• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku USA Magazine Arrives June 5

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
A magazine with free stuff in it? Sounds delicious. I'll be checking this one out.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
OTAKU USA will give UNBIASED COVERAGE, because unlike the other top magazines, OTAKU USA Magazine has no financial affiliation to any Japanese Anime or Manga firm.

Yes, yes, yes!

Now, let's just see if they pretend that half the new anime in Japan doesn't exist. If not, then I'm definitely going to check this out.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I forgot about this new magazine. Any anime mag with free stuff is definitely worth checking out. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
If your so inclined to learned the fine folks at Anime World Order are going to be doing the reviews for this magazine. I must say I'm a bit excited but worried also considering I know them from telling me about old school anime so this will be quite a change.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
I love how pandering marketing speak ignores reality completely.

"The other top magazines" include Anime Insider and Newtype USA. Anime Insider is owned by Wizard, which isn't an anime company.

If they singled out Newtype - which is the ONLY anime magazine with any affiliation to an anime company - it'd be fair. But right now this is just marketing nonsense.
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
This should be interesting, but I'm worrying that all of the "free" stuff will mean that the magazine is more expensive. Right now I only collect Anime Insider with an occasional NewType purchase, since NewType is more expensive and seems to have more pretty pictures than articles I care about, at least from my limited memory.

I'll still buy the first one, to see what it's like, but unless it's really spectacular I'll probably just stick with AI.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If they singled out Newtype - which is the ONLY anime magazine with any affiliation to an anime company - it'd be fair. But right now this is just marketing nonsense.

What's more, they are distributed by a company that is a subsidiary of a company that publishes manga and has a very close relationship with a Japanese manga publisher.

True that their distributor is not their publisher, but the link is there...

With that, I'd say they are more financially linked to the industry that AI, Protoculture Addicts or Becket Anime.

Had it not been for their silly boast that "unlike the other top magazines, OTAKU USA Magazine has no financial affiliation to any Japanese Anime or Manga firm," it wouldn't be a link worth bringing up...

-t

(Disclaimer: My comments about any anime magazine can't be seen as objective, as I have a vested interest in the success of Protoculture Addicts)
johnmora

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping I don't see the usual glowing reviews and A- grades that I see in every other anime magazine. I'd LOVE it if there was an anime magazine out there that reflected my tastes instead of just loving everything.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
I'm just hoping I don't see the usual glowing reviews and A- grades that I see in every other anime magazine. I'd LOVE it if there was an anime magazine out there that reflected my tastes instead of just loving everything.

<plug>I don't know what your tastes are, but Protoculture Addicts does just that. The average grade for all the reviews in PA#90 is 3.4 out of 5.</plug>

As for OTAKU USA, I'd definitely have more respect for the magazine if they also had the balls to occasionally say "this title sucks because...." So hopefully they'll do that.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
But right now this is just marketing nonsense.

I'm still waiting for them to tell me how they stand out from the pack, other than being more "otakuey". Rolling Eyes
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I'll at least give the magazine a try. I can always use something else to help kill time at work.
Celes

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yay! This is exciting news. I love magazines but the anime ones that are out have disappointed me. NewType USA is outrageously expensive and has anyone figured out why Gundam Seed is still on the cover every other month?! I can barely tolerate Anime Insider and that's just because it's free from the library.

The only thing I am not loving is the title. I hate pretty much anything with the word "otaku" in it. Yuck yuck yuck...
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
"The other top magazines" include Anime Insider and Newtype USA. Anime Insider is owned by Wizard, which isn't an anime company.

Ah, so it's just Newtype USA afterall. I had assumed that Anime Insider and a few others such as Beckett's also had this "glorify everything" policy.
idrisfynn

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:43 am Reply with quote
Celes wrote:
The only thing I am not loving is the title. I hate pretty much anything with the word "otaku" in it. Yuck yuck yuck...

I had to delurk just to whole-heartedly agree.

I don't see myself buying an anime magazine with a title like that. Maybe it's because of my age, but I'm still offended by the blanket word "otaku" for people who truely enjoy the genre. I don't understand why any new magazine would want to alienate a section of their market in their title choice.
daveriley

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote
For anyone having doubts about the title, I'd strongly urge you to reconsider.

The staff of the magazine are about as far flung as possible from what we Americans traditionally call Otaku. They're fine, upstanding citizens who have a strong interest and knowledge base where anime is concerned, and don't stoop to traditional "weeaboo" (please excuse the term) wanking. With people like the kids from AWO aboard it'll be a quality read, and you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not picking it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4