• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Manga from Fruits Basket Creator Set to Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Comi Press wrote
Quote:
The new manga, titled Hoshi wa Utau (Stars Sing), will be a romance story. The texts beside the title reads: "The stray stars' one-sided love romance."

Stray stars...hmmm. I think I need a little more information but...I am a huge Fruits Basket fan, so she'll automatically get a real good chance when it arrives here.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
All they need is a sticker that says "From the creator of Fruits Basket" and it'll sell. Smile Well let's see if it's a gold mine!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
I am so excited about this! I hope that someone eventually picks this up and brings an English version to the States. I'm still waiting and hoping that someone (Tokyopop maybe? Anyone?) will bring over Takaya-sensei's other works, including Tsubasa o Motsu Mono (Those Who Have Wings). Writer Tad Williams (Tailchaser's Song, etc.) has described writer Peter S. Beagle (The Last Unicorn, etc.) as "...a bandit prince out to steal readers' hearts." That's what Takaya-sensei has done with her wonderful Fruits Basket --stolen my heart--so I am awfully eager to read more of Takaya-sensei's works, just as I am eager to read future works by Peter S. Beagle and any of his out-of-print works that I haven't read yet. Actually, I think Natsuki Takaya might be a better "bandit princess" than Peter S. Beagle is a "bandit prince" even if I can only base this opinion on one of her works so far--but maybe I shouldn't compare apples and oranges, manga-kas and American fantasists. And I do love Peter S. Beagle's work, but...I'm pretty sure that my emotions have been much more strongly moved by Fruits Basket. At the very least, I can say that it has probably made me cry more. It seems like every time I read a new volume of Fruits Basket, something in it makes me cry. And I'd say that a Fruits Basket cry is a cathartic cry. Anime smile I hope that Takaya-sensei's new manga title will be successful and just as emotionally moving!
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
Star Song? Singing Star? Anyone know what its supposed to be?

Title sounds interesting at least - we will have to see...

In the meantime, I should probably get the rest of the Fruits Basket manga and read them - loved the Anime, only bought a few of the manga so far though.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Yes, you really should buy and read the rest of the FB manga. It's fantastic. I've loved every volume (and like Tabby Girl, I've cried too; the last volume about Tohru's mother was extremely moving). I just wish they'd translate and publish them faster here. There's something like 7 volumes left to come out here? And there's one published about every 6 months; that's a long wait to get to the ending, and it's so frustrating.
Have none of her previous works been published here in the states?
I'd be happy if her new work came here, but I'd be afraid of how horribly long it would take.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
WOW - 7 more volumes left to go - yeah I hear you on the long time for releases - but with all the other manga everyone else is putting out too, I dont think bookstores can handle any more than they got on their plate now - and people probably cant handle buying the manga that quickly either.

I hear that the manga continue the story FAR FAR beyond the Anime, so I am looking forward to it.
Akari-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I really love Natsuki Takaya's work and I am a really huge fan of her Fruits Basket series. I really hope that her new manga gets released in the States as she is my favorite illustrator and writer. I just wish that Tokyopop had a quicker release schedule on their titles. The two main series being released by them that I am collecting Fruits Basket and Karin (Chibi Vampire) both won't have new volumes available until August.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
WOW - 7 more volumes left to go - yeah I hear you on the long time for releases - but with all the other manga everyone else is putting out too, I don't think bookstores can handle any more than they got on their plate now - and people probably can't handle buying the manga that quickly either.

I hear that the manga continue the story FAR FAR beyond the Anime, so I am looking forward to it.

To my understanding, the anime stops around volume 8 of the manga. So the story does continue much farther, and a LOT of stuff happens. There's gobs of back story involved, characters that met in the past.... It's a little like Sixth Sense; you start reading the later volumes, then have to go back and reread everything to see what you missed before based on the new information. There's plenty of story twists that I never expected.

