• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Noein DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
This review mentioned what made me love the series so much. The story was smart and the science was real, or at least theoretically plausible, and most importantly the science and philosophy make perfect sense despite being somewhat confusing at first, and it never gets pretentious or obtuse just for the sake of being so.
Plus the action is totally neat. I really wanna watch that storyboard to screen feature.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
I just watched this last night. Yet another great installment. I too, thought those seahorse-looking aliens were very creepy looking and remembering them now almost give me a chill.

Has it really been 3 months since the last volume? I had almost forgotten what was going on. I guess I'll just re-watch this volume right before I watch the next.

Oh, and good to know about the Easter Eggs. I'll have to check those out Smile
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
I really love Kazuki AKane's works and am also rewatching Heat Guy J, this time in English. He seems like a nice guy when watching the Noein extras, and am sad to discover that volume three concludes his on location stuff. I love the storyboard extra on DVD 3. The fight on top of the dock (dook?) on the second episode is really intense and I love the rough pencil styled effect used here. I believe this series is a must see, especially at 5 episodes for $20. Manga needs to remaster their logo though since it looks awful compared to their high quality transfers.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope that one of the "visual irregularities" that you're referring to isn't episode twelve, Theron. That had such an impressive fight (one of my favorites in anime) that while I could understand somehow not liking it, it's just incredibly involving.

Eventually I'll get around to buying Noein. My current plan is to wait until a box set is released (in 2008, presumably) by Manga Entertainment. As much as I love Noein, I don't have a great desire to see it again so soon.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I really love Kazuki AKane's works and am also rewatching Heat Guy J, this time in English.

Would you recommend having the Japanese or English audio on for a first-time experience? Geneon put out an uber-cheap release of it recently and as summer is around the corner, I felt I'd get around to watching it.
indrik

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Ok. Semi off-topic, and for that I apologize.

But.

Everywhere I look, this is 24 episodes, and there are only 4 dvd releases announced. That would make 20 episodes. So is there a fifth dvd that hasn't been announced yet, or is it only 20 episodes?

No big deal, it just... messes with my particular psychosis.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
Everywhere I look, this is 24 episodes, and there are only 4 dvd releases announced. That would make 20 episodes. So is there a fifth dvd that hasn't been announced yet, or is it only 20 episodes?

Manga Ent. hasn't yet solicited the fifth and last DVD of Noein. Expect it later this year.
indrik

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
It seems kind of odd that they would solicit the first four, and hang off on the fifth. Also that they would release every three months. O'well. Thanks for confirming the suspicion, though.
DanielJr

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I really love Kazuki AKane's works and am also rewatching Heat Guy J, this time in English.

Would you recommend having the Japanese or English audio on for a first-time experience? Geneon put out an uber-cheap release of it recently and as summer is around the corner, I felt I'd get around to watching it.

The English dub is solid. I think Heat Guy J is even cooler in English, but that's just me.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:05 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I hope that one of the "visual irregularities" that you're referring to isn't episode twelve, Theron. That had such an impressive fight (one of my favorites in anime) that while I could understand somehow not liking it, it's just incredibly involving.

No, I'm not refering to the fight scenes, whose visual spectacle, you'll note from the review, I fully appreciate. I am referring to basic irregularities and roughness in the normal character designs - especially, I think, in episodes 13 and 14, although I may not be remembering this accuractely; it's been a month since I actually wrote that review.

Actually this occasional breakdown in character rendering quality and consistency seems to be fairly common in recent titles, and it cuts across different companies, too. Can't entirely be a coincidence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No, I'm not refering to the fight scenes, whose visual spectacle, you'll note from the review, I fully appreciate.

Ah well, it can still look amazing while appearing out-of-place, but thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Actually this occasional breakdown in character rendering quality and consistency seems to be fairly common in recent titles, and it cuts across different companies, too. Can't entirely be a coincidence.

Outsourcing, perhaps? I can't think of much else beyond this. Though, another aspect to consider is that a lot of those inconsistencies are either more frequent or else more noticable in titles animated by studios that usually out put out one title a season or so. Noein, Le Chevalier D'Eon, and Ergo Proxy (oddly enough, the only other series that manglobe has put out other than that is Samurai Champloo, which also suffered from shoddy drawings here and there) are all examples of series that you've reviewed recently which experience this.

You get better animation, perhaps, compared to when cels were used, but you also find more problems like these. Just a thought.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I’ve finally decided to pick this up. Aside from the cool box-art, if V3 at least continues the pace of the last two, then it’ll be worth it (and I’ll stop beating myself about the possibility of missing out).

Now here’s an actual plus to all these long waits for the next volume!
Eliu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone is interested, but if you go to Catsuka.com or

http://catsuka.com/news_detail.php?id=1177704972

you can see some pretty cool pencil test for Noein.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1