• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Necroposting.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No-name

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
The wording you all have chosen is hard to understand as well as the fact I know only how to post on a thread that has caught my eye and I'm going post on it till I can't or my opinion has been known. If it's going to be too freaking difficult for me to post my opinions here then I will delete my account cause it should be fun and open for everyone to post here of their free will and freedom of speech.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
No-name--
  1. Welcome to the fora; please enjoy your stay.
  2. Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but moderators have more rights than users and subscribers do. That's just the way it is.
No-name

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Let me put this way. I am a mediator in a chat room my friends and I use when we are playing online. I understand that the people here enforcing the rules have a lot more say than I do. In the chat room I have lay down the rules and people understand that when we are out off mission it's alright to bs in a proper manner without cursing. But when we are in mission it's mission Intel only. I understand that people like to talk but it needs to be regulated. But it shouldn't be so freaking tightly regulated that I have to worry about breaking 20 million freaking rules (over exgrated) that I don't want to post my opinion that I have the right to do no matter how old the post is or how I wish to write my post.

I believe that posting should be free and open with some rules in place. But I feel like the more I post the more that rules will come out of the wood work and I'm banned from posting. I am sorry for stepping on people's toes, but I have the right to say what I want in a proper manner. And on more thing, if someone does break a rule or two you shouldn't post something about right after them but instead send them a pm explaining what they did and what the rule is in the simplest manner possible cause we all may not know each other since we have usernames to keep us anonymous but the people writing will have their feelings hurt if you call them out like that.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that will really get you banned is a bad attitude, which can include any number of characteristics such as: constant name-calling or belittling, absolute self-absorbtion with total disregard for any opinion other than your own, or general and extreme rudeness towards other.

I don't detect any of these in you. And you're free to post/say all you want, so long as you can be polite and/or respectful of other people, understanding of the way things work around here, etc.

It will take some getting used to, as a lot of people think the rules are pretty strict. But a lot of people also think that strictness is one of the site's strong points.

Good luck.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
It's not really an "offense." All I did was simply point out to you that necroposting is, in fact, something we advise against doing on the site

But why did you call it necroposting?
That thread was started less than 4 months ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Because for Talkback thread, their shelf lives is lesser then a thread on the anime section. I mean Talkback section talked about news current anime news, while anime section is for anyone to comment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
OK. Thank you.
I just read the first post in this thread and it does say that the limit is 2 months for the Talkback forum.

Sorry, Tony K.
I should have done the research before asking the question.
No-name

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I wish to apologize for my outburst earlier even if I am a noob at this. I should havebeen a little more open minded about it but I took it the wrong way. I'm sorry.

N-n
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry if I have to bring this up. I know regarding the shelf-life for talkback, it's written:

nbahn wrote:
In the Talkback forum time-sensitive topics have at most 2 months of shelf life before timing out.

However, I think there are some situation on talkback thread which I think there should be exception to the rule. Here's one example. As you can see the article was first published in Feb of 2014, but as more news come out on this like 6 months later, more news regarding the Korean remake of Nodabile Cantabile is being release (and ANN not report/updating on it immediately whe more news of it come out), I also send the news to ANN and they fail to report on it. So can the talkback shelf-life have some exception from the 2 month rule depend on the circumstances of the article??

My reason for the proposed rule change: when a news article from ANN 2 months after it posted, another news from outside source has reported on it and ANN doesn't release a follow-up article or fail to report on it, I don't want people on ANN to be kept in the dark. This has happen before and I don't want to see ANN forumites/netizens blaming ANN for failing to report on it. So maybe making exception for talkback shelf-life should be considered and carefully revised.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Your issue seems to be more of a "missed/ignored news report rectification" thing, rather than something applicable to the integrity of necroposting.

Personally, I'm fine with the policy as is. And if we make this one exception, I think it would throw everything off and lead to people possibly applying a loophole mentality to satisfy their own personal agendas by saying the rules/policies allowed them to do so in the first place.

If your qualm is more about that particular news bit, I would recommend just making a totally separate thread and commenting/inquiring about it, there (although, it seems those issues have already been addressed in the thread you linked).

As big as the site seems, the staff, itself is quite small in terms of actual bodies. Plus, I'm sure there's only so much news those people can report in a day, so I would think it natural that some news bits may slip through the cracks here and there.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
For me,I don't have a problem with anyone adding to one of my older posts. If someone has some new information or criticism of it,they're more than welcome to do so. I don't know about others but that's been my rule since I've been here. I don't know how the moderators would feel about it,but I'm perfectly alright with it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
We might want to add another time limit stipulation to these rules. I like the one year grace period for reviving a thread but it does open up an annoying loophole. Very old threads that really should be put out of their misery somehow get found every few months and posted in despite the topic being discussed at length.

In this case I am speaking of the recently woken thread Gender switching anime. It's first post is over seven years old and the thread has been revived once again to mention one "we missed".

Now, I think a thread can survive being revisited every so often for a couple years. But it seems to me that after three years or so a (non-series) thread has outlasted its shelf life. Four years, definitely.

Anyone else think so?
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Now, I think a thread can survive being revisited every so often for a couple years. But it seems to me that after three years or so a (non-series) thread has outlasted its shelf life. Four years, definitely.

Anyone else think so?

I do not think so.
I believe that a general topic such as the gender changing does not have a shelf life.
The shows that have been mentioned in the thread are still relevant and new shows that fit the topic can still be made.
As long as there is enough interest that the necroposting rule does not get violated then I think that the thread should be allowed to continue.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe sometimes, but in this case maybe it bugs me becasue it was not really a good thread to begin with, It had a weak focus initially but there isn't really one anymore, gender-switching has been weakened to genre-bending, there's not even any discussion of quality and the new entries of the past few years are practically just listing (admittedly, the OP says it's a listing thread...before such things were discouraged so strongly).

This isn't TVTropes, I don't really need another resource to list examples, even if it's a detailed list.

I guess you could almost say it's practically a recommendation thread, except it's not, it's a list/description thread.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I already messaged the mod in question. But haven't gotten a response yet so perhaps best I explain here...

This thread was locked in the forums for necroposting;
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4311548

The initial article that thread corresponds to is this, posted about a month and a half ago;
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-06-09/smell-like-sailor-moon-with-bandai-eau-de-toilette-perfume/.75352
(Smell Like Sailor Moon With Bandai's Eau de Toilette Perfume)

However this follow-up article, posted today, shares that same forum thread;
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-07-22/sailor-moon-perfume-gets-crystal-version/.76898
(Sailor Moon's Perfume Gets Crystal Version)

I'm pretty sure those July timestamps on that thread were in response to the follow-up, rather than the original, so I'd say the locking was a bit premature in this case...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11