• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Sound Effect Translations in Tokyopop Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kharis Venn

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote
Somehow I think cost-cutting outweighed authenticity here. If they wanted authenticity, they wouldn't have rewriters reworking the dialogue. They'd do a literal translation (as wonky as that sometimes is) and be done with it.

It drives me nuts that in certain titles (like Dragon Head) they don't translate the sound effects. That's so important in horror titles, where mood and tension are key...

[moved this to manga since it's isn't feedback related to a recent article]
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I hate it when manga companies don't translate sound effects, too, but where is the news item that this is related to? I went poking around on the site and couldn't find anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I hate it when manga companies don't translate sound effects, too, but where is the news item that this is related to? I went poking around on the site and couldn't find anything.

Oh it there ya just have to look all the way back 2002before most of us were visiting this site. I don't mind either way as long as the editor note is at the bottom of the page instead of at the very end.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't have a problem with it. But that's also because I can read Japanese. But I actually prefer the sound effects in Japanese, rather than in English. Ususally when they put them in English, they take out the original Japanese, and sometimes mess with the art. I actually prefer what Viz does with their non-SJ titles. They leave the original Japanese sound effects in and have a glossary by panel at the end of the book. This way if there is a sound effect I don't understand, I can look it up there. Whereas, companies like Del Rey usually put a text box with the translation next to it that is sometimes awkwardly placed. And if they don't find room for it, they just don't translate it. That happened a lot in early Negima volumes. Although, it does look like they are getting better about this.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
To be honest, I don't have a problem with it. But that's also because I can read Japanese. But I actually prefer the sound effects in Japanese, rather than in English. Ususally when they put them in English, they take out the original Japanese, and sometimes mess with the art. I actually prefer what Viz does with their non-SJ titles. They leave the original Japanese sound effects in and have a glossary by panel at the end of the book. This way if there is a sound effect I don't understand, I can look it up there.

Right, but you're approaching that as someone who can somewhat read Japanese. I think it's fairly safe to say that MOST American manga readers can't read a word of Japanese. Imagine reading a book where 4 or 5 times per page you have to flip 200 pages back in the book to figure out what's going on, then flip back. It's horribly annoying.

Not a jellyfish wrote:
Whereas, companies like Del Rey usually put a text box with the translation next to it that is sometimes awkwardly placed. And if they don't find room for it, they just don't translate it. That happened a lot in early Negima volumes. Although, it does look like they are getting better about this.

Most of the Del Rey books I've read are pretty recent (from the last 9 months or so), and I've never really noticed much awkward placement so I guess they've got it down pretty well. I don't really have a preference between actually relettering the sound effects and adding these notes, but I think that adding the side note translation is probably the best compromise to keep everybody happy since it doesn't change the original art but still keeps it easy to read.

Another good compromise, though it depends on how the artist lays out his or her work, is when the sound effects are put in the "gutters" in between panels. I like that quite a bit, actually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, untranslated sound effects are irritating. I usually end up trying to guess the sound from the way the kana are written. "Hmm, that sound looks jagged..."
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
This is really old but it's still annoying. There's no excuse for this other than to cut the cost of translating the books/being lazy. If you want to be as authentic as possible LEARN JAPANESE. The manga-ka put them there for storytelling reasons (in theory, without them your not reading the manga as originally intended), and 99% of the time they aren't drawn well enough to warrant being kept untranslated.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Another good compromise, though it depends on how the artist lays out his or her work, is when the sound effects are put in the "gutters" in between panels. I like that quite a bit, actually.

Yes, this would be my second favorite option. I did approach it from a Japanese readability perspective, and I know I have a habit of forgetting that just because it makes perfect sense to me, doesn't mean it makes perfect sense to everyone else. I have this problem whenever I try to show stuff to my boyfriend in Japanese. I'm a little dense. But it's also just my preference because I do understand it.

I think it's just that I prefer the way Japanese sound effects actually SOUND. Their sound effects are much more versatile than English ones. Kaboom is just such a generic sound effect, but with Japanese, each small difference in a sound effect, makes a different sound. For example, in Japanese, the use of the sound "fuu" for a sigh, as opposed to actually "sigh". The Japanese even actually have a sound effect for the "sound" of silence. I just prefer the onomatopoeic sounds, rather than generic sounds. And that's what the Japanese sfx offers over the English sfx. And usually, when they're translated, they aren't translated syllabilically (sp?) but rather to the literal English translation.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't even pay attention to sound effects, especially not when they are in the back of the book. If a translation is right there, I might look at it, but most of the time I find them rather non-sensical and so don't bother.
Truered

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quote
I never really take much notice of sound effects. The small descriptions between panels are helpful. I never bother looking up translations, and I'd rather see the artists original drawing matching the images then having "Whoosh" or "Bam" written. Its in one or two of the manga volumes I've read (I forget which) and it just seems out of place.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The glossary in the back of the book is one of the worst way to translate the sfx because it really distrupt the flow the of the story and most people wouldn't bother flipping to the back every 5 pages and look something up. Just translate the sfx within small brackets on the same page.

Not a Jellyfish wrote:

I think it's just that I prefer the way Japanese sound effects actually SOUND. Their sound effects are much more versatile than English ones. Kaboom is just such a generic sound effect, but with Japanese, each small difference in a sound effect, makes a different sound. For example, in Japanese, the use of the sound "fuu" for a sigh, as opposed to actually "sigh". The Japanese even actually have a sound effect for the "sound" of silence. I just prefer the onomatopoeic sounds, rather than generic sounds. And that's what the Japanese sfx offers over the English sfx. And usually, when they're translated, they aren't translated syllabilically (sp?) but rather to the literal English translation.

That's just a general assuption, not all sfx are "Kaboom" or "blam" or those typical comic sfx. Maybe for kiddy title like Naruto, but there are manga with good translated sound effect.

Also your example of "fuu" and "sigh" wouldn't make that much of a difference to me. If a character makes a "fuu" sound, I would figure that he/she is signing, so it wouldn't matter if they put "sigh" instead because the mangaka's idea still comes across andj I would still get what's going in the context of the panal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1