• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R.O.D. pencil boards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for the pencil boards for the R.O.D. the tv single sets. Actually its just one I'm looking for a specific one with Maggie. If anyone has any leads it would help.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I have a pile of them around here somewhere. It may take a day to find them though. I also have to remember which is Maggie. Is that the blond?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Maggie = tall
Michelle = blonde
Anita = small
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
@Tony K.
Thanks, now where did I put that stuff?

That was a fun search. I need to put more of that stuff in notebooks.

If you will look in the lower right hand corner of the ROD TV pencil boards, there is a number. These correspond to the numbers on the cases. They range from 12167 through 12173 for seven disks. I have all but the one from the second volume numbered 12168. If that is what you are looking for, I can't help you, sorry.

I do have one that shows a tall skinny dark haired girl on one side. The number is 12171. If it is Maggie, the hair clothes and facial expression are not characteristic. I haven't watched the entire series so I don't know who else she might be. She is in a locker room has a purple top and white panties with pants or a skirt around her knees. The reverse of this board has a white haired individual of indeterminate sex drowning. If this is the board you want let me know.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Its the first one on the left.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Its just frustrating. I bought six of them off ebay and didn't realize there were seven in a set, because all the websites that have pics of them only show the six I have.

I want a whole set, this is my favorite series and I'll pay to have it. I don't mind if I have to pay for the whole set to get it if someone wants to off load them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
@Bright Spear
Sorry, that is the one I don't have.

For the record, the reason I don't have it is that when I bought the associated disk, I got the version with the book like case designed to hold all seven disks and the OAV. Apparently that was the second disk of the series. That is probably why this is the rare pencil board.

If you can find someone who is selling the second disk unopened, it probably has the pencil board you are looking for. The DVD case insert has Michelle on the front. At the very bottom of the spine is the number 12168. You should find that number on the pencil board as well.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
I am not absolutely certain, but pretty sure, that Geneon used the "lottery" system when they released the singles for R.O.D.
Some cases had the pencil boards and some did not, and they all had the same product number with no stickers or anything to indicate if the case had a pencil board inside.

I know that they did it with Strawberry Marshmallow and Kamichu.
The Geneon Lottery was quite famous/infamous for a while.
This was back when most people were still buying anime in local stores. I can clearly remember standing in the aisle at Best Buy shaking the cases and listening for something rattling inside, and watching other anime fans doing the same.
Sometimes I found a pencil board. Sometimes I found a loose disc.

My point is that if you buy the volume 2 DVD you cannot be sure that it will have the pencil board unless that seller can guarantee it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Interesting, I did not know that. Other than a volume of Card Captor Sakura that did not have any post cards, I can't think of any Genon disk that didn't come with the appropriate pack in.

On the other hand, volume #2 is available on E-bay for $6 and up. Very Happy
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Aren't they packaged on the outside of the dvd case? That's how I've always seen them. My Texhnolyze and kamichu singles came that way. If they put them inside for this release then I have an un-opened vol. 2 I can try. But the only listing I could find that said it came with it in a vague way was $36.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The ROD pencil boards all fit inside a standard DVD case. As far as I can remember, that is how they came.

It would be kinda ironic if it turns out you had the missing board all along. Cool
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Bright_Spear wrote:
Aren't they packaged on the outside of the dvd case? That's how I've always seen them. My Texhnolyze and kamichu singles came that way. If they put them inside for this release then I have an un-opened vol. 2 I can try. But the only listing I could find that said it came with it in a vague way was $36.

If I recall correctly, the pencilboards were on the inside of the cases. Some of the artwork on those pencilboards is a little bit risque after all.

Actually, I'm virtually certain the boards were inside the package. When I bought my copy of volume 1 of Kannizuki No Miko, I can distinctly remember saying to myself "this case seems really, really heavy". When I opened it, the reason that it was so heavy is that inside there was not one, not two, but three pencilboards!
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
There is indeed pencil boards in two of my un-opened sets. But they are vol. 1 and 5.

Still can't believe I can't find anyone selling them online. Every other geneon pencil board they made you can find but not this one.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
This thread got me curious so I checked my discs as I knew I did not get all 7 and I left the ones I got in the amarays. Turns out I'm missing the pencil boards from volumes 1 and 4. I also noticed that they all have "not for sale" in red letters on both sides.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
This thread got me curious so I checked my discs as I knew I did not get all 7 and I left the ones I got in the amarays. Turns out I'm missing the pencil boards from volumes 1 and 4. I also noticed that they all have "not for sale" in red letters on both sides.

Willing to part with the one I need? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2