• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of the World RPG for 3DS Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
3DS, huh...? Surprised they decided to go to the 3DS, given the Tales of producer went on record he felt the fanbase was Sony bound.

At any rate, this could go either way, localization wise. It probably hs a higher chance of being localized, due to being on the 3DS as opposed to the Vita. However, at the same time, since it's not a main title entry, they might not even bother. Though I am not liking the idea of if it's Japan only, I'm going to have to have a second 3DS to play this.

The only other concern I have is whether or not they'd have the foresight to design the game to be bilingual for localization... Or if there will be a dub period (though this won't affect my purchase either way, just prefer having the original audio included). The other thing being the Opening song, though lately Namco Bandai has been pretty good about this.
wohdin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
Tales of the World is, in my opinion, proof positive that Namdai absolutely hates their Western fans. Here, let's make a whole bunch of spinoffs that fans outside of Japan will drool over but never actually get to play!

I know Radiant Mythology 1 got localized, but that's one out of what, like 10 now? Not to mention we STILL don't have Rebirth/Hearts/Innocence/Tempest/VS. Namdai seriously needs to get on the ball with localization... Although they're far from the only one.

And this being on the 3DS - the only region-locked portable - is like rubbing salt in the wound with sandpaper.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
Abandoned PSP/PS Vita? D:

Maybe they'll release a 'better' version later? :/
notreve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
This is quite funny because a year ago Baba told everyone to screw themselves and buy a Sony console if they wanted a Tales Of game. Rolling Eyes

I wonder if there are still enough idiots out there to buy another beta game when there is a perfect version already planned for a Sony console/portable. Laughing
LinkSword

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
If they don't bring this to Europe I'll eat my hat in anger. Alright, I do not own a hat but I will buy one just to eat it.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
So this is what they put on a Nintendo system instead of an new game? :/

These games have such a low chance of getting localized. And I bet they'll be using this game (like the limited Abyss release) to gauge interest for Tales games on Nintendo systems...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
I need to see some gameplay before deciding to import.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This is just a 3DS port of Tales of Tactics Union, take my word on it. The magazine doesn't need to state it. It's pretty much a carbon copy port. They're simply adding fully voiced dialogue and a few new pieces of artwork (for the two little Mormo-esque mascot twerps and for the Mystic Artes). Of course, it will not be localized since our Namco has refused to handle any more portable Tales since the dismal sales of the first Radiant Myth. Plus, since there are so many Tales heroes (there's a lot more than just the ones shown here), dubbing them all on a portable localization's budget would be nigh impossible, meaning they'd be left in Japanese...and that would not sit well with a lot of folks on this side of the hemisphere.

Hoppy800 wrote:

Shinryu's run of the mobile version gives you the basic idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLnApxlNQA
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This is just a 3DS port of Tales of Tactics Union, take my word on it. The magazine doesn't need to state it. It's pretty much a carbon copy port. They're simply adding fully voiced dialogue and a few new pieces of artwork (for the two little Mormo-esque mascot twerps and for the Mystic Artes). Of course, it will not be localized since our Namco has refused to handle any more portable Tales since the dismal sales of the first Radiant Myth. Plus, since there are so many Tales heroes (there's a lot more than just the ones shown here), dubbing them all on a portable localization's budget would be nigh impossible, meaning they'd be left in Japanese...and that would not sit well with a lot of folks on this side of the hemisphere.

Hoppy800 wrote:

Shinryu's run of the mobile version gives you the basic idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLnApxlNQA

It doesn't look nor play terribly, I wouldn't mind importing it, but it's more of a simplistic SRPG that could and should be priced in the eshop for 3500 yen or less maybe 4000 at worst with a retail edition for collectors similar to how some titles are being released on the Vita, Hotaru no Nikki for example.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie!!
Chibiterasu11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I was excited to read that a Tales game was headed to the 3DS, then realized that it was a Tales of the World game and how only one of those games ever made it to the US, and then I bitterly, coldly dismissed my own excitement. Mad
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
Tales of the World is, in my opinion, proof positive that Namdai absolutely hates their Western fans. Here, let's make a whole bunch of spinoffs that fans outside of Japan will drool over but never actually get to play!
Yep, it's the non-localization of a cheap spin-off that shows Namco hates the western fans. Who cares about that new seemingly devotion to putting main entry console games with few problems. That dosen't mean anything.

Either way they've already made clear why the Vita releases aren't coming. Though with thier new outlook and expectations on Tales in the west, I wonder if they don't think they could make some sort of profit on Vita releases. I mean Atlus has seemingly done well with P4 and that's a port of a game already available.

oh well I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1