• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'On Your Mark' Pulled from Miyazaki Box Sets After Aska's Drug Arrest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The simple truth about this whole ordeal is that the Japanese government is scared shitless of so called illegal drugs. Think about it, many people consume them to unwind from word (downers) or to get an extra shot of energy (uppers), knowing how the average salaryman is overworked, the market potential for illegal drugs in Japan is HUGE!!! Now, if they ever become popular (many might want to try if their favorite artist is said to consume them), the yakuza would have a huge source of income and they could in turn buy politicians left and right (do you really think those politicians opposing drugs legalization are not receiving kickbacks from the cartels?). It would be a huge shift in power with far reaching consequences.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I either missed or forgot about that.
Thanks for the link.

You're welcome!!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I think removing the video is a bad idea. I mean, imagine if they found out Albert Einstein regularly smoked marijuana --- would they remove anything featuring his writings from public circulation? I guess the way I look at it is, everyone has good and bad qualities, and if you want to punish a guy in the court system for one of his bad qualities, well that's one thing --- but removing all of his good qualities from public view too, like what they're doing with Aska's music? That just seems to be saying "hey, you messed up on one thing in your life, that means everything you ever made/said/did must be messed up too", and I think that's an unfair way of looking at people.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
walw: It's a cultural thing. The Japanese really don't tolerate drug use.

I still don't get the connection. Confused
If Chage, Aska, or even Miyazaki (hey, it could happen) had been arrested on illegal-minor charges, then okay, I can see how kidnapping underage angels might not be considered tasteful in context.

But if we pulled all of an artist's work for drug charges, half of Paul McCartney's songs would no longer be playing on the radio, Oliver Stone and Kevin Smith movies would disappear from our culture, and Cartoon Network would go off the air overnight.
(OTOH, sayyyy.... Wink )
Galap

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This is really stupid. I'm about as against drugs as a person can be, but even I think that this is being handled very badly.

1: It's not fair to the large number of people other than Aska who worked on On Your Mark: animators, background artists, etc.

2: I really don't think it makes sense to do something like this based on what an artist did 20 years later. In fact, I think that what an artist does well or poorly in other contexts has almost no bearing on their work at all.

The truly disturbing thing is the fact that I think that this originates from a trend of people who want to isolate themselves in every way from any views that they disagree with. The same thing happened with that dumb Ender's Game thing. As anti-drug as I am, I can be (and am) friends with people whose views about that differ from mine, as can I be friends with people whose views about other things that matter to me are different.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

Paul McCarthay is also another person banned from Japan as well.

Well he's no longer ban from Japan and recently he was supposed to do concert tours in Japan, but have to cancelled it due to illness:

USA Today-Paul Mccartney cancel Japan tour due to virus

BBC News-Paul McCartney cancels Japan tour due to illness

NHK World-Paul McCartney cancels Japan shows due to illness

I'll quote the NHK World article since they don't stay there for long:

NHK World wrote:
The British pop star Paul McCartney has cancelled all of his concerts in Japan due to an illness.

The 71-year-old rock musician was originally scheduled to perform 3 shows in Tokyo and one in Osaka. But he came down with a virus on Friday after arriving in Japan the previous day.

Some 170,000 fans were expected to attend the 4 shows.

Wednesday's performance at Tokyo's Nippon Budokan was expected to be special as he performed there as a member of the Beatles 48 years ago.

Tickets for the concert were nearly sold out, including those priced at about a thousand dollars.

McCartney released a message saying that he is very sorry for not being able to perform and thanking his Japanese fans for their messages of support and encouragement.

He added that he hopes to be able to make up for the cancellation some time soon.

May 20, 2014 - Updated 04:10 UTC

So it looks like Japan sort of forgive Paul McCarthy for doing drug from what I'm reading from those articles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Banning people from entering your country/kicking them out is not the same as what is going on here. It would be the same if they not only banned the person in question, but also removed all works they had been part of as well.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Since the Ghibli ga Ippai Special Short Short anime collection is being recalled to remove the On Your Mark music video from the market.

If you want to get a copy of the region 2 DVD move fast.

http://www.koyagi.com/recAnime.html#GhibligaIppai

Last edited by Gilles Poitras on Wed May 21, 2014 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Re Paul McCartney:

mdo7 wrote:

Well he's no longer ban from Japan and recently he was supposed to do concert tours in Japan, but have to cancelled it due to illness:

So it looks like Japan sort of forgive Paul McCarthy for doing drug from what I'm reading from those articles.

He gets in on a technicality. He was arrested for pot possession while entering, then detained and deported. No conviction, which would totally ban him. Ten years later he was allowed back in for a concert and then had to leave. The cancelled concert would be second one since his deportation.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Apply this mentality to the music industry on a global scale and it would collapse over night.

Perhaps the western music industry needs a reform if this is the foundation it's built upon. It's pretty sad to see so many people willing to accept breaking the law and doing harmful things so long as they can get their fix of media. It's a perfect allegory for drug abuse, though.

-Stuart Smith
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
In response to the off-topic banter about Mexican drug wars, those posts have been deleted, along with various one-liner or over-quoted posts I saw along the way.

This article is *not* about drug trafficking in Mexico, so leave it out of the discussion, please.

Thank you for your cooperation.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder what the Japanese attitude is toward medical marijuana.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
In response to the off-topic banter about Mexican drug wars, those posts have been deleted, along with various one-liner or over-quoted posts I saw along the way.

This article is *not* about drug trafficking in Mexico, so leave it out of the discussion, please.

Thank you for your cooperation.

First of all, I like to thank Tony. K for cleaning this up, this was getting out of control.

Gilles Poitras wrote:

mdo7 wrote:

He gets in on a technicality. He was arrested for pot possession while entering, then detained and deported. No conviction, which would totally ban him. Ten years later he was allowed back in for a concert and then had to leave. The cancelled concert would be second one since his deportation.

That or Japan maybe forgive him because of The Beatles impact on rock & roll music. I mean Paul is a legend, there's no way Japan would turn down a legend when it comes Paul McCarthy.

GATSU wrote:
I just wonder what the Japanese attitude is toward medical marijuana.

Refer to Enurtsol's post on Page 1, he sort of explained it.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Just to get this straight. When news about how the Japanese Music Industry handles sex, something completely legal and healthy, in their contracts there's a strong forum opinion to defend them because "it's in the contract," yet when it comes to drugs, something actually illegal, suddenly the contract shouldn't matter?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
- Japan does not have "innocent until proven guilty." Japan has "guilty until proven innocent." So no, they do not know of this term in their society since it doesn't exist.

The thing is, these are cultural differences. So just calling it "stupid" isn't exactly progressive... ^^;

See, no...the "cultural relativism" ball doesn't fly very far. A given society doesn't get carte blanche to flout certain basic human rights just because it developed in a different way than another particular society, and the rest of the world has every right (and indeed the duty) to call them on it. In this particular example, the presumption of "guilty until proven innocent" is objectively worse than its opposite, due to the fact that the state has (essentially) unlimited resources to pursue a criminal case, whereas the vast majority of defendants do not. To balance this, the burden of proof is placed on the state: they're the ones who have to show beyond reasonable doubt that a crime was committed, and that the defendant committed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6