• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racebit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Highway Star wrote:
Quick heads-up, PictureBox are closing for good and with the 50% sale across the site this may be your last chance to pick up some Osamu Tezuka, Yuuichi Yokoyama, Seeichi Hayashi and other odd manga things before they go crazy OOP and overpriced!;

http://www.pictureboxinc.com/blogs/pbox-world/2013/12/02/massive-50-off-sale/

I just received the Gold Pollen from PictureBox. What a magnificent edition. All manga editions should be like this. Hard cover, large format (well larger than usual manga format), we can truly appreciate the drawing. It is a crime against humanity (at least my humanity) that this superb series (Masters of alternative manga) will end with its first volume!!!
jimpac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'd sort of forgotten about this thread! Good to see it is becoming active again. Last year was a real good year for alternative (for want of a better word) manga. Not sure this year will match it, especially with the closing of Picture Box.

Speaking of the two manga lines that Ryan Holmberg was doing for them, I've heard that the Ten Cents Manga line has already been picked up by another publisher. No other details yet. Out of the two, I'd much rather see the Masters of Alternative Manga line be continued. In the same format if possible. Ryan Holmberg's actually doing a lecture at my university at the end of next month on Garo and the Birth of Alternative Manga so, if I get chance to speak to him afterwards, I'll try asking if there's been any interest from other publishers. Guessing he probably won't be able to speak about it even if there has, but if I find anything out I'll post it here.
racebit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:
I'd sort of forgotten about this thread! Good to see it is becoming active again. Last year was a real good year for alternative (for want of a better word) manga. Not sure this year will match it, especially with the closing of Picture Box.

Currently the only steady editor of alternative manga seems to be D&Q, now focusing on Mizuki. Topshelf seems to be totally off now.

Quote:
Speaking of the two manga lines that Ryan Holmberg was doing for them, I've heard that the Ten Cents Manga line has already been picked up by another publisher. No other details yet. Out of the two, I'd much rather see the Masters of Alternative Manga line be continued. In the same format if possible. Ryan Holmberg's actually doing a lecture at my university at the end of next month on Garo and the Birth of Alternative Manga so, if I get chance to speak to him afterwards, I'll try asking if there's been any interest from other publishers. Guessing he probably won't be able to speak about it even if there has, but if I find anything out I'll post it here.

It would be great if you can get any feedback. Even if he can not tell anything, you may be able to get some signs, such as "unlikely" or "let's see".
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
racebit wrote:

Currently the only steady editor of alternative manga seems to be D&Q, now focusing on Mizuki. Topshelf seems to be totally off now.

Wow... How quickly people forget.

Lets see...
Utsubora (from a alt eros mag)
Helter Skelter (from a 90's fashion mag)
PINK (from an 80's alt manga mag)
Tropic of the Sea (80's, at the time from a young artist magazine)
In Clothes Named Fat (indie women's culture magazine)
jimpac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:

I hadn't forgotten about ya, Ed! I got three of the titles you listed last year. Utsubora, Helter Skelter, and Tropic of the Sea. I've not managed to read Tropic of the Sea yet. Out of the other two I enjoyed Helter Skelter more but I don't think I'm really the target audience for Josei...

racebit wrote:
It would be great if you can get any feedback. Even if he can not tell anything, you may be able to get some signs, such as "unlikely" or "let's see".

I'll definitely give it my best shot!

Quote:

Fantagraphics are releasing Nijigahara Holograph later this year and are still slowly releasing Wandering Son. They've also picked up the Massive anthology that was originally slated to be coming out from Picturebox. Granted the only one I'll be picking up is Nijigahara Holograph...
Looks like D&Q have only announced one manga release this year which is the second volume of Showa. It's really good but I've got my fingers crossed for more Kitaro. Also it would be nice if they released at least one other title from a different author but, yeah, seems like they're concentrating all their efforts on Mizuki.

I heard over twitter that Top Shelf were still going to release Cigarette Girl at least, but I'm not holding my breath.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
So Crunchyroll finally translated up to the latest volume of Space Brothers (they're still missing 5 or so chapters though) I'm way back at volume 3 so i suppose it doesn't matter. The first 2 volumes of Inside Mari were good. I still haven't read the latest issue of Gen though I will soon for sure. The final 2 volumes of To Terra... arrived can't wait to re read the series. Super excited about My Neighbor Seki being annouced.
warren.ellis.798

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
[[i]EDIT: Don't ask for scans. -TK[/i]]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
warren.ellis, asking for scans is not allowed.
racebit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
racebit wrote:

Lets see...
Utsubora (from a alt eros mag)
Helter Skelter (from a 90's fashion mag)
PINK (from an 80's alt manga mag)
Tropic of the Sea (80's, at the time from a young artist magazine)
In Clothes Named Fat (indie women's culture magazine)

Hi Ed, the list you mention is mostly Josei oriented, not my type, but most are good works that I still appreciate.
From Vertical I own some the more alternative books from Tezuka: Ode to Kirihito, Ayako and Book of Human Insects.
Nowadays I am looking for more underground manga, like Takita Yu, Yoshiharu Tsuge, Kazuichi Hanawa, Masahiko Matsumoto.

