• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Lagoon DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Basically Keys you've reassured me that my money is well spent, I was a bit worried about the dub for this series but seeing as how you've given it flying colors I am really excited. Hopefully my order from Rightstuf will be here on Monday so I can also enjoy it, I can't to have my hands on that sweet case.

Quote:
Somewhat lacking in freshness and overall plot.

I am not worried about this seeing as how the show really does get better, and while this series seems like your generic shooter, but the characters are fleshed out and the second season is quite amazing. The first volume is the first volume, it's the introduction but thankfully the later episodes really do have that bang in it that I am sure everyone was hoping for.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
I walked into my local anime shop hoping that my former boss had stocked this early...

Gawd...

I want this DVD so bad.

That said... some Best Buys seem to have it...
anime_miz

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
This series is definitely worth it... it's quite good in the first season, and there are obviously scenes definitely worth watching again.. but it's the second season that has me wondering, if they would censor it out of the dubbed version if they expect to sell it to a older teen group.
Forlorn Hope

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
Six days ago, I received this from Right Stuf and have watched it TWICE since then. I, for the love of god, didn't remember the series being this good but then it hit me. It's the dub. Hearing the characters speak the language they were intended to (and giving the 'foreign' characters like Bakalika accents) really added to the experience. So ocean studios gets my thumbs up for this project.

Though, one thing annoyed me about Geneon's packaging. On the steelbook case was this huge sticker. No biggie right? Just rip it off and everything's good. Well, not really. After numerous attempts and pulling of teh hair, it finally came off only to leave this HUGE sticky residue which didn't come off until I tried some cooking spray (Hey, it worked). lol, though, maybe I'm the only one who had this problem..

Last edited by Forlorn Hope on Fri May 18, 2007 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
The Geneon rep over at AoD says that they're going to look into it for when The Second Barrage comes out...

But, it seems that they had no choice given that the... uhhh... bar code or something had to be inside the shrink-wrap...

Or something...

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Thank god.

I just couldn't watch the show in Japanese, since almost no characters WERE Japanese in the first place. I knew that a dub would make or break the sale for me. Great to hear it's a good dub. This is now immediately on my must-buy list.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
I saw only one episode of this before it got licensed; but that one episode was enough to make it to the top of my list of anime for the summer. I'm excited to get this soon.

Forlorn Hope wrote:
Though, one thing annoyed me about Geneon's packaging. On the steelbook case was this huge sticker. No biggie right? Just rip it off and everything's good. Well, not really. After numerous attempts and pulling of teh hair, it finally came off only to leave this HUGE sticky residue which didn't come off until I tried some cooking spray (Hey, it worked). lol, though, maybe I'm the only one who had this problem..

Hairdryers are the secret; just blow the hot air on the sticker for a little while. That softens the adhesive and makes it come off a lot easier, and without the residue.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
Awww... come on... when you think about it, a lot of anime has characters that aren't Japanese in it speaking Japanese...

*cough*Monster, whose acting kicked a lot of ass, I thought*cough*

I think it's really all about the final product... but then, I don't speak Japanese, so I wouldn't know.

That said, I'm really looking forward to hearing this dub... too bad I can't do DTS, but it's nice to know that people are rallying behind this one.

Also... given the horror stories, it's very likely that I'm not gonna screw around with that sticker (unless I get steam or... something).
Forlorn Hope

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
IHairdryers are the secret; just blow the hot air on the sticker for a little while. That softens the adhesive and makes it come off a lot easier, and without the residue.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind the next time I encounter an ugly sticker. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
Question: does the English dub voice for Balalaika have an awesome, over-the-top Russian accent? Cool

Also, about the plot, the show never really does have much of an overarching plot beyond the growing of Rock's spine and giving Revy some minuscule shred more humanity than she started with, but after the first disc it will be split up into some larger story arcs. And personally, it's in the clever delivery and historical know-how of these arcs combined with the steady character development that makes the series shine for me (not often you hear about the FARC and the VDV in an anime).

Really, in terms of how the characters develop, it really is like Cowboy Bebop in a way. Just with more of a real-world setting and much rougher edges.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:25 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Really, in terms of how the characters develop, it really is like Cowboy Bebop in a way. Just with more of a real-world setting and much rougher edges.

Agree whereas as Cowboy Bebop really bounces around everywhere and every episode sort of gives you more information about all the characters BL does that in a similar way but just not as chaotic. It feels more linear as the gang goes from job to job, I really hope this series get announced for an additional 12 episodes. I have a feeling it could be the new FMP where when there is a enough source material we get a new animated series.
arkady

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
Automotive wax always removes sticker residue for me.

As for the show itself, I admit it looks interesting, but the mention of "neo-Nazis" seeking a "sunken Nazi sub" tends to put me off. Talk about stereotypical, one-size-fits-all generic villains! "Neo-nazis" have been done to death even more than Terrorists. I was hoping for more originality than this.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, where could you find a show that has a great OP with lines that say,

"I have a big gun, I took it from the lord."

Now that is some feat. Pulling off some sh*t like that you have to be one really bad-assed MF!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now I'm a gal that likes action show, but not really the type that runs out and watches the guys and guns deal. Never understood all that hot blooded testosterone. But I am a Shirow fan so I'm a fan of girls and gun action. So I guess that counts for something. Again never thought I would get into 'BL. Of course I wanted to go for it and see what folks were going on about. After watching a few episodes I was hooked. Talk about your bunch of misfits! Not to mention 'Revy's brazen craziness and the utter stupidity of folks trying to go up against her and company, as well as the utter absurdity of stuff that happens, while being serious at times, spends more time mocking itself has kept me shovelling the sugar coated glass down my throat with a sadistic feeling of utter satisfaction. You have to admit the show is very witty and very well put together. Tarantino would love this type of stuff. It's up his alley. So many interesting characters. And of course I could not help but love lunatic 'Revy'. In many ways, some might think she comes off as being just a one sided character. Which often times viewers don't like. Like the annoyingly aggressive character that doesn't change and is just annoyingly aggressive and you want them to just die. While it does seem that way at first, you really do get more out of 'Revy' as the series goes on. You'll see more to her "rabid bitch" behavior than what's on the surface.

And again who'd ever see a show that glorified smoking so much. Hell, everyone is lighting up. This would almost be one anime that would not be allowed on TV because of the constant tobacco use. This show almost sends the message that being a badass and smoking is COOL!! Hahahahaha!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

As the series goes on in the manga, I wonder if Rei Hiroe will have any background on the characters before the series ends. Of course he's looking forward a 3rd season. HELL! He's dying for another season. He's got more killer maids and other craziness that he wants to see animated. If the author is pushing for it then it may happen. Wink

I can't wait until May 22nd. I want to stop by Best Buy and take a look at the LE version. Considering how short the first half of the series is I might go on and pick it up than wait. And I do want the LE. From the dates it seems they are getting the series out. The last one will be in Sept. unless something changes. But getting season 2 ready for November? Now that is a dream come true. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Of course I already have this printed out and handed to my job for next semester. I think 'BL' would be a good addition to the library's collection. It's just too well put together.

Now all we need are some 'Black Lagoon' T-Shirts.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
i REALLY wanna see the dub now. my main concern was how the voice acting would come out. i wish they would have put this and second barrage together as a single series though, since it flows better... but that's just my opinion.

i predict this will get put into syndication. probably Encore since they got Hellsing.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
So what are the chances of this being on Adult Swim? I debating whetherI should go ahead and buy the DVD or wait until someone decides to put it on TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4