• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Anime Solicitations Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
So when is Viz going to release a new set of Seirei no Moribito discs and, more importantly, offer it on a streaming service somewhere? When Viz picked up the license, it pulled Moribito from Crunchyroll so it could stream it on Neon Alley. Now that Neon Alley is defunct, there are no legal streaming options available. There are still retailers selling their remaining copies of the original Media Blasters version, but once their stocks are depleted, what then, Viz?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
So Viz has a new Spring Anime Survey for those who don't know (which you can get to here: http://bit.ly/VAs14surv)

But the reason I'm posting this is for a specific quote that they say once you finish the survey

Quote:
Oh, and remember that Ranma question earlier about all the sets coming out? Yes, don't worry. All seven sets will be released and will follow a similar packaging configuration. You can, of course get Set 1 now and Set 2 in June.

So for those of you worried, worry no more, they say we're all good
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I like how they put that in there as to say, "don't worry, we won't gimp our releases like we did in the past!" Laughing
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I like how they put that in there as to say, "don't worry, we won't gimp our releases like we did in the past!" Laughing

Yeah, I know, I made sure to put in some choice words at the end, since they claim they're gonna read them all. Not very happy about the fates of Full Moon and Hikaru no Go to be honest. I realize that if the sales were shitty, and they likely were, that it would be stupid to keep releasing them, but that doesn't make me any happier about only getting a partial release.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
In the last section about additional comments, I asked if they could license the live-action Rurouni Kenshin films. Probably won't happen, but it would make an awesome tie-in with their manga releases if they did.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I requested the same thing I always request:

LICENSE RESCUE THE MASTER KEATON ANIME.

One of these days, they'll listen. One of these days.... Cool
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
full moon is like a 50 episode series and they were selling discs with 4 episodes for like 30$? Even though I am a big fan those prices were kind of silly especially since this show was targeted to young girls, no one has that kind of money unless they were expecting overweight otaku to pay for most of it. Back then I even subscribed to shojo beat and had most of the authentic myco CDs and investing in the anime was just not an option.

you can buy like a whole season of pokemon for like 12$, I don't think they had the right idea about the needs of the target audience.

anyway, i filled out the VIZ questionaire. I have not bought ranma yet due to being over budget already with all these high dollar anime releases this past month.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
Yes, the Ranma 1/2 boxes look good but it still hasn't made me want to actually watch the show.

Total of Rumiko shows seen: All the main shows except but Ranma. Yes, Viz, you're rereleasing the series, I've heard, I've seen the releases. Why would I want it, it's Takahashi!

So my comments? Takahasi's gotten old and desperation stinks. I have hundreds of anime shows on DVD/BD but still only 2 Viz titles.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
full moon is like a 50 episode series and they were selling discs with 4 episodes for like 30$?

Hikaru no Go, at 74 episodes, was distributed the same way. Outside of anime fans, who was going to buy that? Suppose a parent happened to see Hikaru somewhere and think, "my kid would like that." In a world where parents buy Disney movies for $20, why would you imagine those same parents would invest hundreds of dollars for a show that might be watched once? Obviously Viz thought the Japanese model for anime distribution would work in the US; why they thought this is beyond me.

Then, on the other hand, we have the ill-served Monster. A least they chose a better distribution model, boxsets, but we got just one boxset of episodes 1-15 and then nothing. Serves Viz right lose the license, though I doubt that will change the odds of Monster ever seeing a complete release in R1.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
Total of Rumiko shows seen: All the main shows except but Ranma.
Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku and Inu Yasha, all of them? That is quite an acomplishment.

Quote:
Takahasi's gotten old and desperation stinks.

I can understand if you don't care for Rumiko Takahasi's works, tastes differ, but why so upset?

Just who is supposed to be desperate? Rumiko Takahashi? she is rich beyond the dreams of most of us. I doubt she was involved beyond formal permission. Viz? They have an established track record with Ranma 1/2. They have issued the show in five versions that I know of, VHS dubbed, VHS subbed, singles, box sets and thin pack box sets. They probably also issued some on Laser Disk. Viz probably has an excellent idea how well this will sell.

In any case, why does it bother you that Viz is issuing something you don't like? No one is going to force you to buy.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

In any case, why does it bother you that Viz is issuing something you don't like? No one is going to force you to buy.

What bothers me is the fact this is what they got. I've been watching what they stream, what they license and what they release. They tried, they failed to meet expectations, they're retreating to "look at these shiny reissues? You know we've released them, right? We're going to release them all ... again... so don't hold back... please, have some mercy on us..."

What I like most about the anime I have is closure, not even real endings, I'm ok with just a sense of "we're done ... for now. But the adventure will continue" and that is the last thing I get from Takahashi's work. Messy, filled with colorful characters, loads of characters, wait a couple of chapters and there'll be more...

Do I like Ranma 1/2? Don't know, haven't seen it but I've heard of it for almost 20 years now, I've seen it for purchase and it's readily available for streaming. There is no incentive for me to watch it {I've given up on 3 out of 4 Takahashi series; That should have been a poll question} and every time I hear more about it from Viz just worries me more because they're stuck in past "success" mode and completely indifferent to the modern market *Neon Alley*. It doesn't help that every mention/review I've seen of the show can't take off the nostalgia glasses, except in regards to the lead female {It's Takahashi, I know how they're like}.

And I dialed back my poll response twice but they're the ones who wanted to know if I wanted "more" old Takahashi works on BD. "What was the first Takahashi anime you've seen?"

It has its own genre?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote

Quote:
I have hundreds of anime shows on DVD/BD but still only 2 Viz titles.

Quote:
I've been watching what they stream, what they license and what they release. They tried, they failed to meet expectations,

You spend a lot of time worrying about a company whose output you don't buy. You do know you can't run the company for them, don't you? Even if their decision are bad, it is their company, and yes, Neon Alley was fairly bad.

Ranma 1/2 is more of a slam dunk than an act of desperation. It has a built in audience and, at least the Blu-ray, is new and improved. It has already been localized, including a complete dub, the remastering was done in Japan, all they had to do was author the disks and have some packaging made. This is more like minimum risk and good return.

Obviously they are not going to sell you a copy. Off hand, I can't think of any company where I wanted everything they put out. Same goes for Viz. It is not like they are the only game in town, they are not even one of the biggest players. They are primarily a manga company that occasionally puts out anime. I simply see no reason why you should get upset even if they are living off of faded glory.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I requested the same thing I always request:

LICENSE RESCUE THE MASTER KEATON ANIME.

One of these days, they'll listen. One of these days.... Cool

Wait....you want a company that already has a black mark with Naoki Urasawa works (Monster) to license another Naoki Urasawa work? Laughing
WTK

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialVIZMedia/posts/10152481362293552?comment_id=10152481589238552&offset=0&total_comments=2
Quote:
- Just wondering...How come Bleach dvd volume 21 and Naruto Shippuden volume 19 are not up for pre-order on Amazon???

- our products are distributed by Warner Brothers, and currently they're in contract negotiations with Amazon. Pre-orders are disabled while that goes on, but we're hoping it will be resolved soon.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
In the last section about additional comments, I asked if they could license the live-action Rurouni Kenshin films. Probably won't happen, but it would make an awesome tie-in with their manga releases if they did.
I totally forgot about those movies. I would love to see Viz release them. They've licensed a few live action movies before haven't they?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 29