• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Science-Fiction Anime Franchise Gets New TV Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Aside form Zero, I like that Macross never backtracked like Gundam, but was instead always moving forward in time. So, like the rest, I hope this is even further in the future than Frontier, has transforming mecha, love triangles, and music as the main focus.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Ha ha, if Macross II is not canon, DYRL is what ? A fantasy ?

In universe movie actually. They directly reference it in 7.

Quote:
And truth be told Macross II was the offical sequel to Macross when it came out in 1992. But the fans complained (poor poor fans couldn't cope with the new mecha designs and new characters) and the powers that be retconned Macross II to be what an alternate timeline

It was never a sequel. When it's done without the the original creators' knowledge or consent, you think it would be canon, at least at this point? It had nothing to do with the fans. They've only recently started to acknowledge it with Triangle Frontier and what not. The reason it's not in 30 is because it takes in the far future.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

The in-universe DYRL is different from our DYRL, but it's the general idea. And the original series doesn't need a modern remake when we already have DYRL, unless they plan on making DYRL into a full series, but either way, we're missing the main character's voice.

Either way, I hope they take their time on this and pour all of the money into it. Macross should also never be a cheap whore like Gundam, whose creators feel the need to constantly have a new animation for it going constantly, I like that Macross has been more sporadic.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
My understanding was that the contradictions within franchises were explained by every movie and TV series being an actual movie and TV series based on the real events (which are not directly depicted)... or is that just a meta fan theory?

Something like that. Kawamori, who's been in charge of every Macross project except SDFM and Macross II, doesn't really care too much for a precise canon so he used the series inside a series explanation in an interview to explain discrepancies between the different series.

Personally I would like a new story with new characters. As great as the animation/look of a Macross The First would be, we've already seen that story and enjoyed it to the fullest. I want the universe to be expanded even more and into the future.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
In any case there is more Macross in Macross II than in any of the other Kawamori-approved sequels/prequels/retcons...

Yep, nothing new and SDFM did almost everything better the first time.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And the original series doesn't need a modern remake when we already have DYRL, unless they plan on making DYRL into a full series, but either way, we're missing the main character's voice.

Kenji Nojima voices Hikaru in games now.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see them go back in time and explore what happened to the original cast after SDFM. There's been hints as to their fate, but nothing substantial and I'd love to see those hints fleshed out. Afterall, the greatest heroes of this universe seem to have just simply vanished into nothingness. (Probably eaten by the Vajra or whatever the heck they used as enemies in 7, I can't remember cause I sort of purged all memory of that show from my brain. With bleach.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't, for the life of me, remember that much about the last Macross show.

Who did boring kabuki crossdresser guy end up with in the end? Nobody?

I wonder who'll be doing the music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
I'd love to see them go back in time and explore what happened to the original cast after SDFM.
This.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
I'd love to see them go back in time and explore what happened to the original cast after SDFM. There's been hints as to their fate, but nothing substantial and I'd love to see those hints fleshed out. Afterall, the greatest heroes of this universe seem to have just simply vanished into nothingness. (Probably eaten by the Vajra or whatever the heck they used as enemies in 7, I can't remember cause I sort of purged all memory of that show from my brain. With bleach.)

I'd be down for the story of the fate of Megaroad 1. That's certainly a story who's time has come. And it moves the franchise's story forward.

It wouldn't even nessisarry have to be a flashback tale, if they either mysteriously return from the Galactic Core, or another Macross Fleet stumbles across them.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Definitely wasn't expecting this. I am curious to see where this goes next.

I'm guessing "Reboot of the original", since they must have run out of new descendants of Max & Milia to revolve the series around by this point.
(Sheesh, what were they doing, thinking of England?) Wink

Quote:
And I don't see how SDF can be considered "so bad it's good." It was cutting-edge space drama for its day.

I'm guessing someone else only remembers Robotech. Rolling Eyes

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

If you want to get technical, it's SUPPOSED to be the "Lin Minmei Story" state-approved history film-within-a-film that was produced on the Macross for propaganda benefit. (Which's why she's already a star when the movie starts.)

And have to admit, wonder how Minmei and Sharon Apple are both going to play out in a new post-Miku Japanese culture.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
And I don't see how SDF can be considered "so bad it's good." It was cutting-edge space drama for its day.

I'm guessing someone else only remembers Robotech. Rolling Eyes

Seriously. SDF-Macross is easily one the most compelling Space Operas of its era. Sure there are tropey/campy elements, due to its era of anime culture. But SDF-Macross is about as far away from 'so bad its good' as you can get. Its a legit masterpiece of military sci-fi.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Quote:
And truth be told Macross II was the offical sequel to Macross when it came out in 1992. But the fans complained (poor poor fans couldn't cope with the new mecha designs and new characters) and the powers that be retconned Macross II to be what an alternate timeline

It was never a sequel. When it's done without the the original creators' knowledge or consent, you think it would be canon, at least at this point? It had nothing to do with the fans. They've only recently started to acknowledge it with Triangle Frontier and what not. The reason it's not in 30 is because it takes in the far future.

No please not this pathetic excuse. When Kawamori dies then what does the franchise dies with him ? Of course not. Kawamori is not the official sanctioned god for all affairs Macross. And Macross II had Mikimoto work on it. Mikimoto worked also on the original so ? Kawamori was one of the many who worked on the Macross project, it was never entirely his. Macross wouldn't be Macross without Mikimoto's designs nor Kawamori's valkyries mecha designs.
At the time Kawamori was doing other projects, like an OVA that had nothing to do with the Macross universe. He was "conviced" to retcon that OVA and it became known as Macross Plus. But Macross Plus ab initio wasn't anything Macross. The universe, the characters etc.. are so different that it doesn't feel like Macross.

Macross II was based 80 years laters from the end of Macross. It was a real sequel because it acknowledge what had happened before. The mecha were updated designs of the classical icons in Macross. The homage to the original goes as far as having a Minmay attack for pete's sake. The UN Spacey spaceships all have that classic "Macross" vibe to it. I mean only a blind would say that Macross II has nothing to do with Macross. Negate the evidence is not a good thing to do even for a fan.

The real failure of the franchise was in not further building upon the legacy of Macross II. Instead the powers that be decided arbitrarily to "evict" Macross II from the Macross timeline as a way to convince Kawamori to take again the reigns of the franchise.
It was all a dirty power game. But if you look at Macross II without the fans rabid hate you'll see just how similar it is to the original tv series. Much more faithful than Macross 7, Macross Frontier, and Macross Zero will ever be.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it's better than Frontier, dear lord I hated the characters in Frontier, story was also on the weak side too.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wonder who'll be doing the music.

All hail the great Yoko Kanno!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5