• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Creator Apologizes for Hidden Dirty Message in Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lijachan

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
So it really was an assistant. But, I do hope Isayama does make the manga better as he promised he would. Hehe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I think Assistant-kun may be looking for a new job.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa!
Hold on there.
Don't feel sorry.
There's nothing to be ashamed of.
I absolutely loved it.
ILMAO reading it.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
assistant? I don't think any assistant will risk his job like that. Twisted Evil
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure what he's apologizing for, the subject matter alone is pretty screwed up. Guess "accidental" grime is not cool.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah looks like ANN picked up on this before I sent the email and posted the latest info about the apology.

But anyway, thanks for reporting on it ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mask

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The news on the hidden message was rather amusing. But after giving it some thought, I think it's understandable why Isayama made the apology.

It would've been okay if the random message did not contain any vulgar language. But since it did, AND it was published in a magazine aimed at young boys (not to mention the fanbase significantly expanding to young girls as well), I understand the need to apologize. It's kinda like those subliminal sexual messages in some Disney movies.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The Mask wrote:
I understand the need to apologize. It's kinda like those subliminal sexual messages in some Disney movies.

Ah yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. Laughing

Rob24

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty dumb. I'm not sure what he's apologizing for. It's pretty funny. If you're reading a manga where humans get slaughtered by giant human eating humans and you get offended by an upside down dirty message then there's something hella wrong with you.
The Mask

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Rob24 wrote:
That's pretty dumb. I'm not sure what he's apologizing for. It's pretty funny. If you're reading a manga where humans get slaughtered by giant human eating humans and you get offended by an upside down dirty message then there's something hella wrong with you.

It probably wouldn't have been a problem if Attack on Titan wasn't a shonen series aimed at young boys. Sure, the manga may be gruesome, but the intended target market is still a young audience.

And hey, if ANN thought that the message was NSFW that they had to do a "spoiler tag" of sorts in the past article, it makes more sense for Isayama et al to believe that this kind of message shouldn't appear in a youth-oriented manga.
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Rob24 wrote:

The message was really crude and though I am not offended by it, someone else might be. There isn't anything wrong with the person if they get offended by it because the words used very pretty vulgar that just hearing it can be offensive.

I think it's fine if he apologized for not spotting it because he is responsible for everything on it even if this one was made by an assistant.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
The Mask wrote:
I understand the need to apologize. It's kinda like those subliminal sexual messages in some Disney movies.

Ah yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. Laughing

That does not say 'sex' it says 'SFX' which is a nod to their special effects department. Which is the case for all of the times you see that happen in the Disney movies.

Seriously, do you really think Disney movies would be that obvious?
partially

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The Mask wrote:
The news on the hidden message was rather amusing. But after giving it some thought, I think it's understandable why Isayama made the apology.

It would've been okay if the random message did not contain any vulgar language. But since it did, AND it was published in a magazine aimed at young boys (not to mention the fanbase significantly expanding to young girls as well), I understand the need to apologize. It's kinda like those subliminal sexual messages in some Disney movies.

Well maybe. But it does ask some questions. High graphic violence is fine, but save the children from the weiner word? Wink The message wasn't all that explicit.
Jave

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what he's apologizing for, the subject matter alone is pretty screwed up. Guess "accidental" grime is not cool.

It's a children's comic. Imagine if they had a hidden rape message in Peanuts or something Laughing People'd complain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3