I don't see why the bookstores wouldn't be able to handle it. Fruits Basket is one of the higher quality manga out there, and one of the most popular. It would do everyone well to get the rest published a little quicker, especially since it's finished in Japan. It's a little upsetting to me that I have to wait 3 or so more years to get to the end of the story.
I've seen other manga come out much faster. Skip Beat has been coming out very quickly, as far as manga releases go. It's only been out for a year or two, and the 7th volume should be out this summer. I wish they all came out as fast. It would make collecting them all a much less daunting task.
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
I don't see why the bookstores wouldn't be able to handle it. Fruits Basket is one of the higher quality manga out there, and one of the most popular. It would do everyone well to get the rest published a little quicker, especially since it's finished in Japan. It's a little upsetting to me that I have to wait 3 or so more years to get to the end of the story.

Oh, it's not that bad. The volumes have been coming out every 4 months, not 6(except when they rushed the schedule to release three volumes during the summer), which is on the slow side but within the normal range of a release schedule.

And I don't think TP is just doing this to be difficult--they started out at a 2-month schedule, switched to a 1-month schedule for a bit, then went to the current 4-month schedule...and it's since they made that switch that it started hitting the US bestseller lists. I'm guessing that someone who actually has access to the sales figures knows what they're doing.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Fruits Basket's release rate and the fact that it will take nearly two years from now to see the end despite being finished annoys me, but not nearly so much as Samurai Deeper Kyo, which is also finished but still has 17 volumes to go. In both cases, I stopped reading a couple volumes ago, and I'll reread what I've read and then finish it when its about time for the last volume to come out.

This is all because Tokyopop has put everything in their catalogue on a quarterly schedule. It's not so bad for short series but for 20+ volume series that are already finished, it is very annoying.

Quote:
I've seen other manga come out much faster. Skip Beat has been coming out very quickly, as far as manga releases go. It's only been out for a year or two, and the 7th volume should be out this summer.

That's not quick, just normal (for Viz, at least). It's on a bi-monthly release schedule which Viz does for most of their releases that aren't running in their magazines or close to catching up to (or already caught up with) the Japanese release. Actually, I guess bi-monthly is the old normal. All the new publishers seem to be using a quarterly schedule and Viz has switched some of their titles to quarterly now (like Flame of Recca). Tokyopop used to do bi-monthly releases for most of their titles but switched to quarterly about a year ago.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon May 21, 2007 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I bet Tokyopop will grab this title after FB finishes. I hope Takaya-sensei will create another success, though she will always be know for Fruits Basket.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:

Oh, it's not that bad. The volumes have been coming out every 4 months, not 6(except when they rushed the schedule to release three volumes during the summer), which is on the slow side but within the normal range of a release schedule.

And I don't think TP is just doing this to be difficult--they started out at a 2-month schedule, switched to a 1-month schedule for a bit, then went to the current 4-month schedule...and it's since they made that switch that it started hitting the US bestseller lists. I'm guessing that someone who actually has access to the sales figures knows what they're doing.

Oh, I'm sorry! My mistake. It sure seems like there's only 2-3 a year. And if it's every four months, that is only 3 a year. It just seems like it's taking forever, I guess. It's not as slow as Trigun, though, but it really seems like I see multiple volumes of other manga come and go before I get another Fruits Basket.
I did not mean to suggest in any way that TP was doing this on purpose. I'm not mad at them, it's just a little frustrating for those longer volume runs to come out so slowly. I was very lucky when I started reading Love Hina, because they had all come out already. Sorry, I guess I'm just impatient. Sad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know some details on the aftermath of FB. The series has definetly has brought her out as a mainstream author, her previous works weren't as popular. As long as nothing bad goes, the good name of Fruits Basket will protect her.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
WOW - 7 more volumes left to go - yeah I hear you on the long time for releases - but with all the other manga everyone else is putting out too, I don't think bookstores can handle any more than they got on their plate now - and people probably can't handle buying the manga that quickly either.

That's not stopping Viz from flooding the market with Naruto manga volumes (I think they are doing three a month until they catch up to Japan).

Quote:

True, as the anime only covers the first six volumes, some of volume 7 and a bit of volume 8. You'll find that the anime writers changed things a bit and removed and entire story thread started in volume 1, so I highly encourage picking up the manga. Seriously, I think this is one of TokyoPop's better-done adaptations.

As to the new manga, I'll be checking that out for sure. Anime smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
For more information regarding Fruits Basket you can always visit our gargatuan threadin the manga forum Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1