• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf: Customers Report Scratched Attack on Titan Limited Edition Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
Maybe Funimation wanted something other than Sankarea to talk about on their upcoming ANNCast...
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
This btw, is one of the reasons why I use Rightstuf instead of Amazon.

Are there any reports of issues with the Collector's Edition?

If you're talking about the one Funimation is selling through their site. Then probably, as it looks to use the same packaging.

Otherwise the LE is the CE this time.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
there's no way that a different kind of case would for some reason uniformly cause problems with a disk.

Of course there is. I don't know how you could claim there isn't. A classic example of this are the cardboard cases where the discs slide into a cardboard sleeve. The edges of the cardboard definitely have a tendency to scratch the discs when putting them in or taking them out. There's no fundamental reason why a particular package design couldn't be badly designed such that it scratched the discs. Now, whether this particular package design does is another matter, but bad case designs can and do damage discs.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
Also who really cares? It seems like half the people here are making way too big a deal out of this. Some disks had problems, and they're getting replacements. It's generally harmless and in a month everyone will have forgotten.

Seriously? Of course people care if a release is bad and they receive damaged or faulty discs, and it's definitely a big deal if there's a systematic problem with a release that results in damaged or faulty discs. No, it's not the end of the world, but if a large number of copies of a release are damaged or faulty, then folks are going to want to know so that they can avoid that release and wait for the problem to be resolved. And personally, now I know to make sure that my copy works fine rather than waiting a few weeks to watch it. Whether it makes sense to scream bloody murder at Funimation over this is another matter entirely (particularly, since these sorts of problems aren't always avoidable), but this is a problem that matters and that folks are going to want to know about.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
Has anyone had problems even if their discs weren't scratched? Mine weren't scratched, but had some weird debris on them. Popped the first disc in my laptop and took it two tries to recognize it.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
Digipacks are fine and don't scratch up disks. There was probably just a problem during manufacturing; there's no way that a different kind of case would for some reason uniformly cause problems with a disk.

Also who really cares? It seems like half the people here are making way too big a deal out of this. Some disks had problems, and they're getting replacements. It's generally harmless and in a month everyone will have forgotten.

Yes, it is a problem. When a huge release like this has wide-scale issues being reported, then this is a big deal. Seems like you just don't care since you aren't affected by this problem.

Cases can cause problems for discs as well. My Avatar set 1 had a scratched disc because of the design of the digibook, which is pretty much the same as this LE release of Attack on Titan.

Last edited by IZFSLE on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:03 am Reply with quote
Darn I preordered this but as it is coming with other things it didn't ship yet. Hope I don't get faulty discs.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I hate being right about my pessimism because I want Funimation to make lots of money on this release, but they appear to have screwed up. If the design of the digibook is the reason for the scratched discs, I hope they learn their lesson and return to more traditional packaging.

I also want to let Funimation know that I wanted to spend money on the limited edition(s) of Attack on Titan, but the digibook design made me go for the regular editions instead.

And ANN, this news is a big deal; do not bury it in the daily briefs.

Digipacks are fine and don't scratch up disks. There was probably just a problem during manufacturing; there's no way that a different kind of case would for some reason uniformly cause problems with a disk.

Digipacks are indeed fine, but we're not talking about a digipack here. I've got single folded & double folded digipacks and they're distinctly different from how the discs are stored in Funimation's LE/CE.

Funimation's Digibooks have their discs overlapping & there's nothing to seal the digibook with so dirt gets into it quite easily. The Digipack releases I have do not have overlapping discs & come with a chipboard case. The inside of the spine of the chipboard case will protect the digipack's opening from having dirt entering it.

I could guess this is Funimation trying to be unique (just like they were with their premium sets & the cheap extras included...), but unique does not automatically mean good. They could've done regular digipacks, a 24-page standalone booklet & a chipboard box to house part 1 & 2 + any other possible extras.
marajsky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I ordered mine from Amazon and for whatever reason it gives me a late June release date (or ship date, w/e). Guess that might be advantageous for me in light of this.

That's weird, I ordered mine from Amazon too and I just got a emailing saying mine shipped and will be here on Friday (06/06/14). You may want to check your order again.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
No problems with my standard edition blurays.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
I really like Funimation. I feel bad for them and of course the people who received damaged discs.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
It's bad enough they completely dropped the ball with the packaging of this set, but now the disks are scratched too?
Attack on Titan is a huge series - why in the world couldn't they have done a nice chipboard box with a separate booklet instead of releasing some cheaply packaged set that looks like a bootleg? The decision to have the booklet attached to the case baffles me - it's so awkward and weird. My fault for not properly looking at the photos, I guess. I'm kicking myself for spending the extra money on it.
The LE of the third Madoka movie, however, put the AoT LE to shame.
Someone above was asking who cares - collectors care. If a person is shelling out extra money for a Limited Edition set, they're expecting that that set is going to be it. A crappy looking case with an attached booklet and a 3D card (woo!) does not justify the higher cost, IMO. It's a shame, because Funimation can do really nice releases when they try.

Last edited by Quark on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:41 am; edited 4 times in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Yes, it is a problem. When a huge release like this has wide-scale issues being reported, then this is a big deal. Seems like you just don't care since you aren't affected by this problem.

Also, Funimation (the best R1 company in my opinion) cannot afford to have another issue with packaging months after the Psycho-Pass PE problems. Attack on Titan can be a gigantic title for Funimation, but issues with this release can hurt the company's profits and reputation.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Funimation also fucked up the shiki SAVE edition but this isn't being reported. They put giant stickers on the info sheet that goes on the back on the art box. So there's giant stickers on the art box itself which results in the art work ripping off the box. There's gonna be a ton of damaged art box's and if they continue this practice in the future. I broke this breaking news story myself lol. My video youtube.com/watch?v=QLjS8D7t7J0
My anime collection 2014 youtube.com/watch?v=28seY4FOBFI
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, we put in a preorder for our copy for next semester. I hope that Funimation fixes this problem quickly. Imagine those that had to spend $100 for the super ed. and you had scratched discs. This was one reason I was really skeptical about the 'Garden of Sinners' sets because it was a one time deal while supplies last.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Funimation also fucked up the shiki SAVE edition but this isn't being reported. They put giant stickers on the info sheet that goes on the back on the art box. So there's giant stickers on the art box itself which results in the art work ripping off the box. There's gonna be a ton of damaged art box's and if they continue this practice in the future. I broke this breaking news story myself lol. My video youtube.com/watch?v=QLjS8D7t7J0
My anime collection 2014 youtube.com/watch?v=28seY4FOBFI

That's nothing new. They did the same thing for the Shangri-La SAVE set a couple months ago.

They probably do it more just to clear out existing product. As it's easier(& more cost effective) to put a SAVE sheet with stickers on the side of the box than it is to produce a new packaging case for it.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
The stickers aren't necessary period, that's the problem. They put out a million info sheets and never with stickers on the art box until now with those SAVE editions. The SAVE sheet was the same as any info sheet that would come with any art box. On the back, except with giant stickers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4