• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan; Limited or Standard edition?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirow Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
So I'm certainly not a newb of the anime world, but by no means am a veteran either.
That said, Attack on Titan (AoT) has been blessed with the opportunity of a Standard Edition Bluray/DVD pack (SE) and a Limited Edition Bluray/DVD pack (LE); this is a rare occurance (IMO) when it comes to re-releasing anime titles. We have a very reasonably priced SE, and an obscenely priced LE for the fans.

Personally, first instinct was to purchase the LE. Money is not a huge factor (I've sent obscene amounts on my beloved GitS collection), but enough so that a complete Season 1 LE is questionable. AoT is a borderline "favorite" for me, just not quite there. I love owning LEs for no reason other than knowing I own the biggest and baddest version LOL! If the LE came with the OSTs, I'd be on it like a fat kid on cake.

So, what's the rest of the community thinking:

Which edition are you going to buy?
How much of a factor is money when it comes to anime?
What about when you are a huge fan?
How big a fan of AoT are you?
How extensive is your anime collection in terms LE's like AoT?
If there was anything that would make your purchase decision differ, what would it be?
Lupica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
I'm buying the regular LE (as opposed to the collector's edition LE which is exclusive to Funimation's store).

Money isn't really a factor for me; if I want something expensive I will cut back on average titles, but I'm an adult with a job so I don't have to be too picky these days and my collection is colossal. I'm also overseas, so paying more than I should for anime is a fact of life (sadly). Widespread availability is more of an issue for me than price - I can't buy Funimation's exclusive edition even if I wanted to because it's only available in one store and they don't ship to my country.

When it's a series I'm a huge fan of I'll go to great lengths to obtain everything that I can. There are a couple of series like this. Attack On Titan isn't one of them, but I enjoyed the Crunchyroll stream a lot and definitely want to own it on BD. Since the LE isn't that much more than the regular edition and costs the same in shipping and currency fees, it was a no-brainer to get that one.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
There's actually 3 versions:
1. The Collector's version that you can only get on Funimation's website.
2. The Limited Edition version that you can pick up at retailers like Amazon, RightStuf, etc.
3. The Standard Edition version which you can pick up at retailers.

As far as what I'm going to buy? I still haven't decided. I found the show entertaining up to a point, but I didn't love it. There were also some things that annoyed me about the show, so that's why I'm still on the fence. If I did have to choose it would be the regular LE. I prefer artboxes or at least some creative packaging versus a the standard edition and the Collecter's edition just has some added trinkets and I find that stuff mostly useless for my tastes.

Quote:
Money really isn't a factor unless we are talking about Aniplex titles. There's a limit to what I'm willing to pay for my anime hobby and what I personally think the value that something is worth. I do own a few of their titles, but I would probably own a lot more if the prices were more to my liking. So in one sense money isn't a factor, but what I perceive something should be worth is.

Quote:
Hmmm...I haven't checked recently how many titles I own. I have sold quite a few in the last few years that I felt were mediocre and didn't want them taking up my limited space. However, I would say its probably about one-quarter to one-third? I prefer LE's but some titles never got released that way, or the LE was fugly and I wouldn't want to display it or maybe I was too late to the party and wont pay some obscene OOP price.

Last edited by One-Eye on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Before answering your questions, just know that ALL three of the editions being released ONLY contain the first half of season one (episodes 1-13). The second half (episodes 14-26) will be released later in the year; likely in similar, multiple different formats. Additionally, it does not appear from the photos that the LE for part one contains a chipboard box that will house both parts one and two (which really bugs me); so it looks like it will be two separate packages altogether. That is, unless part two is the one that comes with an artbox (which is highly unorthodox, but could happen).

I've already got the LE on pre-order.
(http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/EFK4aNd4bDVngDmXSt/browse/item/101787/4/0/0)

Zero. I've shelled out obscene amounts of money for rare anime titles in the past.

I've only been watching anime for about 2 years, but I would consider myself a pretty big fan.

Never seen it. I'm a big fan of blind buys.

I have probably over 300+ blu rays/DVDs and maybe a solid 20% are box sets/LEs. Recently, it's newer titles that are being released in the LE formats, so if a title has an LE version as an option, I almost always go for that one.

If there was anything that would make your purchase decision differ, what would it be?
Price, obviously.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
Additionally, it does not appear from the photos that the LE for part one contains a chipboard box that will house both parts one and two (which really bugs me); so it looks like it will be two separate packages altogether. That is, unless part two is the one that comes with an artbox (which is highly unorthodox, but could happen).

To me it looks like a digipak format but with a hard backing making it more book-like. I know I've seen it somewhere before but I can't remember where. If they are both hardback book-like then it maybe redundant to have a box. My gut feeling is that there wont be be a chip box, but these 2 "books" will sit on your shelf next to each other. I'm interested in seeing what it will look like.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm going for that AOT Limited Edition, because it is one of my favorite shows, and I only buy my absolute favorites or must-have classics.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Just buy the regular edition.

they both come with the chibi extra disc I think.
unless you actually plan to wear the key, don't get the limited.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Shirow Otaku wrote:

The standard, least expensive one.

