• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
gaijiN5; a game to teach Japanese by immersion, Mnemonics, SRS & more

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaijinSEKAI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey everybody!

I'm currently working on a game called gaijiN5 that you might be interested in! It's a Visual MUD game to teach Japanese by immersion using various memory and psychology tricks to make it stick.

It's currently in it's Kickstarter phase right now, but funding is vital to setting up a team rather than making it a one man show(which I'll still do if I have to cause I think the idea is great). I was hesitant on evangelising to forums as I see a lot of subpar projects do, but I can't think of any better way to get the word out about it(I'd love to hear suggestions). Also I figure by reaching out, I can answer any questions you have in your own environment!

I'm sure when it is completed you will find it to be a very efficient and fast way of learning!

If you want to know more about the game, you can check it out at [link removed]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
gaijinSEKAI wrote:
I was hesitant on evangelising to forums...

And you were correct in your hesitation, because self-advertising and solicitations of personal projects and/or endeavors is frowned upon in these forums.

It's okay if you want feedback and are actually willing to discuss things. But pure advertising is often seen as intrusive, invasive, and frankly, a little annoying by the community.

People come here often asking for all sorts of participation:

- "[I made this crappy video about funny random anime moments!] subscribe to my YouTube channel!"

- "I created an anime blog. Go read it [posts a link, and that's it]."

- "I need help with a paper I'm writing for school about anime, make a bunch of lists [or take this very broad and generalized poll] about your fandom so I can include it as my research material."

- "I'm making this [homemade manga, flash movie, fanfiction, or whatever] and need some ideas. Anybody wanna' help?"

But all it really takes to differentiate between an ad or recruiting spiel and a request for some honest feedback for something you're passionate about is a little re-worked sentence structure and the presence of some intent to converse.

Otherwise, you're just coming off like another one of those one-shot door-to-door salesmen users.

Please try again.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1