• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'On Your Mark' Pulled from Miyazaki Box Sets After Aska's Drug Arrest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Japan might have seedy parts in the middle of the biggest cities, but it doesn't have crime-ridden ghettos and hoods that perpetuate the cycle of drugs and violence. I'd think the connection to firearms to drugs is what causes more issues over just the drugs themselves. Europe has tons of drug consumption and nowhere near the same level of murders or other violence crimes in America. Dealer's gotta protect his turf and product, so he arms up and now you have an arms race.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
It's amusing when people try to compare a relatively small island nation with a monolithic ethnicity/culture with that of the USA, which is neither small nor monolithic. The way Japan does things would never work in the US, and the reasons for why crime and violence are as they are in the US has reasons that extend far beyond the government's drug policy and drug laws.

As far as the topic itself: it's pretty absurd to pull a work that has been out for 20 years because someone who made music for a song that was in the work was arrested for doing drugs. I don't care how big or small Japan's drug problems are, it's still a ridiculous thing to do.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
Wow, how dumb. It's a great video, and just because one of the group members was arrested for drug possession, it doesn't the music one bit. It's not like he murdered somebody, or committed any other sort of heinous act. Bad move.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
As I'm not a citizen of Japan, I have no right to debate whether I feel that this is an appropriate or justifiable action or not. I do find it to be incredibly disappointing, however, as On Your Mark is certainly my favorite of Ghibli's secondary works, and I really dislike the idea that Japanese companies will try to do whatever they can to remove its legacy from its fans (both in Japan and worldwide).

That being said, I would never have imported the upcoming collection, nor the previous Ghibli shorts collection (and I doubt many others in this thread would have either), so it doesn't really affect me. It'd be nice if someone ever licensed all this stuff and brought it over to the US, but that's probably unlikely as well. Certainly I'm not gonna shed any tears for any pirates whose torrents will now be a tad lighter.

Last edited by Spoofer on Wed May 21, 2014 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Over-react much, Ghibli? Rolling Eyes
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Foolish and humiliating, just let the justice system deal with this. Let the law itself take it's course, don't add insult to injury like this and end up screwing fans as a result.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Just a little cultural explanation from someone who lives in Japan

Out of curiosity, what are their reactions to western artists who used drugs?

Although she's not a western muscian, Paris Hilton was banned from entering Japan over drug charges.

http://metro.co.uk/2010/09/22/paris-hilton-banned-from-japan-over-drug-charges-519970/

EDIT: The Rolling Stones Mick Jagger was banned from Japan over drug use and had to cancel their 1973 tour dates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones_Pacific_Tour_1973

Paul McCarthay is also another person banned from Japan as well.

Last edited by trunkschan90 on Wed May 21, 2014 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

Although she's not a western muscian, Paris Hilton was banned from entering Japan over drug charges.

http://metro.co.uk/2010/09/22/paris-hilton-banned-from-japan-over-drug-charges-519970/

Oh thanks, that sort of answer my question.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Katy Perry's ex-hubbie Russel Brand was deported from Japan after they discovered he was arrested for heroine 10 years earlier.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

Katy Perry's ex-hubbie Russel Brand was deported from Japan after they discovered he was arrested for heroine 10 years earlier.

Yeah, did some research and turns out you're correct, looks like western celebs doing drug aren't exempt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
It is rather disappointing that so many people think that their access to anime is more important than the possible effect of drug abuse on Japanese society.

I am wondering what typically happens in these situations with somebody who is not a celebrity.
I think that it probably varies due to the person's position, but just for illustration assume that it is a mid-level executive in a large company.
My impression is that he would be expected to resign his position so that his arrest would not reflect negatively on his employers and co-workers.
But my impressions of Japanese society come almost entirely from anime and manga and might be very warped and inaccurate.

Does anybody know how an arrest like this would impact an "ordinary" person?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Enurtsol already explain that on page 1 of this thread.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

I happened to have been in Tokyo at the exact same time Paris was.
I even saw her on a Japanese television show while at the hotel.
Shocked
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Touma wrote:

Enurtsol already explain that on page 1 of this thread.

I either missed or forgot about that.
Thanks for the link.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6