• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Full Moon O Sagashite

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Sana_chan5 wrote:
I really wish Viz would put out a boxset for this series... As well as the rest of the Monster series.

And Hikaru no Go since we're dogpiling unfinished release resentment.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Sana_chan5 wrote:
I really wish Viz would put out a boxset for this series... As well as the rest of the Monster series.

And Hikaru no Go since we're dogpiling unfinished release resentment.
Same here...though just as a thought (anyways, had Full Moon and related stuff back then, but gave them away to a good home, so yeah. Still a good series though. >_>) (Also funny that the Hulu stream of this had the English credits for the rest of the episodes not dubbed on the home release (before the stream got pulled), so yeah, it would have been nice to see the rest of the dub, if they didn't cancel the DVD releases. >_>)
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
while volumes 6 and 7 are nearly impossible to find.

Oh, I guess there's another thing in my collection I didn't realize was rare to find. Incomplete as it is, I'm happy to have them. I kind of like Blue Water's dub of Full Moon o Sagashite, at least with Katie Rowan leading, though it has its weak spots. Wish I still had Fancy Lala in my collection too.

Justin Sevakis wrote:
I have no idea if it was dubbed in its entirety

It probably was. The reason I think so is that there were changes to the English staff credits on Hulu (when it was there) in the mid-40's, and those were tasks that would be specific to an English dub (like "Recording Engineer").
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite being from the early 00's, the show looks very late-90s in appearance,

Those two eras are so close that the only major change would have been the switch to digital occurring. Galaxy Angel, for example, still looks wholly 90s, so you still had a ton of straggler designs.
DigitalFowl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to propose that this particular Pile of Shame not be called that, but try the alternative title of 'Pile of Disappointment' or 'Pile of Sadness' perhaps.

Just throwin' it out there. Nice little read up, glad to have informed myself on this title. Too bad it seems like it didn't have the guts to maybe hit kids with a less happy go lucky and ideal scenario within the story and ending, but hey, I guess you could say that's just... How shoujo/kids shows... handle it?
unitmikey

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Gah I did not even realize it was not streaming where have I been!!??
I liked the manga but the show was a little long so I procrastinated watching it. Darn.
I know that this show was made when the manga was in the way early stages, but I wouldn't mind a shorter version that's maybe twenty-six episodes.
Nonetheless, the manga is pretty good even though it does wallow in the melodrama. I personally do like Tanemura's art, and at only seven volumes it was not too much of a time and money commitment.
The ending was bittersweet but I wanted it a little more bitter. Of course this is for kids so I don't think they could have gone much farther than they did.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
DigitalFowl wrote:
I'd like to propose that this particular Pile of Shame not be called that, but try the alternative title of 'Pile of Disappointment' or 'Pile of Sadness' perhaps.

Just throwin' it out there. Nice little read up, glad to have informed myself on this title.

Is it really that difficult for people to realize that the title of the column means that Justin feels "shame" (or "ashamed, if you want) that he never saw the anime he's talking about previously in his life as an anime fan? The first time I ever saw the "Pile of Shame" name that was the first thing that came to mind: Justin is talking about stuff he never saw before, and he's ashamed to admit it.

I really thought that people were over this (unwarranted) confusion, but I guess all it takes is people to have a smidgen of worry that a favorite title of theirs is going to be talked about in a potentially negative fashion solely because of the word "shame", huh?

Anyway, back on topic, Full Moon is something I've heard a lot of positive talk about, and I've enjoyed the little I've read from Arina Tanemura (all of Jeanne & a few volumes of Gentleman's Alliance Cross), so maybe one day I'll check this out. Maybe if it ever got license rescued I'd give it a buy.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm saying this without reading the article yet, but I didn't enjoy the anime version of FM at all. The dub was definitely bad and I only bought one volume because it was very inferior to the manga. I feel the same about the D.Gray Man anime too.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I think I like the Full Moon manga best of all Tanemura's works, and I love the music for the anime so much that I still often play it to this day. (I especially like the version of SMILE sung by Tanemura.) I liked the anime well enough that I imported the second half, and the OST CDs.

Wasn't Full Moon in the same time period as works like Socrates in Love and Be With You? Maybe there was something in the air.
Beized

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DigitalFowl wrote:

Just throwin' it out there. Nice little read up, glad to have informed myself on this title. Too bad it seems like it didn't have the guts to maybe hit kids with a less happy go lucky and ideal scenario within the story and ending, but hey, I guess you could say that's just... How shoujo/kids shows... handle it?

The eponymous "pile of shame" is the stack shows he has never gotten around to watching, but probably should have, not the shows themselves. The point of the column is to dig into that pile and tell us what he thinks, good, bad, or otherwise.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
So if one were only to read the manga OR watch the anime, which way should I go? Thanks. Considering the last two volumes of the anime are hard to get... dammit.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series back in 2002. I was saddened the manga was still going and had better back stories for the shinigami and other things.

Still remember some asshole on msn ruining the major plot point at episode 5. Mad
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree that this should be on the Pile of Shame. As a super fan of the original manga, I hated this anime. Both the budget and the lack of wait for the original manga (it was 7 volumes ! Wait till there were 5!!) were the nail in the coffin. The manga was a masterpiece... The anime? Not so much. It sugar-coats the original story so much I can't describe.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I completely agree that this should be on the Pile of Shame.

I agree. Justin never got around to watching this anime & finally watched it & removed the "shame" of having never-Oh, wait.

Quote:
As a super fan of the original manga, I hated this anime. Both the budget and the lack of wait for the original manga (it was 7 volumes ! Wait till there were 5!!) were the nail in the coffin. The manga was a masterpiece... The anime? Not so much. It sugar-coats the original story so much I can't describe.

You're just misinterpreting the title of the column in the opposite way other people did, huh?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
@Graceful Nanami
Read the manga. It has the complete story. Even if you find the last two volumes of the anime that is only 28 of 52 episodes of the complete anime. If Viz or someone else ever releases all of the anime, it has a different ending.

When Viz first started issuing the anime, I remember reading that they set it up for 52 episodes based on her having only a year to live at the beginning of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3