It's important. I'm prepared to shell out the money to own sets that I absolutely must have but I like saving a buck. For example, I generally don't buy any titles when they first come out. If Funi or Sentai has a title that is split into two parts, I have no problem waiting for a complete collection to come out because it's always cheaper to buy that way.

I'm still careful even for titles that I'm a huge fan of. For example, I let Funi's LE of Shiki sell out and I'll be fine getting the much cheaper S.A.V.E. edition.

I like it a lot.

I have a large collection (click on My Anime button if you want to see which titles I own) but I'm not heavily invested in LE titles. I have some but couldn't even tell you how many. Bakamonogatari, Garden of Sinners and the PMMM LE volumes spring to mind.

Finding a good deal or unexpectedly coming into a large amount of money.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood-, wouldn't you consider the NISA sets to be LEs on par with the Funimation sets? I guess I look at it from the point of the NISA sets have really nice boxes, and artbooks, which are really the big draws for any LE set for me. And I know you're a big collector of the NISA sets, and while NISA does release standard editions later on, I also know that you make sure you don't have to buy those. So, not trying to shoot holes in your statement completely, but there are cases where you don't wait for the cheaper alternative.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

1. The SAVE edition/complete collection that comes out in a few years for $20.

2 and 3. If I can afford it, which I usually can, and want it bad enough then I'll buy it.

4. I thought it was good but due to fact it's a (hopefully) ongoing work the motivation buy it now is not really there. Especially since the show is streaming on several places and about to air on TV next month, so it's not like it's not available if I want to rewatch it. Limited shelf space is also an issue.

5. I'm an anime collector with over 900 titles. I have a whole bunch of limited edition swag like that and some imports from other regions too. Even some of the most pricey purchases like the Garden of Sinners BD set.

6. If I had more shelf space to waste I would definitely go for the LE but I don't. Instead I have to sell stuff and/or make the best use of such space by buying more compact things.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The LE. I am not interested in the knick knacks that the Collector's Edition is offering. The LE has the digibook, commentaries, and Making of, which is what I want.

It's obviously a factor. I'm unable to throw down a bunch of moolah at once. However, if it's for a series I really want, I will willingly spend quite a bit to get what I want. I've gotten all of the LE's for Madoka Magica (series and movies). I have purchased series twice in order to get the better editions (Mushishi and Princess Tutu). And I'm willing to pre-order LEs.

Like I said, I can't throw down a bunch of money at once. I was salivating over the Gurren Lagann bluray, but $600 all at once is too rich for my blood. Now, if there was a way to split that $50 per month over a year or even $100 per month over 6 months, yeah, I'd be willing. The only thing that might turn me away at that point is knowing none of the extras are translated. That's a big bummer.

I'd say I'm above average, but not one of the biggest. I enjoyed the anime (gave it an 8/10) and have been enjoying the manga, but I'm fine with not collecting the manga and just reading on Crunchyroll now. The anime, however, has some really gorgeous moments and music that must be kept.

Pretty extensive. My spending habits have switched over in the past few years to mainly purchase the series I absolutely love (in LE form preferably) and stream all the rest. I don't need to own everything - just the series I'll want to rewatch in the future and share with friends. Sometimes I'll throw a bone at releases to support the type of release or show my support for the company, but for now I'm on a mission to only collect that which I love. I imagine that as I run out of space I'll have to downgrade some of the LEs, but I am keeping LEs of my absolute faves no matter what.

Price, obviously. The types of extras provided. If it was the only easily available release to grab.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Blood-, wouldn't you consider the NISA sets to be LEs on par with the Funimation sets? I guess I look at it from the point of the NISA sets have really nice boxes, and artbooks, which are really the big draws for any LE set for me. And I know you're a big collector of the NISA sets, and while NISA does release standard editions later on, I also know that you make sure you don't have to buy those. So, not trying to shoot holes in your statement completely, but there are cases where you don't wait for the cheaper alternative.

You are absolutely right. It's so strange I didn't even think about NISA when I originally answered. Definitely, I always choose their PEs over their standard editions. Mind you, there isn't a hugely shocking difference in price between the two (roughly $20 per set) and the PEs are just so much more impressive. The other thing is that I made that damn vow to buy a copy of each PE title that they put out. If I hadn't made that promise, there probably are some titles that I would have settled for the standard edition.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I should add my $1.25 in (that's inflation for ya)

Quote:

For AoT, if the limited editions stay on sale for a long period of time, or if they're part of TRSI's Christmas sale, then I'll get them. Otherwise, I'm fine with waiting for a complete collection.

Quote:

Very little. Perceived value is much more important to me. Since Aniplex is the highest prices around, I'll use them for my examples. I didn't buy the Garden of Sinners BD set because I'm not a big Type Moon fanboy, and so it wasn't worth the asking price for me. Not only was I not a fanboy, but it didn't come with extras or in a a set gaudy enough to entice me. I did buy the Gurren Lagaan BD set. Not because I'm a fan of the show, I've never watched it, but because the set appeared to me to be worth the price. It's impressive looking, and it'll look nice on my shelves. GoS, other than name recognition, wasn't an impressive looking set. So, basically since I can afford any anime set I want, money isn't a factor to me, my perceived value of the set is.

