• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Image-loading problems in the forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting this problem with IE 11, so Internet Explorer isn't totally unaffected. It seems to occur when I refresh a forum page that I already have open. If I close the browser window or tab and reopen it, everything will load fine the first time, but refreshing the page makes the images go away again.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The following is from Blood- he is completely locked out of the forums.

Quote:
Sorry, you are the only ANNer whose email address I have and I still can't post. In that image loading problem thread in the bug thread could you please mention that I am using Mac OS X 10.6.8 and 5.1.10 Safari and I can't post at all. I can't see any buttons or any images.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I'm getting this problem with IE 11, so Internet Explorer isn't totally unaffected. It seems to occur when I refresh a forum page that I already have open. If I close the browser window or tab and reopen it, everything will load fine the first time, but refreshing the page makes the images go away again.

I have IE 11, and I don't have this problem you describe to me. That's odd. Shocked Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
@nbahn
That link looks completely normal to me. The problem also remains selective.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
^
Just as in this thread I have to continuously reload the page until the images and icons show up where they're supposed to! Something is screwed up!

I'm using a Chrome browser on a Linux OS.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
@nbahn
I'm using Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7. I'm the one who is supposed to be having problems. So far everything is loading fine for me. I do note that when I shift from page to page something seems off, but I can't put a finger on it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
^
Just as in this thread I have to continuously reload the page until the images and icons show up where they're supposed to! Something is screwed up!

I'm using a Chrome browser on a Linux OS.

Thank you for posting that, nbahn. It hadn't occurred to me to try reloading but it works in Safari. Firefox is still fubared.

It would be great if an ANN representative would give us some information here. Even a, "we working on it" would be useful.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The following is from Blood- he is completely locked out of the forums.

Quote:
Sorry, you are the only ANNer whose email address I have and I still can't post. In that image loading problem thread in the bug thread could you please mention that I am using Mac OS X 10.6.8 and 5.1.10 Safari and I can't post at all. I can't see any buttons or any images.

He must be in a cold sweat...

Anyway, I'm on Chrome, but I'm seeing the same thing as Calathan. Loads fine,albeit in phases, in a new tab, but if I follow a link or reload, none of the buttons seem to appear. I'm wondering if it's something more widespread than ANN even. I was seeing similar behavior on NHL.com earlier today. Their page would stall when loading content from cdn.nhle.com then when I hit stop, everything would pop in except for presumably the stuff hosted there. Same CDN providers, maybe? Who knows, I'm just idly speculating.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Same here, but the situation is very erratic i.e. images appear 5 mins and disappear in the next 5 mins. Rinse and repeat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
btw, if anybody really, really, really wants to make a comment on a thread but doesn't want to re-load a million times, you can just type this into your url bar:
Code:
http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/posting.php?mode=reply&t=[THREAD NUMBER GOES HERE, NO SQUARE BRACKETS]

You can find the thread number in the url. It'll say t=#######. If you got to the page by clicking on the next new post icon, you can see the thread number by clicking or hovering over most any of the navigation hyperlinks. (Next, Previous, View next topic, View previous topic, Back to top, Watch this topic for replies)
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Is there any known reason causing this? I might start posting tomorrow rather than today to save the hassle. I'm having trouble with this on Firefox though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Seems to work correctly with Chromium on Linux (Kubuntu 14.04 [Trusty]) but fails to display images in Firefox on the same platform.

Chromium: Version 33.0.1750.152 Ubuntu 14.04 (256984)
Firefox: 28.0+build2-0ubuntu2

No images on Firefox for Android either, but also no images using the standard Android browser (Chrome?) or the Chrome beta.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank you DerekTheRed for posting that code.

God this problem is annoying.

Timing could hardly be worse; it is late night in North America so the admins may be asleep, and Good Friday is almost upon them. Ugh.
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this is related, but...

I'm not having any major issues with IE 11, except one: every time I try to look at "My Collection" for manga, the page starts to load fine but then the links separate into paragraph-style rather than line breaks almost immediately, and then the entire page freezes. I tried clearing my cache to see if that was the problem, but it didn't help.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4