• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kotono Mitsuishi Leads New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Except you don't know how long the anime run, how many arcs they plan to cover, ...

Let's not ignore the fact that the era of manga adaptions with endless episodes is at its end, nowadays having 26 episode runs is as good as it gets. If someone was making a profit out of the series (like with Tanken Driland, also by Toei) you might get a 52 episodes run, but Kodansha has already made the natural profit they can from the SM manga after two decades and it is just as feasible that Naoko will continue SM as it is that Toriyama will continue DB. So it is quite natural nowadays to expect a run between 10-26 episodes, which will probably be just enough to cover the basic plotline.

What in cold Hell are you talking about? You honestly think there isn't money to be made from 50 episode arc adaptations? Have you seen Space Brothers? Have you seen One Piece? What basis have you for this speculation? On top of that, you seem to be seriously underestimating Sailor Moon's popularity. You really think there isn't more money to be made from an extended anime adaptation?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. I like the character designs, they look very elegant. Seeing as how I never watched the original, I don't really care if the old cast returns, but I do like (railgun) Rina Satou, so thats cool. I don't mind the 2 episodes a month. Like someone said, maybe that means they'll be longer episodes. Figure 17 had a release schedule like that. I believe Rin daughters of Mnemosyne and Katanagatari as well. I'll definitely check this out. Who knows, maybe it'll inspire me to watch/read the originals.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Hmmm. I like the character designs, they look very elegant. Seeing as how I never watched the original, I don't really care if the old cast returns, but I do like (railgun) Rina Satou, so thats cool. I don't mind the 2 episodes a month. Like someone said, maybe that means they'll be longer episodes. Figure 17 had a release schedule like that. I believe Rin daughters of Mnemosyne and Katanagatari as well. I'll definitely check this out. Who knows, maybe it'll inspire me to watch/read the originals.

And Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

And Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar.

I think that was an OVA, but I may be mistaken.

EDIT: Looks like it aired on pay-per-view. I never knew that. Interesting.
sweet_kungfuman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Yes. The 'pure' ideal is so progressive. And no. What happened is, certain qualities were diluted from a series of characters and then reframed to fit into a cultural ideal, in order to turn a profit off of the otaku market. For example, Mercury was badass, but she was also demure, and conservative. So the industry basically said: "Hmm. If we remove the 'badassitude', those traits could be used to manufacture a 'pure' personality, to sell." And so they did:

Dude, what are you talking about? We're talking about moe, not some crazy fans antiques. And sankaku is a trash gossip website with no credibility .. honestly stop reading that site...

if Ami-chan lose her demure traits, the balance in personality beetween the Sailor Senshi's team will be off. It's true that Ami is the weakest among the five but blame Takeuchi-sensei for that, moe has nothing to do with it (you said takeuchi-sensei is not into this whole moe thing right?).

You make it sounds like a passive & demure trait is a bad thing.. to make a good show you need a character with diverse personality. it's also gives more realism to the show.

A show where everyone is badasses with the same strong personality will be boring lol ... unless you're a marysue fan or a feminist ..

and dude, you really doesn't know about what moe is all about .. i give you a few more examples to think about

Matoi Ryuko from Kill la Kill is moe. Don't tell me that she is not badass .. .

Grizzly-san from Shirokuma Cafe is moe. A total tsundere owning a beer cafe, running around the city with his Harley. He can easily make lion and crocodile run away with a single scream.

Hachiken Yugo & Mikage Aki from Gin no Saji/Silver Spoon are moe. Their awkward moments together is always become a good source of comedy
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dude, what are you talking about? We're talking about moe, not some crazy fans antiques. And sankaku is a trash gossip website with no credibility .. honestly stop reading that site...

if Ami-chan lose her demure traits, the balance in personality beetween the Sailor Senshi's team will be off. It's true that Ami is the weakest among the five but blame Takeuchi-sensei for that, moe has nothing to do with it (you said takeuchi-sensei is not into this whole moe thing right?).

You make it sounds like a passive & demure trait is a bad thing.. to make a good show you need a character with diverse personality. it's also gives more realism to the show.