Quote:

Since money isn't an issue to me, I guess I don't have any other way to answer this question. Since perception is everything, I would of course perceive a show I am a huge fan of as having greater value than one I don't care so much about. I instantly preordered the first Madoka Magica movie set, even though it was nearly an exact repeat of the TV show, which I also own, because I will own every anime incarnation of that show. I am definitely a Madoka fanboy, so there's a ton of value in any of those sets.

Quote:

Middle of the road. I enjoyed the anime as it was coming out, I'm enjoying the manga, but I'm not going to break the bank for either. I do not, and likely will not, own any figures or other merchandise for the show. I'm not chomping at the bit for the next chapter of the manga to come out, and in fact I'm a few volumes behind the US release. When the second season gets released, I'll watch it as it comes out, but beyond that I'm not losing any sleep over waiting for more.

Quote:

Fairly vast. I've been collecting for almost a decade and a half, and back in the day releases used to come with nice boxes and all manner of stuff. Most of it junk, but some of it really nice. In recent times, I've bought a good majority of the NISA releases, and several of the Aniplex USA releases. Those are certainly on par with this Funimation LE.

Quote:

For this particular title? Beyond what I stated prior, I suppose coming in to enough money to pay off my truck so I could toss money at every little thing I wanted to. Barring that, nothing. In fact, I'm fully planning on not spending any money on my hobby in the months of May and June, possibly July and a good part of August. I have such a massive backlog right now that I can no longer justify buying more stuff, unless it's a property like Madoka, or the Monogatari series where I would regret not getting it. Funimation titles I'm much less worried about them getting scarce, so I'm in much less of a rush to buy them.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote

I'll probably end up buying the LE Version, but in a first for me I leaning towards the Standard Edition. Definitely won't buy the Collectors Edition, too expensive and won't drop in price, and the fact the extras are just cheaply made trinkets that I'll never use. If it came with say some velcro patches of the 4 Branches then that would be a thing to own.

Money is never a factor for me. Because I have such a great paying job, zero debt, and the fact my income is more than my expenses. Now I don't just spend spend spend even though I could. I buy the shows I like right away and always get the best deals possible. Now some shows I'll wait to purchase them if they are expensive because I work so much I don't have the time to watch them right away anyways so their is no hurry to buy it unless it might sell out. My biggest Anime purchase was my Garden of SInners LE Blu-Ray Box Set and it was worth every penny.

Yes you can say I'm a huge fan, I've been into the hobby for a little over 15 years now about half my life now and don't see myself losing interest anytime soon.

I was really into at first and it would have been in my usual buy it ASAP when it comes out, but now I think it's ok and I don't have a really strong desire to watch it again. Probably won't even pick it up for awhile since it's not a must have show anymore for me.

Pretty every title I own is a LE unless I missed the chance to buy it which is very rare. The price difference isn't too much on average 5 dollars more at the cheapest and I'm a sucker for LE. Rarely has a LE called out to me to buy it for the extras, LE here state side are never on par with the Japanese Counterpart, But I'm seeing more gimick-e extras coming out that even I with no budget concerns scratch my head and say no way am I paying extra for that crap. Like even the AOT Funimation Collectors set, those cheap pot metal or plastic keys come on, cheap crap made in China you could get anywhere. Even the Psycho Pass LE set the sound track is killer content wise and the art box and cases look amazing, but the extra trinkets are crap if I wasn't so OCD about keeping it complete I would sell that junk or throw it away.

Depends on the price. If it's super expensive I have to really like the show to shell out that kind of money even though I can afford it. Like Fate Zero the original imports I just didn't love the show to pay 700 dollars for it, I liked it but not loved it to death. Still will pick up the domestic release someday when I have time. The only other two factor are if it's a DVD only release and I know it has a Japanese Blu-Ray. I like the best quality and I know some shows because of licensing that's the reason but I've been burned before and had to re-buy a show.

The final thing would be imports that have a English Dubs only but no English Subtitles. I'm willing to import and pay Japanese prices for my favorite shows on Blu-Ray but I don't like Dubs and even though I can understand enough Japanese to watch it Raw no way am I paying that much and not get what I want.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Getting the Limited Edition because I feel Funi's price is reasonable to upgrade over the the standard edition but I don't need all the knick knacks that come with the collector's edition.

Anyways money is definitely a factor for me. I am only willing to spend a lot of money on a series if it is an absolute favorite series (which Titans is not). However as I said above Funi's price even for the limited release is actually extremely reasonable in my opinion and I definitely enjoyed Titans quite a bit, enough to want to own it. If I can afford it I figure why not upgrade to a nicer release. The only reason I am not upgrading more is because I am not interested in the extra trinkets that come with the Collectors release. It's not the money but the fact that to me that stuff is junk.

As a comparison If Titans was released by Aniplex I might not have bought it, or I probably would have just bought their standard release. To Buy Aniplex's limited releases I have to absolutely love a series to death (which hasn't happened yet, although now that they have Mushishi that might change).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2