• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I demand blood!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
error5051

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
New blood that is. lol

I think with the new layout this site should consider new anime reviewers.

as with some of the reviews I've read I have a hard time believing the current ones even watch anime. the way they constantly complain about cliche characters like their new to anime or something.

just so you know I'm not being paranoid allow me quote ANN's own

Hope Chapman
"God I'm sick of smug unflappable badass nerds with no remotely human character traits in genre fiction." -- source

I'm not saying any one should be removed. but it would be nice to see a more balanced perspective across each anime. instead most anime's consistently getting of a bad rating and 2 average ones or all good ratings.

balanced meaning 1 positive,neutral,and negative perspective.

that said a 1-5 point rating system is not something which gives an accurate representation of how good or bad a series is in the 1st place. this is made apparent when you see a series get a bad score but a positive review. but I'm too lazy to find an example at the moment so I will end it here.

feel free to post what you think of this proposition am I crazy or shall this injustice be corrected.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
error5051 wrote:
feel free to post what you think of this proposition am I crazy or shall this injustice be corrected.

You're crazy. Entirely crazy.

Why on earth would complaining about cliches make you new to anime? That's the single stupidest criticism I've heard in ages. If anything, new fans don't complain about cliches because they haven't seen enough anime to recognize their pervasive, recurring nature that makes them cliches. Sorry. I hesitate to even give credence to your silly "let's undermine the reviewers credibility by questioning their status as fans" bullshit by addressing it but I just can't resist point out how completely backwards that is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'm here - whaddaya want? Wink
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Not going to happen. ANN isn't going to hire new reviewers just because you don't agree with their views. There are a lot of reviewers that work on the Preview Guide so that you can get a lot of different views on the new anime that's on offer. Just find one reviewer that you agree with and stick with reading their reviews.

Blood- wrote:

I did genuinely think that it was going to be a topic about you when I first saw the title Very Happy
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:

Blood- wrote:

I did genuinely think that it was going to be a topic about you when I first saw the title Very Happy

As did I Laughing I wondered who you'd offended this time Razz
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
So what does it say that I actually completely agree with ikillchicken on this one? Wink

Sorry, error5051, but connecting "constantly complain about cliche characters" with "new to anime" is asinine. It's the other way around, dude.

Besides, it's hardly like we trashed anywhere near all of the new series this season. While this isn't looking like a strong season, there were several titles that consistently got moderate to good previews.

And yes, I was also thinking that this thread was really about Blood-. So what does that say? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And yes, I was also thinking that this thread was really about Blood-. So what does that say? Rolling Eyes

That I'm highly in demand? Razz
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
Try highly visible. Smile

I liked the part about having positive, neutral and negative reviews on every show. I can imagine being assigned the negative review of a show you liked or vice versa.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Laughing @ Tony K
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
error5051 wrote:
I think with the new layout this site should consider new anime reviewers.

Zac is proposing something along these lines right now.

It's still very early, so I'm not going to discuss details until after I've seen the proposal, we've made decisions, and the hiring process has started.

Maybe you'll see something in time for Summer, maybe fall.

Quote:
I'm not saying any one should be removed. but it would be nice to see a more balanced perspective across each anime. instead most anime's consistently getting of a bad rating and 2 average ones or all good ratings.

balanced meaning 1 positive,neutral,and negative perspective.

That's a horrible idea. Are you actually suggesting that we need to find someone who will write a positive review for horrible shows ? What if we give a show to 10 reviewers and they all hate it ?

We are looking into more reviewers, but we will never say "some of you need to give this show a positive review."

Nor will we allow the show's one mega-fan to write editorial content on the site. We've tried that in the past, and unfortunately it always turns out these people 1) know nothing about critical reviewing and 2) know nothing about critical writing period.

Quote:
that said a 1-5 point rating system is not something which gives an accurate representation of how good or bad a series is in the 1st place.

You're absolutely right. Point/star ratings in reviews are a horrible thing. Our editors want to get rid of them. Sadly many readers demand them, and in this case I am willing to pander to the readers. Rating systems are a necessary evil associated with commercial Internet reviews.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Key wrote:

That I'm highly in demand? Razz

Only in your wet dreams! Twisted Evil
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Bring the virgins to the altar!
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
That's a horrible idea. Are you actually suggesting that we need to find someone who will write a positive review for horrible shows ? What if we give a show to 10 reviewers and they all hate it ? .

I actually think there is some merit to his suggestion. Which I do NOT take to mean finding someone who will always give the show a positive review but finding reviewers who disagree with each other. I know this is already the case among ANN reviewers and staffers. One way to find different viewpoints is to simply avoid overalapping aversions between different reviewers. This is where the most strongly negative criticisms come from anyways.

There is also merit to having reviews from the perspective of a prospective buyer of that genre, and another from a general audience or someone outside the show or game's targeted audience. In fact, the reviewers could even disagree on why the title is disappointing. One reviewer could criticize: there is too much of X while another can criticize: there is not enough of X!

Reviews are subjective, but this multi-perspective approach would be more objective I believe and provide the most utility. Speaking of utility, I do have to wonder how many people use reviews in general, not just ANN's, do form their purchasing decisions. I feel like the majority of the population falls into these camps: people who are going to buy a title regardless of negative review and people who won't buy a title, regardless of poistive review, peolpe who are going to watch or play a title and make up their own minds before sinking money (very easy to do with anime) so it makes me wonder if the cost of adding more reviewers are worth it.

Personally I derive the most utility from a review when it reveals something I did not know, like some production backstory or technical detail or mistakes, the later of which would definitely influence my purchasing decision.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
I remember some game magazine I used to get(I'm pretty sure "gamer" hadn't been coined yet) had three reviewers for every title, though most only got a paragraph or so from each. This wouldn't be unprecedented for ANN, given the yearly award articles always have two perspectives and the preview guides provide multiple, but it'd definitely be interesting to see it on full-length reviews.

It'd be also be intriguing to see the occasional "second chance" review from somebody who hated the show during the preview guide, even if it does nothing more than give them solid proof that all the vague premonitions they had were perfectly accurate. These would probably be the best place to trial dropping the letter grades and just give it a three point scale: liked it more, no change of opinion and "dear God it's worse than I thought!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2