A show where everyone is badasses with the same strong personality will be boring lol ... unless you're a marysue fan or a feminist ..

and dude, you really doesn't know about what moe is all about .. i give you a few more examples to think about

Matoi Ryuko from Kill la Kill is moe. Don't tell me that she is not badass .. .

Grizzly-san from Shirokuma Cafe is moe. A total tsundere owning a beer cafe, running around the city with his Harley. He can easily make lion and crocodile run away with a single scream.

Hachiken Yugo & Mikage Aki from Gin no Saji/Silver Spoon are moe. Their awkward moments together is always become a good source of comedy

Uh, no. I understand Moe. I understand its cultural context. Promoting 'purity' as an ideal is horrible. It degrades those it's pushed on, and breeds possessive behavior. You're pushing the label of 'Moe' on everything you like because you like it, with no context for how the Japanese apply it.
sweet_kungfuman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Uh, no. I understand Moe. I understand its cultural context. Promoting 'purity' as an ideal is horrible. It degrades those it's pushed on, and breeds possessive behavior. You're pushing the label of 'Moe' on everything you like because you like it, with no context for how the Japanese apply it.

Dude, what are you talking about? If you watch lucky star you will know that you have a totally wrong idea about moe.

Moe is not limited to weak demure young girls character who can't do anything, get it?

There is an episode where Kagamin asked Kona-chan about what moe is, go watch that .. and if you're that lazy then simply go to wikipedia and read about the definition of moe.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Psycho internet stalkers will occur independently if the culture of popularity has to due with seiyuu that play anime characters or personalities that perform pop idols or any other form of celebrity regardless of Nation.

Back to Moe itself, the accepted communal definition is hardly concrete and there is often infighting between fans on what qualities apply as the most prominent factor, if it was as simple as saying that the "most moe character amounts to a helpless female doll" then it would be much easier to point out which characters are moe and which aren't, but the issue is that characters with much more spine have been proven to appeal to the target audience as much as a character that exists to be little more than a pretty design.
kuron3kosama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:36 am Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
The question now is who will stream the series in the USA? It may be either Daisuki or FUNimation that gets the US streaming rights, especially since Crunchyroll has a relationship with TV Tokyo.
I'm fairly certain that, being a Nico exclusive in Japan, it'll be on Nico for the US as well. I could be wrong though. *shrug*

As for the "what is moe" debate, here's a handy-dandy infographic I found a few weeks ago (as well as the reddit comment-chain that grew from there) that explains moe perfectly.
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
it seems the director of suite precure will be the one who will directing sailor moon crystal
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
sweet_kungfuman wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Dude, what are you talking about? If you watch lucky star you will know that you have a totally wrong idea about moe.

Moe is not limited to weak demure young girls character who can't do anything, get it?

There is an episode where Kagamin asked Kona-chan about what moe is, go watch that .. and if you're that lazy then simply go to wikipedia and read about the definition of moe.

Purity can be manufactured a number of ways. And Lucky Star does articulate Moe as being sexual in intent.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
kuron3kosama wrote:
Sacto0562 wrote:
The question now is who will stream the series in the USA? It may be either Daisuki or FUNimation that gets the US streaming rights, especially since Crunchyroll has a relationship with TV Tokyo.
I'm fairly certain that, being a Nico exclusive in Japan, it'll be on Nico for the US as well. I could be wrong though. *shrug*

As for the "what is moe" debate, here's a handy-dandy infographic I found a few weeks ago (as well as the reddit comment-chain that grew from there) that explains moe perfectly.

I don't need an infographic to understand moe. I understand what it is, as well as the value it's derived from. Confused
Psajdak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
Wherever I go, I see people feeling bad about Aya being replaced with Hisako, even on japanese sites.

It made me bitter too.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Wherever I go, I see people feeling bad about Aya being replaced with Hisako, even on japanese sites.

It made me bitter too.

How come?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

It made me bitter too.

How come?

Japanese bloggers will over react to anything that doesn't appease them, not too different from this thread where most of the responses are bickering, ignorant, or ignorant bickering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14