• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shion no Ō Anime Announced

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Aweeeeeeeeeesome. I love the couple of chapters I read of this. Comparisons to HikaGo are inevitable, but come on: shogi + murder mysteries? Too good to pass up.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Shion no O assumed the readers knew a lot more about the strategies of shogi. It often referred to techniques as if they were commonplace, which I imagine they are in the professional circuits. A lot of it was way beyond me.

Shion and her little notepad are quite cute. Even though she never speaks, her smiles "speak" volumes.

That series won't be fun to translate though...
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The first issue was one of the worst I've ever read. Between the coldly calculated moe damaged main character, the pointless transvestite, and a horrifically incompetent page where the toddler Shion is dragging a teddy bear on the ground behind her but the artist has totally lost control of the proportions so her arms are almost touching the floor like some sort of mutant gorilla...gave me nightmares.
Hopefully they at least redrew that page for the trades.
If I remember correctly, they started this thing about the same time they canceled Yume Tsukai and let Kitoh Mohiro and Nihei Tsutomu bolt for other magazines. All part of why I ended up dropping Afternoon and just following the good books in trades...
Did Shion no Ou get better, or is it solely kept afloat by the moe crowd?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
it sounds like a good anime. i hope someone will sub it hehe.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Aweeeeeeeeeesome. I love the couple of chapters I read of this. Comparisons to HikaGo are inevitable, but come on: shogi + murder mysteries? Too good to pass up.

I am all about Murder Mysteries count me in. I don't see how this could fail, unless I just ruined it by saying that. I wonder when it will be airing, probably sometime later this year or next year.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1