• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Navy to Create Manga to Explain Itself to Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Some one should give the commander a copy of "Planet J@p" That should give him an idea as to what plot to use. Wink
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
does anyone else have a sinking feeling that this is most definitely not going to turn out well?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
does anyone else have a sinking feeling

Laughing Well ya go to get em while there still young and will buy anything you tell them, also which chapters explain Iraq, I'd love to read that.
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
does anyone else have a sinking feeling that this is most definitely not going to turn out well?
Yeah,I think they should tried to aviod patronizing the Japanese. Which is most definitely will happen if they follow the manga's sterotypes. And please for god sake do not tell me that they are going to Japanize George W. Bush if he in the manga. That would start a war right then and there.

Last edited by The Big Bang on Mon May 21, 2007 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenanigan Girl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Anyone want to guess just how much money our government will waste on this project? Forget gas prices lets make a manga explaning ourselves to the Japanese. Confused
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Shenanigan Girl wrote:
Anyone want to guess just how much money our government will waste on this project? Forget gas prices lets make a manga explaning ourselves to the Japanese. Confused

I'm fairly sure they can come up with much worse ways to waste money then a little international PR among countries with a large US miltary presence not actively involved in not-nation-building.
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Shenanigan Girl wrote:
This country is known for flushing money down the toilet for non-important issues. And pushing pressing issues on the back burner. I really doubt that the manga will improve PR with Japan. So,its pretty much a waste of tax payers money.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:
does anyone else have a sinking feeling

Laughing Well ya go to get em while there still young and will buy anything you tell them, also which chapters explain Iraq, I'd love to read that.

As far as explaining global conflict? I don't think that is the goal of this campain/project at all. To me it sounds like they just want to improve relations between locals and the thousands of servicemen(in this case USN) who are stationed there. Nothing wrong with trying to improve and empathize those relations, right. And there has been disagreements and squabbles in the past(which is normal). And the recent base relocations/additions/ and closures in the Okinawa, Yamaguchi and Kanagawa prefectures have left a sour taste with some Japanese I know.
The Big Bang wrote:
Yeah,I think they should tried to aviod patronizing the Japanese. Which is most definitely will happen if they fellow the manga's sterotypes.
Well it is good they said they were going to source it out, so hopefully the makers will be Japanese and not make any silly mistakes.

However I do think it will turn out silly, but look at anything the Govn't produces for general population. I mean it will be PBS kind of stuff. But hopefully it will at least have some sort of good info in it that will be conveyed. And I think that is all they are going for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Could the U.S. navy create a manga to explain itself to the US while they're at it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Big Bang

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Could the U.S. navy create a manga to explain itself to the US while they're at it?
Smile Yeah,they could make its into comedy. How bumbling the so called Commander in Cheif is and his search for Osama Bin Laden and his weponds of mass destruction. Then slapped its with a based on a true story label. And then turned its into a hit tv show. But really that how sad the U.S. goverment has become. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by The Big Bang on Mon May 21, 2007 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
G.W. Bush has been featured in manga several times
So has Paris Hilton

Don't get your feathers so frilled up. This is nothing

Besides, Japan already knows about Maritan. And apparently, a few U.S. solders do, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
"Greetings, Japanese citizens. We're not occupying your islands; we're just 'borrowing' them to fend off Korean commie aggressors. When our stand-off with them ends, we'll gladly return them to you. If the time it took to end the Cold War is any indication, we'll be out of here in about a couple more decades or so. Thanks."
Vekou

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
"Greetings, Japanese citizens. We're not occupying your islands; we're just 'borrowing' them to fend off Korean commie aggressors. When our stand-off with them ends, we'll gladly return them to you. If the time it took to end the Cold War is any indication, we'll be out of here in about a couple more decades or so. Thanks."

A new low. You're pathetic.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
The Big Bang wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Smile Yeah,they could make its into comedy. How bumbling the so called Commander in Cheif is and his search for Osama Bin Laden and his weponds of mass destruction. Then slapped its with a based on a true story label.

I understand you like to insert your blind hatred of the military at any chance you can get. But this has nothing to with Bush, the War on Terror, Iraq, or the search for the murderers of Sept. 11. If you knew anything about history and or military comand structure you would know this is a regional decision made by the CNFJ. And he/she does not need to run this sort of thing by the administration to bring it to fruition. Believe or not, the DoD has other public relations problems besides conflicts in the Middle East, which is about six thousand miles from Japan. Unfourtunetly,(I say unfortunate because I strongly disagree with his premise) GATSU makes a more on target criticism of what will likely be brought up by this campain. I.E. Why we are there, the history since 1945, and the working coalition between the two governments etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
raithnor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll remember to put in a section about: "When some of our servicemembers do despicable things, try not to hold it against the Navy and America as a whole."

In the past there've been some ugly, ugly interactions between US troops and the locals.

I think I remember something similar happening in Iraq with elementary grade children's workbooks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2