• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Resevoir Dawgz

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh MAN!

We're finally here!

I've been waiting for Vengeance for... forever; good to know that the action is intense, like I thought it would be... and manly; I love stuff that's manly.

And hey, it has Nazis; you can never go wrong with anime with Nazis.

As for Tsubasa... I'm still a little bitter this somehow ended up in Koichi Mashimo and Bee Train's hands... I mean, I don't really care about Madhouse not getting the thing anymore, but they could've gone with Bones (like with Angelic Layer) or whoever, and I'd be marginally more interested (I know I'll probably get XXXholic).

But... I wanna give the show a chance... but, on the other hand, I don't want to watch it just for the sake of bitching about it... that's unproductive.

Also, I feel that Carrie Savage should've played Sakura... but Monica Rial is probably just fine.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess there could only be one title shelf worthy.....and it wasn't highlander. Oh well I'll live.

I am really excited about Tsubasa hopefully it will show up at door sooner rather then later, I am such a sucker for adventure type shows. The only question I really have is concerning Afro Samurai. I originally watched the show on SpikeTV and I have to admit it was a badass show worth watching does the directors cut really warrant the price tag? I am probably going to rent the disc and see if the extra footage is worth the price. seeing as how Bestbuy has it on sale and I've got a buddy would use his discount for me. Otherwise great column once again Bamboo, and also enjoyed the extras pictures as well Very Happy.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I guess there could only be one title shelf worthy.....and it wasn't highlander. Oh well I'll live.

Aside from being the most overused (but awesome) joke about the thing, it's actually an overused line in the movie, I'm assuming.

That said, I am also interested in Afro Samurai... I was just kinda avoiding it given that people from the other board seem to think that it was stupid or something, but I dunno... I like that kinda stuff, so I'll bite.

(maybe... next month is kinda expensive... and I bought a bunch of stuff yesterday too)
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I got my Tsubasa box the other day, and just have to mention that it's quite the nice one. I'm impressed. It's a nice break from the norm when it comes to artboxes. I must say FUNi does a good job with their boxes, I recently purchased the Gunslinger Girl Box, the Fruits Basket box and the FMP! TSR box, and I love them. As for the series, I'd already seen these episodes via fansubs (and I loved the little bit I saw of the series fansubbed), but I'll still be watching them again. Not only the check out the dub, but to experience the greatness once again. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Only saw a few episodes of Afro, and was just never interested enough in remembering to watch/record it, so I really don't see the purpose in paying $40 (even discounted heavily of course) for it.

Quote:
He's also finally finished a personal goal: to have an anime whose English title started with every letter of the alphabet.

Drat, still missing Q & Z, do telephone alphabets count? Will just have to add that to the list behind cleaning the place up enough to be able to take photos and not having it be an embarassingly small library. I guess it could be worse, quick check on the manga shelves shows Q/U/V/X/Y/Z missing (*yipes*.)

*sigh* Props for Animaniacs & Dilbert, but still missing numbers and punctuation/symbols, so there is still more to collect.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Afro Samurai should put the cork into those who were lamenting that there's never any heros in anime who are a black dude. This sort of reminded me of "Blade" but without the vampires.
pixiebell

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I have been excited about Tsubasa since I saw the add here at ANN. I now have it saved to my netflix and even though it will be forever untill I get around to watching it, I am glad to learn that it is shelf worthy.
setsuna_

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Haha, my DS lite is named Zetsuei...
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the CCS spinoff in the "Shelf Worthy" ranking, way to go!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Jamee

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Naruto figures and Simpsons box sets. Well done Andrew!
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Tsubasa: Cripes, once more I'm twisting in the wind about whether to add another show to my wishlist. If only one's will could be titanium-plated...

Misc: Nice to see that someone else actually picked up Dilbert; I've been long thinking that I might have been the lone soul to do so.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quote
Not a CLAMP fan either... And I never understood the big deal with TRC. But still everyone's P.O.Vs are respectable.

Highlander? I remember my mom loved watching it when I was a kid. But watching it anime-style? It could either make me get interested in stories like that, or even get my mom insterested in anime (she only watched Black Jack)

About the collection... Pretty cool. The guy has sparks of good and bad taste alike. The ferret? It's enormous for what I've seen O_O.

And on account of anime names for pets, my cats are called Taro and Misaki (Misaki's female, just in case).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
Alright, uncut Afro. I don't care what the hardcore holier than thou shoujo is God fans think, anything with Samuel L. Jackson and swordfights is a good thing.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
I don't get why people love Tsubasa so much. The phrase "standard fantasy series" screams mediocrity at me, and that was the impression I got while watching it. Sure, it was good, but hardly a show I feel compelled to own.
aluria

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
I was so excited when the Tsubasa Chronicle anime came out what 5 episodes into the second season I finally gave up. The entire first season was so bloody so with far too many long panels across the character's faces. I was always thinking "I'm sure its going to get better, I'm sure". It never really did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3