• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mario Kart 8 Sells Over 1.2 Million During 1st Weekend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
"Mario Kart 8 won't sell!" they said.

"The Pii U is doomed!" they chanted.

"The Wii U will never have great games!"

It feels so great to swim in the tears of Nintendo haters Laughing
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:

It feels so great to swim in the tears of Nintendo haters :lol:

Don't get your bathing suit on yet buddy, we still have a ways to go. X, Bayonetta 2 and Smash are still a ways off. Let's just hope Nintendo can keep up the good work.
wohdin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:

The console still doesn't have a system-seller title for non-Nintendo diehards. What's the current install base of the Wii U? Of course this game is going to be a must-have for people who already own the console, but thinking that this is going to push many console sales is crazy. I don't even think Smash will be that much of a system seller, either, except from the hardcore Nintendo fan and fighting game community overlap, which for the record is not that big.

Like the previous comment... call me when X and Bayonetta 2 come out. I'll almost certainly get MK8 and SSB4 when that happens, but until then, whatevs, I've got Sonic All Stars to tide me over until then.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Nintendo reports 1.1 million Wii U's were sold over the weekend.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
but thinking that this is going to push many console sales is crazy.

It seems to be working in Britain, at least for a little while.

誤称 wrote:

Source?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Akuma-Soul wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Don't get your bathing suit on yet buddy, we still have a ways to go. X, Bayonetta 2 and Smash are still a ways off. Let's just hope Nintendo can keep up the good work.

Don't forget the unavoidable Legend of Zelda title.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
wohdin wrote:
but thinking that this is going to push many console sales is crazy.

It seems to be working in Britain, at least for a little while.

誤称 wrote:

Source?

Humor is lost on you. Smile
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Akuma-Soul wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Yep, I'm waiting to see how this will change the opinion of the Wii U.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
Well done Mario! Cool

Too easy!
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
ShatteredWorld wrote:

The console still doesn't have a system-seller title for non-Nintendo diehards. What's the current install base of the Wii U? Of course this game is going to be a must-have for people who already own the console, but thinking that this is going to push many console sales is crazy. I don't even think Smash will be that much of a system seller, either, except from the hardcore Nintendo fan and fighting game community overlap, which for the record is not that big.

Like the previous comment... call me when X and Bayonetta 2 come out. I'll almost certainly get MK8 and SSB4 when that happens, but until then, whatevs, I've got Sonic All Stars to tide me over until then.

Mario Kart 8 won't be a system seller? I doubt it. This is one of Nintendo's best selling franchises and a work that's noticed and adored by a great amount of casuals. This game may not be the amazing seller Mario Kart Wii was, but it'll do enough that it gets the Wii U talked about until Smash Brothers comes to play.

PS: It's kind of funny that you mention X and Bayonetta 2 as system sellers, but neither of those series have, in North America, touched the sales of the Mario Kart series.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Mario Karts have been bundled with Wiis too, with that infernal wheel.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
Mario Kart 8 won't sell!" they said.

People said the same thing about the 3DS and look at it now..

Unfortunately, it's the cool thing to hate Nintendo. Journalists hate Nintendo because they don't play by their rulebook. Nintendo subverts their outlets with Nintendo Direct, meaning things like exclusive first-looks and bundle unboxings are done by Nintendo's own people, and not by IGN or Kotaku, so they hate not getting those website hits. Journalism sites have no real reason to be nice to Nintendo anymore because Nintendo has been firmly against the intruding influence of gaming journalism for the most part. Because they refuse to play ball, you get tons of sites claiming they will drop out of the hardware market, go third-party, and other absurd and wildly overreactive claims that are fueled purely by hatred.

Fans hate it because their games aren't the brown and bloom shooter/action fest that the industry has become accustomed to. All the cries of the system's failure because it lacks Call of Duty and Watchdogs or other third party EA/Activision games is absurd and one fueled by personal bias.

wohdin wrote:

Your post does not make any sense. X and Bayonetta are Nintendo franchises. Bayonetta is now funded by Nintendo and the X series has been a Nintendo exclusive for it's entire 2 game run. Those games are still for "Nintendo diehards".
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I really dislike Nintendo fanboyism that tries to paint any negativity into this big conspiracy.

Quote:
People said the same thing about the 3DS and look at it now..
What am I supposed to be looking at? A system that is selling better, but still nowhere as well as its predecessor?

Quote:
Unfortunately, it's the cool thing to hate Nintendo. Journalists hate Nintendo because they don't play by their rulebook. Nintendo subverts their outlets with Nintendo Direct, meaning things like exclusive first-looks and bundle unboxings are done by Nintendo's own people, and not by IGN or Kotaku, so they hate not getting those website hits. Journalism sites have no real reason to be nice to Nintendo anymore because Nintendo has been firmly against the intruding influence of gaming journalism for the most part. Because they refuse to play ball, you get tons of sites claiming they will drop out of the hardware market, go third-party, and other absurd and wildly overreactive claims that are fueled purely by hatred.
Please show me those hate articles. Show me these articles that are so ridiculous in thier hate that this little rant here is in fact not some overreaction to fair criticism. Because all I've read on sites like Kotaku are positive pieces about the Wii U and good reviews for MK8. Polygon had a thing asking if the Nintendo is the only one who gets E3 thanks to thier directs.

But when the last CoD came out there were tons of articles and reviews put out talking about how tired this whole thing is. You don't talk about that though. Guess it dosen't fit into your narrative.

Quote:
Fans hate it because their games aren't the brown and bloom shooter/action fest that the industry has become accustomed to. All the cries of the system's failure because it lacks Call of Duty and Watchdogs or other third party EA/Activision games is absurd and one fueled by personal bias.
Well the fact is yes the Wii U is a failure. Yes not having third party support is one reason. Kind of dumb to try and discount this.

Quote:
Your post does not make any sense. X and Bayonetta are Nintendo franchises. Bayonetta is now funded by Nintendo and the X series has been a Nintendo exclusive for it's entire 2 game run. Those games are still for "Nintendo diehards".
No, you're post dosen't make sense.

X and Bayo 2 may be published by Nintendo, but they aren't Nintendo diehard games. Nintendo diehards haven't even played the first bayo and they sure weren't there for Xenoblade. These aren't Zelda and Mario, these aren't Nintendo's usual fare. These are games that speak beyond the choir.

They're still going to bomb no doubt though, but they do speak to someone who wants more then Nintendo's usual ips.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
king 47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
l

Bayonetta is a Sega franchise and the X series is owned by Nintendo since Monolith Soft is first party and is owned by Nintendo. Monolith actually worked I'd Zelda, Brawl, Animal Crossing, and other games.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Mario Kart series as sold 100.13 million copies as of March 31.

This sentence at the end of this article should have been "has"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2