• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Crack the Dirty Message Hidden in Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
OK, it looks like according to Kotaku's Brian Ashcraft. It looks like Attack on Titan's creator has apologized over the hidden sexual innuendo message.

I'll quote:

Quote:
In the latest issue of Attack on Titan, there is a hidden sex gag. Today, the manga's creator Hajime Isayama apologized on his blog. Apparently, he didn't know about it until after the fact.

The manga editor in charge of Attack on Titan explained via Twitter that an assistant allegedly added the gag without Isayama or the editor's knowledge.

"I take full responsibility," wrote Isayama. "The cause was a lack of awareness of my own manga."

"As a result, I let down the people who were looking forward to this instalment, and I think this is inexcusable," the Attack on Titan creator continued.

"I apologize for this, and from here on out, I will be more aware of my own manga so this doesn't happen again and will concentrate on creating better work."

So yeah whatever you read on this article, the creator apologize. I'm sending that Kotaku article to ANN via email to make a follow up article on it.

EDIT: just sent the email to ANN about this, hope they make a follow up article for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
OK, it looks like according to Kotaku's Brian Ashcraft. It looks like Attack on Titan's creator has apologized over the hidden sexual innuendo message.

I'll quote:

Quote:
In the latest issue of Attack on Titan, there is a hidden sex gag. Today, the manga's creator Hajime Isayama apologized on his blog. Apparently, he didn't know about it until after the fact.

The manga editor in charge of Attack on Titan explained via Twitter that an assistant allegedly added the gag without Isayama or the editor's knowledge.

"I take full responsibility," wrote Isayama. "The cause was a lack of awareness of my own manga."

"As a result, I let down the people who were looking forward to this instalment, and I think this is inexcusable," the Attack on Titan creator continued.

"I apologize for this, and from here on out, I will be more aware of my own manga so this doesn't happen again and will concentrate on creating better work."

So yeah whatever you read on this article, the creator apologize. I'm sending that Kotaku article to ANN via email to make a follow up article on it.

EDIT: just sent the email to ANN about this, hope they make a follow up article for this.
His editor should be doing the apology too, with a lame excuse like " the assistant done it and I didn't notice" I'd say quit masquerading as an editor then. Rolling Eyes
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
His editor should be doing the apology too, with a lame excuse like " the assistant done it and I didn't notice" I'd say quit masquerading as an editor then. Rolling Eyes

Well, it's possible the editor will apologize soon anyway.

Oh and looks like ANN did a follow up article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

It definitely is the editor's job to catch things like that. There is one thing that I am curious about, and I am not reading Attack on Titan so I have to ask about it.

Do the characters in the manga read and write Japanese in their world?
If so then the editor should have checked it and those letters should be translated in the English release.
If not then I think that he can be forgiven for not checking what he thought was just some gibberish that was intended to represent some alien language.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
^No, it's supposed to approximate whatever language they speak in the Attack on Titan universe. Considering how many characters have German surnames, it should probably look a little more European than Japanese. It makes a lot of sense that the editor didn't catch it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2