• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Meiji University To Offer A Course on Boy Band Arashi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Really now. Shocked

A class/course dedicated to a very popular J-pop boyband like Arashi. But then again there is a class on the British Invasion/The Beatles impact on USA at Mcgill University. I had a laugh at the course layout for this class in Japan, I can't say if this is going to be interesting or not. But this one got my attention:

Quote:
Arashi and K-Pop

So who are they going to compare Arashi to?? SHINee, TVXQ (before they became a duo), SS501???

EDIT 1: Speaking of K-pop, turns out there are class that teach about the Hallyu/Korean Wave. One in Australia, and one in California.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Experience society's decline firsthand.

Here I thought a Brit taking a course on American politics was dumb.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
So, is there a lot of hands-on learning? Sign me up!

*ahem*

Sorry, I had to. But seems like a fun class to take, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
They forget to add Arashi vs Yama Arashi to the course layout Anime hyper
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
They forget to add Arashi vs Yama Arashi to the course layout Anime hyper

I was about to mention that!
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Given the abundance of boy bands in the ol' Nihon, the course subject seemed random at first glance, as I've barely heard of them. (No, I'm not a J-boy band historian, so I wouldn't know an Arashi from a SMAP) So, for easy comparison's sake, are these guys like the Japanese Nsync?

I think it's a good topic though, having discussions on the culture of boy bands and Johnny's.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Given the abundance of boy bands in the ol' Nihon, the course subject seemed random at first glance, as I've barely heard of them. (No, I'm not a J-boy band historian, so I wouldn't know an Arashi from a SMAP) So, for easy comparison's sake, are these guys like the Japanese Nsync?
Only if all the members of Nsync still had a successful singing career together, along with regularly starring in TV dramas, films, commercials, and their own variety show. So... kinda, but not really.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
That's actually a class I'd love to get the notes on. Some friends and I were just talking about them Wednesday, and for the life of us we cannot understand why these no-talent guys are so popular. They're not even cute! But I suppose that's in the eyes of the beholders.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
@sunflower: I'll be the first to admit I like them a lot more for their acting output (esp. Nino & MatsuJun) than their music, but I do think "no-talent" is a little harsh though.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
That's actually a class I'd love to get the notes on. Some friends and I were just talking about them Wednesday, and for the life of us we cannot understand why these no-talent guys are so popular. They're not even cute! But I suppose that's in the eyes of the beholders.

Well the members are in their early 30's, so maybe if they were younger, would that change your mind? But then again, I've seen pop stars that are very attractive in their 30's. I'll agreed with Poonk, the "no-talent" seems a bit too harsh.
The Mask

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm intrigued that this is actually taking place in a social psychology class. I wonder how they're going to tie in various concepts of social psychology with the Arashi boy band.

Many might look down on this course, but I have a feeling that the course content might actually be more theoretical that what one would expect. Since it's social psychology, they could go use some various social influence theories related to how Arashi influenced modern Japanese society. And damn, they might even tie it in with the concepts of majority-minority relations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1