• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Overindulgence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I would buy Kurobas if it was released on DVD here in the U.S. And yeah, Kurobas does skirt the "cusp of fantasy" as someone said here, but not to the amazing extent of Prince of Tennis, which had Tezuka developing special tennis shots with crazy names like (I think this was one) "The Pinnacle of All Human Understanding." Laughing

As for Justin's statement on how much food he eats, I think he's having us on. I've seen him at conventions and he's not fat.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
^
Don't forget Tezuka killing the dinosaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBqBCMpn4ZE
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I love sports anime+manga, still got my dvds of big windup (after having sold off most of my anime to buy manga instead). I love a good story and framing it with sports is fine, i love to see the characters interact and a sports anime based on a team means there are lots of characters.

Cross game was really really good too, the beginning of the story gutted me and i was impressed how much it made me feel for the characters in such a short time. And of course Hajime no ippo is both exciting and hilarious and you only do yourself a disservice to pass it up.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

As for Justin's statement on how much food he eats, I think he's having us on. I've seen him at conventions and he's not fat.

Just because one is not fat, does not mean that one does not or cannot eat a lot. If Justin is highly active, and from what I've heard he is, then he would burn a lot of calories and thus would consume a lot to compensate for that fact.

I've been at revolving sushi places in Japan, and if it wasn't for my wallet screaming "STOP!" I probably could have done what Justin did. Actually, it was more me not wanting to live up to American stereotypes, so I didn't feel like eating until I couldn't move anymore. But, having also been in Japan, I can say that largely their portions are much smaller than one would get in the US. However, if you want a good portion size for the price, you gotta go to a ramen restaurant. One bowl of ramen, and I'm good for the night. Another trick I employed was that with my tour, breakfast was always included, and the breakfasts were typically buffet at the hotels, so just load up on a huge breakfast, and the normal lunches and dinners were more than enough to keep even a big eater like myself satisfied.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Don't forget Tezuka killing the dinosaurs

The comments had me laughing as much as the clip. "More than one ball in play, opponent's score."

SnaphappyFMA wrote:
And yeah, Kurobas does skirt the "cusp of fantasy" as someone said here, but not to the amazing extent of Prince of Tennis, which had Tezuka developing special tennis shots with crazy names like (I think this was one) "The Pinnacle of All Human Understanding."

Have you seen KuroBas lately? Wink

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
And yeah, Kurobas does skirt the "cusp of fantasy" as someone said here, but not to the amazing extent of Prince of Tennis, which had Tezuka developing special tennis shots with crazy names like (I think this was one) "The Pinnacle of All Human Understanding."

Have you seen KuroBas lately? Wink

It's not the biggest, but one of my favourite moments is Rakuzan being introduced as "the Emperor of Creation".
TiffYG2133

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Some of my favorite anime that are/were on are sport ones, Yes, Free is included in that but I'm also really enjoying Yowamushi Pedal, Diamond no Ace & my current fav Kuroko no Basuke. I really have no idea why they are unpopular in the US - Honestly I prefer sport anime to Mecha anime any day (please don't hate me now) Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Quote:
"The Pinnacle of All Human Understanding."

"the Emperor of Creation".

Weren't those characters in Shana?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
My Japanese copy of Gonzo's Brave Story movie was distributed by WB.

I can attest to that. I have it too.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
Warner Bros of Japan is huge over there.

They produced alot of anime related live-action film over there like Black Butler, Kenshin, and many more.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote
Watching real sports on TV always bored me and gym was always my least favorite subject in school...yet I adore sports (and game) anime. I am always sad so many sports series don't make it over here because of bad sales but I do cherish the series I do own: I love my Cross Game and Hikaru no Go manga and my Big Windup DVDs.

Quote:
I think the only great tragedy about lack of sports appeal is that the West will never get to appreciate the master that is Mitsuru Adachi, what I wouldn't do to see just one of his series released here.

The Cross Game manga was licensed and released by Viz
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Justin, I'll send that Kaiten Sushi picture over right away. Very Happy
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Bearing all of this in mind, I wonder how well Yuasa's Ping Pong will do? There's no fan service in the comic and Yuasa, as talented as he is and big a fan of him as I am, he doesn't usually make his money back in sales.

Still, I pray for a blu-ray set eventually (I'm looking towards you, All The Anime).
Relairknight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
If you ask me, I think sport series that lends itself to "easy fanservice" like swimming is one of the keys to get the audience attention. Laughing

I still lament at the absolute dearth of all-girl sport series considering they could take the easy road like Free and make it about swimming as well or even do other ones like gymnastics, diving, or cheerleading (just don't follow that same icky path as that wrestling one a few seasons ago).

Bamboo Blade was really good and it was reasonably popular wasn't it? But still, not many girl sports anymore. Suzuka was fun too.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
I'd say Free could be considered realistic; it's cheesecakey
I don't know what show you were watching, but Free is all about sexually suggestive, scantily clad males. "Cheesecake" describes sexually suggestive, scantily clad females. We already have "beefcake" for this purpose so there's no need to try and bash that square peg through that round hole (ie:repurposing a word).

Yeah, too bad its not set on the East Coast of the US, then it could be Philly Beefcake & Cheese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6