• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Overindulgence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
36 plates of sushi? Damn I'm accused of having a second stomach but I can only do most 20 plates if I'm not really dunk maybe 30 if I am.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
On the subject of sports anime with girls, I am curious about how well Princess Nine sold. I know that there was a lot of positive talk about it, but that does not always translate to good sales figures.
It was the first sports anime that I watched. It might be the only sports anime that I have seen if you do not count Bamboo Blade as a sports anime.

I would consider it to be a sports anime, though ou could argue that it's a comedy first, sports show second. I personally love it, but considering it's S.A.V.E. edition status, I'm guessing it didn't do well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
So that Japanese dude who keeps winning in those hot dog eating contests is the exception, and not the rule, then? Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I *guess* Bamboo Blade is a sports anime. I mean, it does revolve around Kendo, and Kendo is a sport. But as an American, it seems more of a slice-of-life/comedy than a sports anime. OTOH, it did seem to be laying on "Kendo Is Wonderful And Everyone Should Do It" kind of thick. It even went all nationalistic on us with whole "Miyako vs. Carrie" plot line. But even so, Kendo isn't really something I think of as a sport, even though I know it is, so maybe that's why I sorta like it when I otherwise tend to be disdainful towards most sports anime.
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
I watch sports and I watch anime, but I don't watch sports anime. I gave Prince of Tennis, E21, and Hajime no Ippo (among others) a shot, but I just can't get into them.

I guess when it comes to sports, I tend to prefer the real thing over the fiction. Chumps to champs? BCS busters and low-seeded teams making the Final Four. Character development and story? Watch a 30 for 30 documentary. Super moves and skills? SportsCenter's Top 10 Plays.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

As for Justin's statement on how much food he eats, I think he's having us on. I've seen him at conventions and he's not fat.

Someone else already responded to this, but I thought I should chime in.

I was there for the sushi achievement Justin mentions. I myself was taken aback at the massive stack of plates in front of him and can attest to the slack-jawed salarymen around him. Other things I've watched Justin eat:

* Multiple large pizzas. Not at once, but entire large pizzas in one sitting.

* 2 gigantic guacamole burgers with fries (in one sitting)

* A bowl of rice and seafood so big it counted as a "challenge meal" at a local LA restaurant. He didn't finish, but he got through so much of it (this thing was the size of a punchbowl) I thought he might actually burst

To wit Justin is in great shape, eats like a goddamn dragon and I'm the fat one who doesn't eat much at all. Let's all just keep things like "metabolism" and also "people who work really hard at staying in shape and thus do" in mind.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
Zac: Should've recorded it. Razz
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

As for Justin's statement on how much food he eats, I think he's having us on. I've seen him at conventions and he's not fat.

Someone else already responded to this, but I thought I should chime in.

I was there for the sushi achievement Justin mentions. I myself was taken aback at the massive stack of plates in front of him and can attest to the slack-jawed salarymen around him. Other things I've watched Justin eat:

* Multiple large pizzas. Not at once, but entire large pizzas in one sitting.

* 2 gigantic guacamole burgers with fries (in one sitting)

* A bowl of rice and seafood so big it counted as a "challenge meal" at a local LA restaurant. He didn't finish, but he got through so much of it (this thing was the size of a punchbowl) I thought he might actually burst

To wit Justin is in great shape, eats like a goddamn dragon and I'm the fat one who doesn't eat much at all. Let's all just keep things like "metabolism" and also "people who work really hard at staying in shape and thus do" in mind.

I am completely astonished by this. I've seen you and Justin do your ANN panels at Anime L.A. and Justin looks fit and trim, just as you've said. He must exercise all the time and have the metabolism of a Kenyan marathon runner.

Really, I'm amazed. Shocked
stanislaus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
Fun column. Thanks, Justin.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Even though it seems like more and more of an inevitability, I really would like to see John O'Donnell (or some early CPM staff) on the podcast. It would be interesting to hear about all those early endeavors CPM took to getting anime in the states (such as those early dub collaborations with Manga UK, entering the market with Project A-ko and Tank Police, the aborted Minna Agechau release, the hoopla surrounding Overfiend, the decision to pickup MD Geist and plaster him on everything, etc.), especially just to gain some historical perspective.
toyNN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
I kind of think the sports anime fail outside of Japan because usually watching the real thing is better for most. Especially when they stray so far from how it would actually happen. Along with Justin's comments Kuroko's Basketball and Free! seem to have a lot of success with the female audience that doesn't translate so much outside of Japan (for physical sales).

What I'm always surprised at is those two franchises put out music CDs - usually character duet singles that sell pretty well, 10,000 - 25,000 copies. I can only think its also a lot of female fans doing the buying.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
There is one possible exception to the "sports anime bomb" trend that may or may not be worth mentioning: IGPX.

It actually didn't do so well in america the first time around (it was moved to Fridays at midnight from its original Toonami airing with just a few episodes left in its run), and was eventually written off, but it came back to the new [adult swim] recently and got much love, praise, and fanfare, and it's still on the block in reruns right now. Maybe it isn't a true success, but it's probably the closest any sports anime has come to making a dent in the public consciousness.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Watching real sports on TV always bored me and gym was always my least favorite subject in school...yet I adore sports (and game) anime. I am always sad so many sports series don't make it over here because of bad sales but I do cherish the series I do own: I love my Cross Game and Hikaru no Go manga and my Big Windup DVDs.

Quote:
I think the only great tragedy about lack of sports appeal is that the West will never get to appreciate the master that is Mitsuru Adachi, what I wouldn't do to see just one of his series released here.

The Cross Game manga was licensed and released by Viz

And in fact the anime is available subbed by Viz (and on Hulu as a result).

Great show, like all of Mitsuru Adachi's work. Very mainstream, even for Japan (no late night airing for this show, which got decent ratings in its weekend timeslot), and I think that makes it harder to bring to the US, as people mentioned.
nishime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So that Japanese dude who keeps winning in those hot dog eating contests is the exception, and not the rule, then? Laughing

You got to figure that in any population, there's going to be a certain percentage of big eaters. Or at least people who are able to eat a lot. Extra stretchy stomachs or whatever. I expect in food-poor populations, those people don't get to find out, but with plenty of available food, even Japan can do tv shows featuring people eating 4 or 5 kilograms of food at a go.

Incidentally, Free! is a considerably shorter show than most sports anime. Not so big an investment for the buyer, so that might help. I've always hypothesized that some shows would do better if they could skip over the two or three box sets of beginning bits and go straight to the fujoshi-bait episodes, but that's not testable.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Stands to reason ... if he was the rule, it wouldn't be that Japanese guy, it would be those Japanese guys that always win the eating contests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6