• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's 1st Directorial Work Listed in 13-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Box Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
That's a big box set. I guess if you've never bought any of his works then this would be the collector's item edition to get.
Toester_Strudel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
The collection is being released on my birthday! Surprised
It would of been an amazing birthday gift if it was available in the US...
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I imagine that we'll eventually see a similar collection released by Disney. Hopefully it'll be less costly, like around $150.

Highly doubt that Cagliostro will be included though since Discotek owns the rights in North America.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, I'd love to own this but my measly student credit card doesn't go that high! Laughing
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Do all of the films have english subs &/or dubs? I've looked on the Amazon page but I just get a block to text with symbols mixed in.

I assume they would since it would be easy to just repackage the data on the disks rather than printing completely separate disks.
Samo2222

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that the Cagliostro Blu-Ray picture won't be jumpy? Please let if be...
Toriko36

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
For everyone discussing price regarding this boxset, you've clearly never seen how much one title goes for on Blu-Ray, usually around 7000 yen (about $65 USD each). So 11 films X $65 a piece = around $715+.

I've imported a few titles and the latest was Mononoke Hime and it looks absolutely gorgeous in HD. Well worth the $65 plus $15 for shipping. I also couldn't wait a full year or more for the disney release.

I HIGHLY doubt we will ever see a complete box set from Disney. In the US, it's not that kind of market. Besides us (the ANN fans) most people will buy an occasional Ghibli title here and there.

This is an absolutely incredible boxset with all of the films on Blu Ray and whomever purchases this, is a true fan and it's a real treat.
I hope it sells really well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Disney can't even market a proper Disney Princess boxset without including non-(story canon)princesses like Pocahontas and Mulan, so they'll never get to a complete Miyazaki set. That Princess set needs to swap those two out for Snow White and Sleeping Beauty and add Frozen, and it'd be nearly perfect.
sillykeronian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I almost can't believe it - I went ahead and ordered it o.o;

I had some points on CDJapan so I used them towards the set (got a few dollars off, at least) and now trying to process it. And, I don't have all of these films yet and the ones I do have are either: scratched and skip [thanks to siblings *sigh*], the boxes are of low quality, or they're only DVDs.

I did some number crunching and even at our Blu-ray/DVD prices for all 11 of his films, it'll come out at about $400 all together (not including shipping and/or gas to pick it up) brand-new. And, on CDJapan, it's about $577 to buy it. So, for an extra $177 you also get: "On Your Mark", his first work "Yuki no Taiyo", some episodes he directed himself and the entire official press conference of his retirement announcement plus any extras they put with the movies. And, on CDJapan, you get exclusive freebies for ordering.

Do I think it's extremely expensive? YES!! For me, is it a good buy? As myself and circumstances, yet it is :3
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a better deal than the Aniplex stuff, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2