• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, April 14-20

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

And even some really terrific shows just don't have the fans there to support the discs. Common occurrence, it really can be difficult to tell what people will actually buy in great volumes.

Can have enough fans just not enough money between them to support all those.

The idea that an otaku can support a show only buying the physical release is somewhat of a western style think dissonance. Most japanese otakus DO NOT BUY dvds or blu-rays. They buy drama cds, figures, pillows, toys, etc... Why would you buy dvds/blu-rays when most anime is available on tv either free to air or pay-tv ? Especially at japanese prices. How many times can you watch a freaking anime episode ? Buying figures, videogames etc... is a much better use of your money IN JAPAN

Look at how few numbers most of these anime shows sell. Even for a niche audience it is small. Very few anime can achieve the kind of mainstream appeal, and by mainstream I mean reach the whole of otaku fandom and not just a 0.004%.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Most japanese otakus DO NOT BUY dvds or blu-rays. They buy drama cds, figures, pillows, toys, etc...

And yet the oft-quoted "Manabi Line" is a count of... disc sales.

When was the last time you heard "Yeah, Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX is getting a sequel... disc sales were bad, but did they ever clean up on the licensed mop buckets!"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

And even some really terrific shows just don't have the fans there to support the discs. Common occurrence, it really can be difficult to tell what people will actually buy in great volumes.

Can have enough fans just not enough money between them to support all those.

The idea that an otaku can support a show only buying the physical release is somewhat of a western style think dissonance.

It doesn't have to be only thru discs, but it's still the same problem. The producers need the equivalent enough money back, whether they get profits off discs, merchandise, books, etc. Supporters still need to cough up enough money to produce those profits. Adding more shows to the pool doesn't change that, so they either need more supporters and/or spend more money.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Most japanese otakus DO NOT BUY dvds or blu-rays. They buy drama cds, figures, pillows, toys, etc...

When was the last time you heard "Yeah, Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX is getting a sequel... disc sales were bad, but did they ever clean up on the licensed mop buckets!"

People should really stop using the manabi line, its pointless. It just leads to misunderstandings. Series do not break even by selling just 2.5k~ discs on average.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

People should really stop using the manabi line, its pointless. It just leads to misunderstandings. Series do not break even by selling just 2.5k~ discs on average.

I'm using it for the concept--that disc sales matter--rather than the specific number.

(And I didn't think the line was supposed to represent the average, but the minimum. 2.5k might break even for a horribly under-animated low-budget slice-of-life show. A CGI'ed-up all-star-seiyuu-cast mecha show would obviously cost more and require higher sales.)
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the effects of buying products directly from the internet from Amazon.jp instead of buying the physical copy effecting the sales. I hadn't known about the taxes on the Blu-Rays. Government is hard up on money i guess.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

(And I didn't think the line was supposed to represent the average, but the minimum. 2.5k might break even for a horribly under-animated low-budget slice-of-life show. A CGI'ed-up all-star-seiyuu-cast mecha show would obviously cost more and require higher sales.)

And how does Aikatsu which has lackluster disc sales get a second season with this line of thinking?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

I'm using it for the concept--that disc sales matter--rather than the specific number.

The thing is, you should never use 'x show break even with x disc sales' because its simply not the only source of profit.

Disc sales can be used to determine a part of the profits, you can´t use it to determine whether something broke even or not. Even Manabi Straigth did not break even purely from its disc sales alone.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
The Manabi Line has never been particularly accurate due to varying budgets and sources of income, but even less-so now that HD has increased the costs of animating.

But yeah, we can never know how much it takes to 'break even' because we have no idea how much they planned to make off of disc sales. Except that they likely expect almost nothing for kids shows like Aikatsu, Naruto, etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3