• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Persons.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I think that Eric Vale mentions that they are married and links her two names in the commentary tracks for ... Gunslinger Girl, maybe Blue Gender? I'll have to look.

EDIT: Ok. so it's in episode 12 of Gunslinger Girl. All the voice directors are doing the commentary, Claes pops up on screen and Chris Bevins says "Claes is played by Eric Vale's wife." Then Bevins yammers on about how he wanted to get her into some productions, and he eventually asks Vale to name her. Vale makes up a ridiculous stage name, and they make jokes, then he says: "Before I get killed, I should say that her name is Alese A-L-E-S-E ...[awkward pause] ... Johnson, because she uses her maiden name instead of her married name which would be Alese Vale." Then there is an awkward pause because everybody there knows her married name is Johnson, because Vale is just a union/stage name that he uses. Then in the end credits, it shows Claes was played by Alese Watson.

So, technically circumstantial, but yeah... same person.
Laethiel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Please merge:

Gou Koga (correct)
Tsuyoshi Koga

Both entries have the same kanji (古賀豪), and the credits for http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/古賀豪 (which gives the reading as こが ごう) are split between them.
jomy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
This is a bit of a weird case. The one to delete already existed, I didn't create him, but his page was apparently empty. It is Terada Makoto:

person#1663

And like in the japanese wiki where I found this info, ANN gave me an error when after submitting the kanji for his last name, I tried to submit the one for his first name. It was telling me this was the real name of Mugihito:

person#445

I added the role I was trying to add in both pages: Adolph of the Swan Lake anime movie.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Empty pages are there because someone put in the wrong name (or whatever), and they CAN'T be merged. Merging is permanent, which means if someone else comes along with that name (perfectly common place, there's tons of people with the same name), then that person can't have a page created for them. That's why they leave the blank pages there.
jomy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Empty pages are there because someone put in the wrong name (or whatever), and they CAN'T be merged. Merging is permanent, which means if someone else comes along with that name (perfectly common place, there's tons of people with the same name), then that person can't have a page created for them. That's why they leave the blank pages there.

Um, is that really a valid reason? You've merged pages of people with similar names before where the only difference was like one letter in either the last or first name... Or if your problem is specifically with "merging", then that page with the old name should be deleted. Either way, at the moment it should not be there.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Um, is that really a valid reason?

Yes it is.

jomy wrote:
You've merged pages of people with similar names before where the only difference was like one letter in either the last or first name...

Only in cases like ō/ou. Sometimes even official sources take different approaches. Anime dazed

jomy wrote:
Or if your problem is specifically with "merging", then that page with the old name should be deleted.

I've set Makoto Terada as an alias of Mugihito.

There are two types of merging: aliasing (non-permanent) and alternate spelling (permanent). Aliasing is used when the person changes his/her name (marriage, new pen/stage name due change of agency, separate 18+ or non-union credits, etc.); alternate spelling is for two or more companies romanizing the same name with two or more transliteration systems.

There had been a "third" type of duplicated names: credits point to the same person, but only one romanization is correct, and the difference is not as little as ō/ou (see example below). While such cases are rare nowadays (thanks to popularity of anime in the West and more Japanese companies looking for overseas markets), it was rather common in the early days of anime licensing. For example, how would you romanize Japanese given name 「英一」? "Eiichi" or "Kazuhiko"? Back in the days when communication tools between US and Japanese companies were less accessible and much slower, such errors were quite common, and I had to admit that I made a few unnecessary irreversible mergings because of this when I took this job almost ten year ago.... Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jomy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
jomy wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Um, is that really a valid reason?

Yes it is.^

Sorry, what I was trying to say is: under the premise you described above, anyone could create any page using any potential name and defend it by saying that in the future, it's very possible that someone might be born with that name. To say the least, that premise is a little far-fetched...

dormcat wrote:
jomy wrote:
You've merged pages of people with similar names before where the only difference was like one letter in either the last or first name...

Only in cases like ō/ou. Sometimes even official sources take different approaches. Anime dazed

See above. What I was trying to say is that you've merged for lesser reasons than people having two recognized names (a birth name and a changed one), ie for typos in the names. And yet according to your above premise, even the ō/ou thing could be a different person's name and not just a typo.

dormcat wrote:
jomy wrote:
Or if your problem is specifically with "merging", then that page with the old name should be deleted.

I've set Makoto Terada as an alias of Mugihito.
There are two types of merging: aliasing (non-permanent) and alternate spelling (permanent). Aliasing is used when the person changes his/her name (marriage, new pen/stage name due change of agency, separate 18+ or non-union credits, etc.); alternate spelling is for two or more companies romanizing the same name with two or more transliteration systems.

