• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fresh News Reports

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I don't believe it's possible to set something like that up with our system, but I'd have to look. Either way, we can't guarantee will write every lead we recieve for reasons I've already stated.

I understand, but my criticism of "you guys report the story too late" still stand, that's my only issue for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
You're getting to the point where you're just harassing the news team. Let them do their jobs. It's enough already.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Hi, an auto-responder isn't possible. The e-mail address that you submit news to is the same e-mail address that our newsteam uses to correspond with professionals in the industry. We wouldn't want to be sending the same automated message to professionals as we do to fans, etc...

Also, if you submit a newstip to the New York Times, you'll notice they don't have an auto-responder.

As for speeding up the process, you're more than welcome to donate enough to ANN for us to hire another journalist. But until such time as we either 1) Magically obtain the budget for another journalist or 2) grow enough to hire more journalists, our team can't work faster than it does.

Omiya, as Lynzee stated, we always acknowledge every news tip in the article we write. That is really important to us because we really appreciate the tips and we feel that people deserve credit for helping us.

-t
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Tempest, thank you for explaining why an auto-responder wouldn't work. I hadn't posted to the thread, but I know I personally have had problems with e-mails not getting to their destinations, so whenever I send something in that doesn't get posted, I never know if it's because it didn't go through at all.

Sakura-Con, for some of its events, uses a web form for submissions. You get an auto-response for submitting, and then the form sends it to the person responsible for that event. But since it's through the website form, it doesn't put an auto-responder on the e-mail. Would this be something possible for ANN, so that we could submit via the website, instead of e-mail? It would solve both the auto-responder and the e-mails not going through properly problem.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Tempest, thank you for the response. I also apologize if my comment looks like I'm harassing the ANN staff, it's not and that wasn't my intention to do it. I'm just giving a fair criticism. I mean no offense to any of the ANN staff, I think they do a good job but I'm just showing concern when it comes to putting it out quickly, but I do see some improvement on the speed of the article being release, so that is a good start for you guys on ANN. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Dessa: I think that's a really good idea. It'd be something Tempest would probably have to work out with our web designer (who is working on a a lot of cool things right now!) but would be a nice addition to the site.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Hi, an auto-responder isn't possible. The e-mail address that you submit news to is the same e-mail address that our newsteam uses to correspond with professionals in the industry. We wouldn't want to be sending the same automated message to professionals as we do to fans, etc...

[...]

Omiya, as Lynzee stated, we always acknowledge every news tip in the article we write. That is really important to us because we really appreciate the tips and we feel that people deserve credit for helping us.

-t

Thanks, I do appreciate the reporting work done by ANN.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Dessa,

I have been thinking of moving public submissions to a form for years. I would still have to leave a public e-mail address for people with attachments (public attachments in a form = bad idea) and for people who regularly submit and don't want to use the form.

Another idea would be to use a different address for submissions and correspondences, and have the auto-responder only on the submission e-mail addy. But we already have so many e-mail addresses, it's kind of overdone as it is...

I'll try to figure something out. But I definitely understand the "was it received?" concern.

-t
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Tempest, I do like Dessa's idea. I would love to see that in action from ANN.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
Also, until I asked, I was unaware of the:

[email protected]

email address.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2