• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Yū Serizawa Apologizes to Fans For Wearing Ring

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Idols should be able to date or marry if they want to without the permission of the agency or fans. At least some fans were nice and respectful in congratulating her because many idols aren't so lucky especially since it's her second "offense". Seriously the idol industry needs some reforms, no sense in idols having to apologize for searching for true love and happiness and to be restricted to having true love and happiness.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Why is it that singers getting married is a big issue? I really don't get it. People act like it's equivalent to committing genocide. Why? I don't see anything wrong with it.
jet_

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Why is it that singers getting married is a big issue? I really don't get it. People act like it's equivalent to committing genocide. Why? I don't see anything wrong with it.

Because idols exist to make people happy.
They present an image of purity.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It's ridiculous that someone would have to apologise over the fact they the are married; surely this could be marketed in a way to empower fans by showing them that they do will find the person of their dreams etc... surely that is something people can look up to in a role model.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Idols should be able to date or marry if they want to without the permission of the agency or fans. At least some fans were nice and respectful in congratulating her because many idols aren't so lucky especially since it's her second "offense". Seriously the idol industry needs some reforms, no sense in idols having to apologize for searching for true love and happiness and to be restricted to having true love and happiness.

I completely agree and I am in the camp of congratulations.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Why is everyone always so shocked about these kinds of things?
It is her job to remain pure - or at least keep up that image.

There's nothing to get upset if she's open about it though, and it seems Serizawa Yuu understands how to interact with her fans.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't sound like any of the fans threw a fit over it, though. Some voice actress got married a while ago, and her fans unanimously went for "congratulations" instead of "waaah, my idol is no longer pure!"

Seems like the industry is catering to the whims of the handful of wackos who go nuts over things like this. I guess that's nothing new, but it's about time they dropped the no-dating rule.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I died a little bit inside every time I read the word "betrayed" in her tweets. This literally makes me sick, and is why I just can't get into idols.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say it, but it almost seems like she's going way overboard in apologizing in a manner that suggests intentionally attracting more attention to herself.

But if it's just more of that bullshit "purity" standard in Japan, they need to get over it. People screw, all right? People screw, they get engaged, they get married, they have kids. Just because there are dozens of hideous, unlikable, unf***able morons, doesn't mean everybody is one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
So idols have to maintain kafabe in the eyes of the public or face betraying the whole institution, just like pro wrestlers?
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Japanese and their retarded minds. Grow up and let the idols of males and females to marry/date or whatever. Everyone's got their own life.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that the people contributing the most revenue to the Japanese pop idol industry are the crazy people who would be upset that the idol actually has a life.

Why else would it matter so much? She probably hated writing every letter of that "apology"
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Because idols exist to make people happy.
They present an image of purity.

Idols are moe. Moe is about sexual purity. No one is allowed to have the object of the fan's desires. Only the fan, and only in a "pure" way.
That's Japanese otaku culture for you. Anime moe, real life moe the finality/endgame is always the same. The moe object has to embody the "ideal" pure and immaculate sexuality for the gratification of the fan and only the fan.

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Sat May 03, 2014 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I hate to say it, but it almost seems like she's going way overboard in apologizing in a manner that suggests intentionally attracting more attention to herself.

But if it's just more of that bullshit "purity" standard in Japan, they need to get over it. People screw, all right? People screw, they get engaged, they get married, they have kids. Just because there are dozens of hideous, unlikable, unf***able morons, doesn't mean everybody is one.

It's just the sad and pathetic "purity" standard in play, it needs to die as it breeds stalkers (something Japan has serious issues with) and other unhealthy behaviors. Also, don't those managers realize that true love is pure, a healthy marriage is also pure. I'd be happy if one of my favorite idols got married, people reaching their pinnacle of love and/or happiness is heartwarming.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Seems like strawman outrage.

She pulls a prank and apologies for grief that no one has actually given her.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13