• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PachiPortrait

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
You can write "this was bad because there were such and such mistakes" and not "this was bad because I think it will become harem anime with self-insert protag".

Ah, so they're allowed to have objective opinions, but not subjective opinions; I see how this is. That old credo against reviews; they must be completely objective and avoid any personal feelings from the writer. Tell us what WE want to hear, not what THEY think.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten that there was some sort of uproar about the politics in Mahouka. Weren't Koreans also upset about their portrayals? I don't plan to watch it, not because of all the hate it's getting, I'm just not interested in it at the moment.

The only things I'm watching at the moment are Jojo and Puchimas.

I plan to watch Date a Live II, Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka, Hitsugi no Chaika, Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san, Mahou Shoujo Taisen, Mangaka-san to Assistant-san and Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin, so I'll be greatly interested in what the preview guide has to say about them.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
I had forgotten that there was some sort of uproar about the politics in Mahouka. Weren't Koreans also upset about their portrayals? I don't plan to watch it, not because of all the hate it's getting, I'm just not interested in it at the moment.

The only things I'm watching at the moment are Jojo and Puchimas.

I dunno about Koreans, but the main character of Mahouka nukes China with a bomb like 20 times bigger than the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs combined because the author is racist piece of shit.

Mahouka is The Turner Diaries-level of racist.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
So far, the Kawaii Hostel one is off at a pretty good start, and I might give Irregular School another episode look-see.

Thus far, Boobs and Soul has a feint scent of Korean to its animation, so I'm pretty much dropping that. As for Dragomanure Academy, you know it's a bad show if Random Curiosity can't give it a good review. Dropped.

World Beautiful and Not Captain Planet, still up in the air. Former looks beautiful, could have done without seeing the kid's naked butt in the end credits. Latter I have absolutely no clue what's going on, so I'm required to continue just to find out.

Still got One Week Friends to check out, been waiting for that one.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
PachiPortrait wrote:
Daerian wrote:
You can write "this was bad because there were such and such mistakes" and not "this was bad because I think it will become harem anime with self-insert protag".

Ah, so they're allowed to have objective opinions, but not subjective opinions; I see how this is. That old credo against reviews; they must be completely objective and avoid any personal feelings from the writer. Tell us what WE want to hear, not what THEY think.

I'm sorry to say, but this has nothing to do with old and wrong opinion that review must be objective. I'm nowhere near that bandwagon.
This is not question of subjective and objective opinion - after all, opinions can only be subjective. By writing review you are sharing your subjective opinion. The main problem is if you base it on facts, or on baseless accusations.
Theron Martin wrote subjective review, giving Mahouka 2. I Find his review very good, because it's based on facts subjective opinion. Different than mine, but valid and good.
I find Rebeca Silverman and Hope Chapman reviews bad, because they write extremely subjective reviews based on their thinking what will be in the show in the future, not what was really in the show.
Is this clear now?
DLH112

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for giving me a few pages of entertainment to read through, i was worried/nervous when i was the first one that brought up mahouka.
Chagen46 wrote:
So I decided to actually watch Mahouka episode 1.

-ED sounds literally exactly like SAO's, or maybe LISA just has that unique of a voice
just saying, i'm pretty sure it's the OP, just used as the ED in ep 1. Yah, some artists have a unique style/voice that makes their songs sound a little too similar. I've found this especially with nano.RIPE songs and the group that did the strike the blood and highschool of the dead OPs.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
--lots of stuff about the politics of Mahouka--

This took me aback and makes the series seem very distasteful. And yet, often writers use tricks like reframing to make people examine their own actions and beliefs (Planet of the Apes, for example, is a classic example of this).

Perhaps he is reframing WW2 history to show how offensive and wrong it is when such things happen to you? The fact that it draws on a history that is often glossed over or mischaracterized by some Japanese makes me think that's a distinct possibility. It depends upon how the writer characterizes certain elements. I was going to watch this anyway, but now this adds some intriguing depth to see how this is handled.

Of course, it could be just as distasteful as it appears, in which case, yuck. But it could also be a lot more than that, so I'll take a chance, because stories that do that and work are among the most rewarding I've read or seen.

Thanks for the information you've provided!
Daerian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
DLH112 wrote:
Thanks everyone for giving me a few pages of entertainment to read through, i was worried/nervous when i was the first one that brought up mahouka.
Chagen46 wrote:
So I decided to actually watch Mahouka episode 1.

-ED sounds literally exactly like SAO's, or maybe LISA just has that unique of a voice
just saying, i'm pretty sure it's the OP, just used as the ED in ep 1. Yah, some artists have a unique style/voice that makes their songs sound a little too similar. I've found this especially with nano.RIPE songs and the group that did the strike the blood and highschool of the dead OPs.

Well, this is still not on level of ALI PROJECT, whose songs sound sometimes pretty much identical (but I still love them Very Happy)
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I dunno about Koreans, but the main character of Mahouka nukes China with a bomb like 20 times bigger than the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs combined because the author is racist piece of shit.

Is this something you know from his writings in other areas, or something you are assuming because of this series?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Is this something you know from his writings in other areas, or something you are assuming because of this series?

Well, I know that the author is "NIPPON STRONG AND DA BEST" all the time from what I've seen other people say about it. And the main characters take out like half the Chinese army by themselves. But the overall books are just a lot of "JAPAN THE BEST, ALL OTHER ASIANS SUCK" along with the marty stu bullshit.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Rebecca's question about the English title of Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou there's actually a double pun in the title. The first is like you mentioned, "manors = manners" with the second being "hostel = hostile". So it could be The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior" or The Kawai Complex Guide to Manners and Hostile Behavior.

The original Japanese title had a much more simple pun, the title could also be read as meaning "We are all pitiful"
Durga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Haikyu wowed me pretty heavily with its first episode. Already like the lead characters, animation is really impressive in some places, and volleyball is not something I see much of in anime. This is pretty much a perfect replacement for Kuroko's Basketball now that it's on break again, but I foresee this carving out its own little niche among sports anime. Solid show, I'm already a fan.

Seeing Baby Steps right after Haikyu was a bit of a downgrade, both visually and sports-wise. It's trying something different, but neither of the leads were that interesting to me and it's not nearly as exciting as Haikyu. Might get better, but I don't think I'll be following this one.

One Week Friends is cute, I guess. It's pleasant to look at but not a whole lot going on for me otherwise. The premise gives the impression this show could be very repetitive, and given the slow pacing of this episode that's not an exciting idea.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Well, I know that the author is "NIPPON STRONG AND DA BEST" all the time from what I've seen other people say about it. And the main characters take out like half the Chinese army by themselves. But the overall books are just a lot of "JAPAN THE BEST, ALL OTHER ASIANS SUCK" along with the marty stu bullshit.

I'm not convinced that the books mean what they're saying on the surface. But if someone can tell me that they have heard that from the man's own mouth (in interviews/blogs/whatever), then I'm done with him and this show.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

You've already shown yourself to have no f'ing clue what you're talking about based on the nuke comment earlier. If you did, you'd realize how stupid using a nuke in the Mahouka world would be.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Not sure that has anything to with with racist. US movies have one single guy take on Russia. Chinese movies have one few guys take on entire Japanese army. Even though everybody knows Japanese pretty much body China in WWII, China changed the history to make them win most of the battles.

I'm not sure why Americans are so sensitive about racist. A NFL player made some Asia comment that Asians don't felt like it was racist, but white think it's racist. /facepalm

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 50