There had been a "third" type of duplicated names: credits point to the same person, but only one romanization is correct, and the difference is not as little as ō/ou (see example below). While such cases are rare nowadays (thanks to popularity of anime in the West and more Japanese companies looking for overseas markets), it was rather common in the early days of anime licensing. For example, how would you romanize Japanese given name 「英一」? "Eiichi" or "Kazuhiko"? Back in the days when communication tools between US and Japanese companies were less accessible and much slower, such errors were quite common, and I had to admit that I made a few unnecessary irreversible mergings because of this when I took this job almost ten year ago.... Anime dazed

Ok, but this isn't the situation at all. This is a case of the voice actor being known by another name with different kanjis. However, both names refer to the same person. He's just credited differently in different series/movies. In this movie, Swan Lake, he was credited as Terada Makoto (don't worry, I know you prefer Makoto Terada, I'm just not comfortable with using that format outside of formal submissions to the encyclopedia), whereas in other series, he was credited as Mugihito. I'm just saying that when we know for sure that something is accurate, we shouldn't let the idea that something could go wrong just because it has in the past trip us up.

At any rate, I see that you've done some kind of merging of the two, or redirecting, I'm not really sure which. But I have two concerns. First of all, there is a Given name, but why no Family name? And btw if you need the kanji for Amachi, it's this: 天地. Secondly, since I submitted the role of Adolph under both names and only one should remain, I will leave it up to you which one to delete. Or, just tell me which one to delete, and I will delete it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
Ok, but this isn't the situation at all. This is a case of the voice actor being known by another name with different kanjis. However, both names refer to the same person. He's just credited differently in different series/movies.

I'm fully aware of what you're talking about.

Quote:
At any rate, I see that you've done some kind of merging of the two, or redirecting, I'm not really sure which. But I have two concerns. First of all, there is a Given name, but why no Family name? And btw if you need the kanji for Amachi, it's this: 天地.

Dan improved the system couple years ago so each alias can have respective kanji name. Before the update, however, an entry can have only one set of kanji name; all alias(es) can only have transliterated romaji. Mergers taken place before the update required to have additional kanji taken down; now they can be added back.

Feel free to add 天地 yourself. Tip: use the pull-down menu.

jomy wrote:
Secondly, since I submitted the role of Adolph under both names and only one should remain, I will leave it up to you which one to delete. Or, just tell me which one to delete, and I will delete it.

Didn't you write "In this movie, Swan Lake, he was credited as Terada Makoto" yourself?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jomy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
At any rate, I see that you've done some kind of merging of the two, or redirecting, I'm not really sure which. But I have two concerns. First of all, there is a Given name, but why no Family name? And btw if you need the kanji for Amachi, it's this: 天地.

Dan improved the system couple years ago so each alias can have respective kanji name. Before the update, however, an entry can have only one set of kanji name; all alias(es) can only have transliterated romaji. Mergers taken place before the update required to have additional kanji taken down; now they can be added back.

Feel free to add 天地 yourself. Tip: use the pull-down menu.

Oh I would have. But Given name doesn't appear in the pull-down menu and I don't know why. So if I only edit Family name, only Amachi would appear and Mugihito would be gone.

dormcat wrote:
jomy wrote:
Secondly, since I submitted the role of Adolph under both names and only one should remain, I will leave it up to you which one to delete. Or, just tell me which one to delete, and I will delete it.

Didn't you write "In this movie, Swan Lake, he was credited as Terada Makoto" yourself?

Yeah, he is, but I wasn't sure if crediting under an old name would be a mistake in this case. So I'm not sure which entry I should delete.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
jomy wrote:
Oh I would have. But Given name doesn't appear in the pull-down menu and I don't know why. So if I only edit Family name, only Amachi would appear and Mugihito would be gone.

Apparently you figured it out how to do it correctly four hours and eleven minutes after posting your reply.
jomy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
jomy wrote:

Apparently you figured it out how to do it correctly four hours and eleven minutes after posting your reply.

? I didn't do anything. If you see any edit, it was done by someone else. As long as it's fixed though, I don't care.
Makeinu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:10 am Reply with quote
Hiro YAMADA is an alias of Hirofumi YAMADA.

Even my go-to site for translation credits gets it wrong ( here and here). Yamada has used "Hiro" to sign off in his Japan column in Banzai! magazine at least once in 2004, and seems to have occasionally used his nickname since.

For what it's worth, his most frequent employer Carlsen lists him as Hiro Yamada, so it may have become his preferrence.
rokon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Please merge:

Shougo YASUKAWA (correct)
Shogo YASUKAWA

He has gone by both Japanese names listed (ヤスカワ ショウゴ and ヤスカワ 正吾) , but currently he writes his name only in katakana as in the former entry.

Source: http://www7.atwiki.jp/anime_wiki/pages/3396.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I think Tetsuo TOBITA is a mistaken name for Nobuo TOBITA. The Wikipedia article for Nobuo Tobita lists him as playing the role in Fish in the Trap that ANN has Tetsuo Tobita listed as playing. Also, if you put the Kanji for Nobuo Tobita into Google Translate, it gives a translation of "Tetsuo Tobita". I'm assuming that Nobuo Tobita is actually the correct Romanization since we have almost all the credits for him listed under that name.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Since we can't use US Wikipedia for a source, I checked Japanese wikipedia for the kanji, and it confirms the "Nobuo" reading, here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 81 of 144