• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aquarion Evol BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shory

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
And then you get to part 2 and the series can no longer be saved.
RealDrakeula

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Funimation's dialogue butchered this series. The subs were clearly a literal translation with people repeating themselves, and English seeming broken. All the while the, dub was nothing but sex puns. You're far better off reading the FFF fansubs. This series is a beautiful gem of emotions and morals that doesn't deserve Funimation's name on it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
RealDrakeula wrote:
All the while the, dub was nothing but sex puns.

So were the subs, so was the whole series. Is it just more obvious to you in English?

I stopped watching after the show lost the character I thought was the most interesting and kept the one I found extremely annoying. Couldn't get any further from "show must go on" for me than that.

And here's a helpful tidbit from somewhere, somehow {ok, tvtropes but they sometimes get info right. Sometimes. Every now and then. Ok, read it and believe it at your own discretion}:

Quote:
Absolute Clam's kanji literally mean "Absolute Sealing"

So, uh, better?
RealDrakeula

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So were the subs, so was the whole series. Is it just more obvious to you in English?

No, not at all. Let me clarify that I do get some points: Amata flies when turned on (amongst other things), Andy is a pervert (wanting his big za-bangs), Cayenne and Shrade have an ongoing gay joke (despite being perfectly straight), etc. However, none of these factors actually influence the story.

It's Zessica's character arc from episodes 9-17 to learn to wear more, good for her. The characters train to master their powers from episode 14 and on which specifically includes Amata flying of only his own discretion. The twists start piling up, which not only are mind blowing, but shift focus as to why Aquarion's are so sensational: the power of the gods; their is a great character development moment involving Crea based around this and her becoming a better leader.

But hell, I'm giving too much credit to the second half with just those few examples. Even the first half was great enough in my opinion. This review talks about Mix being convinced into Union, and is very biased to the sex idea. Rebecca Silverman isn't paying attention to what kind of character development is actually going on. Mix's world isn't being opened up by the sex, but by Mikono's power of connection. Mikono's power is truly a fascinating one, and episode 14 goes a lot more into it. But that was just an example to combat the review.

I think it's a real shame you stopped where you're at. Episode 14 is my favorite episode. The only episode I think ever faltered on writing was episode 18, nothing major, just weaker, than the rest of this extremely well organized, well told, slightly pretentious but honest, mind blowing series.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
RealDrakeula wrote:

I think it's a real shame you stopped where you're at. Episode 14 is my favorite episode.

I had to - that's where the set ended. But I look forward to improvements in the second half, and I'm sorry you didn't agree with my interpretation of Mix's issue.
RealDrakeula

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I had to - that's where the set ended.
Oh I understand, that wasn't meant for you, but animegomaniac. He came across as if he gave up, with or without boxset separation. I know reviewers can only go off of what was given to them.

Nonetheless, I watched the series fansubbed by FFF, so I got a different translation as well. I've only seen episodes 1, 13, and 14 of Funimation's dub, and eps 1-4 of their sub, so I don't know how they handled some characters and other aspects. But I do know I hated what I heard, with or without puns, many lines, and I mean many, missed the mark completely. I even left a rant the length of an essay on my Hummingbird page about all the things Funimation did wrong with episode 14. Not a single pun was involved. Although I think the worst offender was Jin's dialogue in episode 13. "It's just an illusion. I know what's real," made me want to flip a table. Also, don't worry I imported the blu-rays from Japan myself; I needed to own this series and I wasn't willing to give Funi my money for poor quality.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
Thanks, RealDrakeula. Very Happy I really was starting to get intrigued by the end of the set - and my sister spoiler[teared up when Jin died] - but I agree that the innuendo got grating. Seriously, one more "dur hur hur, holes," moment, and I think I was going to scream. The lines were delivered pretty well, though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
luckily i have no problem with the series. then again i have no problem with fanservice type series which is what this series is mainly about. especially part two. sure its grating but for those that like the ecchi/fanservice genre , its a solid series. sure its inferior compared to the prequel, but its still decent,if only for a rental.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I watch the show in the subbed formed, its original one. It dialog wasn't as bad. I wasn't crazy about invasion of the women snatchers thing. Mars needs woman etc.

I did like the old super robot feels to the show.
I noticed in the launch sequence from their base, reminded me of the old Getta-Robo & Getta Robo G. Heck it had same launch sounds from it. (Those old crowds, Getta Robo G became the Starvengers as part of Force Five american adaption.)
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this series a lot. Shockingly, one of my favorite animes. Much better than original (although re-watching it, season 1 was pretty entertaining). I understand the B rating though. The show is ridiculously cheesy. Still the animation is beautiful, and the music is gloriously magnificent. The show has probably my favorite character designs of all the shows I watch. I also find it very funny, and I find all the puns amusing. I've only seen the first episode dubbed, but the dub sounds good so far. My only gripe is Amata's VA. spoiler[ He was a good fit for the rough and rowdy Apollo, but he sounds too tough for the comparatively wimpy Amata. He would fit Kagura better, although his English VA is a good fit too. ]

Oh, and Nobunaga the Fool reminds me of this series sooo much. The same character designer, but also very similar mecha designs. Even the poses and eye flashing thing when starting up are the same. I am seriously surprised Kawamori didn't make the two series related.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:

Oh, and Nobunaga the Fool reminds me of this series sooo much. The same character designer, but also very similar mecha designs. Even the poses and eye flashing thing when starting up are the same. I am seriously surprised Kawamori didn't make the two series related.

You know, it did remind me of something that I just couldn't put my finger on (I assumed it was the first series), and now that you mention Nobunaga the Fool, that's what it was. And hey, that's not over yet, so maybe we'll find out that the two are related somehow... Wink
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that enjoys Brandon Potter's delivery of Zen Fudo's so-lame-its-good philosophy talking points?

As for the Violation of Mix which has Some People in high dudgeon. All the kids -- even those who were enthusiastic about it -- were depicted as having inhibitions overcome by the inter-gender merging. Military training often involves learning to do things that you don't want to do and Mix signed up for the same risks and hardships as everyone else. She stuck with the program so her character doesn't see herself as a victim and neither should you.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
^ Agree with you completely HaruhiToy.

Fudou is really awesome, since his philosophical and interpersonal points have kind of a triple reversal with them: on face they seem deep, but with some silly presentation. Upon some examination, they seem meaningless, but if you think about them more, you start to realize that maybe there's something really there, kind of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1