One author I think would fit very well with vertical is Kazuo Kamimura. It is easily the most beatiful manga art, which can please both mainstream and alternative at same time . I think it will please even Josei fans. I don't understand why he is not published in English. I have a bookshelf full of his books in french. Really very good.

Last edited by racebit on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:20 am; edited 2 times in total
racebit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:
Ryan Holmberg's actually doing a lecture at my university at the end of next month on Garo and the Birth of Alternative Manga so, if I get chance to speak to him afterwards, I'll try asking if there's been any interest from other publishers. Guessing he probably won't be able to speak about it even if there has, but if I find anything out I'll post it here.

Jimpac, did you get to talk with Ryan Holmberg?
Even if not, how did you like the lecture on Garo?
jimpac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
Racebit wrote:
Jimpac, did you get to talk with Ryan Holmberg?
Even if not, how did you like the lecture on Garo?

Yeah, I went to the talk. He did a brief introduction to Garo and the different styles that it contained throughout it's history but the brunt of the talk was about Sanpei Shirato and Kamui-Den. It was really informative and I'm still trying to unpack it all.

What is probably of most interest to every one here is that, when he was giving his introduction, he mentioned what he was currently working on. In relation to translations he said that, although it has not been announced officially yet, he is currently working on translating a book of Tadao Tsuge stories for Drawn and Quarterly. I think he said that it isn't due for release until next December though (2015?). In case people don't know, Tadao is Yoshiharu Tsuge's older brother! Guessing it's fine to mention it here as he announced it in front of a crowd of people. Would be good if he actually meant this December. D&Q only seem to have the second Showa book scheduled for release this year as far as manga goes.

I spoke to him briefly afterwards but it was mainly about research materials for my dissertation. He seemed like a nice chap. Wish I'd got to quiz him more but there seemed to be a few people who wanted to chat to him.
racebit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:
In relation to translations he said that, although it has not been announced officially yet, he is currently working on translating a book of Tadao Tsuge stories for Drawn and Quarterly. I think he said that it isn't due for release until next December though (2015?). In case people don't know, Tadao is Yoshiharu Tsuge's older brother!

Great news Jimpac. It will be very good to know another undeground manga artist, specially with a style close to Yoshiharu Tsuge. Thanks a lot for the heads-up.

I would have loved to attend that lecture as well. Also very nice that you are able to do your work around that!

Thanks for sharing it with us.
racebit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:
In relation to translations he said that, although it has not been announced officially yet, he is currently working on translating a book of Tadao Tsuge stories for Drawn and Quarterly. I think he said that it isn't due for release until next December though (2015?). In case people don't know, Tadao is Yoshiharu Tsuge's older brother!

The 3rd volume of Mizuki Showa is already on pre-order, shipping in November. So it seems D&Q is now planning for a release each six months, matching a possible Tadao release by end of 2015:
Showa 1 - Nov 2013,
Showa 2 - May 2014,
Showa 3 - Nov 2014
Showa 4 - May 2015?
Tadao Tsuge - Nov 2015?

I hope D&Q keeps that pace.
racebit

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I found this very interesting online book Manga Zombie: http://comipress.com/special/manga-zombie

There are several authors reviewed. The one I found most interesting, specially not having heard of before, is Suzuki Ryōsei:
http://comipress.com/print/book/export/html/2990

BTW can anyone point to other places discussing underground manga. This thread is a little dead lately...
GSam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I'm super excited! Only a few months until What did you eat yesterday?, Nijigahara Holograph, and Insufficient Direction are released! Anime smile I've especially been wanting to read What did you eat yesterday? for ages now. I'm a huge Fumi Yoshinaga fan so it'll be great seeing more of her work over here.

Crunchyroll features Insufficient Direction and a number of Moyocco Anno manga now. I'm sure a lot of people here are diehard physical copy people though. It doesn't help that Crunchyroll's manga reader is utterly abhorrent. I'm curious to see if they'll pick up some more obscure titles.

Likewise Digital Manga is picking up a number of Tezuka titles to publish online. I wonder when those are coming out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 83 of 88