• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek to Release Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro Film on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainrix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The picture and sound quality look the same to me, and I've never noticed any washed out colors or compressed images on dvd....not sure why people are paying the extra money lol
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Durga: It's technically already out on Blu-Ray, but on imports of dubious AV quality.

Mr. Adventure: Ghibli doesn't own Cagliostro, as it was made before the studio was even established.

angel: Disney's not going to include an anime film which features a line where Lupin calls the Count a pedo. Plus, once again, Cagliostro is not a Ghibli film. It's a TMS film.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I totally forgot about the Dr. Slump movies! Gah!

Hopefully it is only a matter of time until they have all the Lupin, I really want TV series 2 (the one that ran on adult swim back in the day) to come out.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Rainrix wrote:
The picture and sound quality look the same to me, and I've never noticed any washed out colors or compressed images on dvd....not sure why people are paying the extra money lol

Because if you just compare these two screenshot examples (open both it seperate tabs, and switch between them a few times), it becomes very clear.

AKIRA DVD

AKIRA BLU-RAY

EDIT: And here's a site with a few more examples. You can not deny the Standard Definition DVD screens looks visibly worse then the HD screens.

Its especially noticeable on older cell animated films and TV shows, and modern shows animated on DVD. Digital animation from the late 90s and early 2000s, not so much. Since that was animated at lower resolutions, and you can't get much more image fidelity out of it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
zawa: They're never going to have all of Lupin, 'cus it's still going on, even today. Plus, FUNi or Sentai might still call dibs on certain spin-offs or specials in the series. So just be glad Lupin's even been revived at all here.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the best news I heard, thanks Discotek!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Rainrix wrote:

Because if you just compare these two screenshot examples (open both it seperate tabs, and switch between them a few times), it becomes very clear.

AKIRA DVD

AKIRA BLU-RAY

EDIT: And here's a site with a few more examples. You can not deny the Standard Definition DVD screens looks visibly worse then the HD screens.

Its especially noticeable on older cell animated films and TV shows, and modern shows animated on DVD. Digital animation from the late 90s and early 2000s, not so much. Since that was animated at lower resolutions, and you can't get much more image fidelity out of it.

Some people just don't really care apparently. I kind of envy them actually. I have a hard time watching anything that isn't blu-ray these days. Having the best quality possible is extremely important to me. That's one reason most Lupin stuff isn't in my library. I will almost definitely pick this up though. Very Happy
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
If something is ONLY on DVD, I wouldn't have a problem picking it up. There's so much good stuff that isn't on Blu-ray. Besides, older digital animation won't look any better on Blu-ray anyway. My One Piece and Tenchi Muyo GXP DVDs look really slick when played with my Blu-ray player, about as perfect as the images could look, an untrained eye would almost think it was HD. I don't expect either to ever come to Blu-ray, so I'll just keep what I've got. I'm still deciding whether to get Yu Yu Hakusho on Blu-ray or not. I got Seasons 1-2 on DVD before I got my Blu-ray player.

Anyway, I'm excited about this release. Even if you're not a Lupin fan, it's a must-have for Ghibli and Miyazaki fans as well. You don't even need to know anything about Lupin to enjoy this film. I'll definitely be picking up the Blu-ray when it's out, and put it right next to Nausicaa. Razz

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
It isn't great news enough that Discotek will release Castle of Cagliostro with the original title sequence but with the Streamline dub too?

This, my friends, is the definitive release of Cagliostro! The Streamline dub for this movie is awesome! Thank you Discotek for putting this in!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It isn't great news enough that Discotek will release Castle of Cagliostro with the original title sequence but with the Streamline dub too?

That's likely because MangaUS owns their dub and Streamline's is more public-domain, but it works out well anyway. Very Happy

(Never mind the freakin' "Wolf", Streamline's Zenigata was just better, that's all.)
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If something is ONLY on DVD, I wouldn't have a problem picking it up. There's so much good stuff that isn't on Blu-ray. Besides, older digital animation won't look any better on Blu-ray anyway. My One Piece and Tenchi Muyo GXP DVDs look really slick when played with my Blu-ray player, about as perfect as the images could look, an untrained eye would almost think it was HD. I don't expect either to ever come to Blu-ray, so I'll just keep what I've got. Razz

Fair enough. Occasionally I will pick up something that seems unlikely to ever get a blu-ray release. I do think a lot of older animation looks much better on blu-ray though. Just cleaning up the picture can do a lot, but a completely remastered version will usually look substantially better than DVD.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

That's likely because MangaUS owns their dub and Streamline's is more public-domain, but it works out well anyway. Very Happy

(Never mind the freakin' "Wolf", Streamline's Zenigata was just better, that's all.)

When Cagliostro saw a DVD release in Japan, the Streamline dub was included anyway, so I'm sure TMS can probably provide that anyway.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If something is ONLY on DVD, I wouldn't have a problem picking it up. There's so much good stuff that isn't on Blu-ray. Besides, older digital animation won't look any better on Blu-ray anyway. My One Piece and Tenchi Muyo GXP DVDs look really slick when played with my Blu-ray player, about as perfect as the images could look, an untrained eye would almost think it was HD. I don't expect either to ever come to Blu-ray, so I'll just keep what I've got. Razz

Fair enough. Occasionally I will pick up something that seems unlikely to ever get a blu-ray release. I do think a lot of older animation looks much better on blu-ray though. Just cleaning up the picture can do a lot, but a completely remastered version will usually look substantially better than DVD.

He's talking about SD digital animation. Which, except for alleviating some color crush (in Reds and Blacks mostly), there's not much HD can do to improve the image quality. Except make the line aliasing more noticeable.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
The blu purchase will be the 4th time I bought this... from VHS to DVD to the special edition DVD (with the non-moving intro....) to this! I'll hang onto my special edition anyways though.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
Fantastic news. I was actually contemplating importing the Blu-Ray a few days ago, just my luck that Discotek localizes it. Very Happy

Now if only someone would get Isao Takahashi's Only Yesterday already; granted, I just imported it, so I guess I would still like to hold off a license for a bit longer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3