• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf: Customers Report Scratched Attack on Titan Limited Edition Discs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
@ZorinBlitz

When you buy a Save Edition, you are paying a lesser price for a barebones issue. You are not entitled to an art box. It just happens that it is cheaper for them to not repackage existing sets that didn't sell.

If you are careful and get the sticker off without damage, you win. If you damage the art box throw it away. You are no worse off than if you bought the set in the usual Save Edition package.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Funimation also fucked up the shiki SAVE edition but this isn't being reported. They put giant stickers on the info sheet that goes on the back on the art box. So there's giant stickers on the art box itself which results in the art work ripping off the box. There's gonna be a ton of damaged art box's and if they continue this practice in the future. I broke this breaking news story myself lol. My video youtube.com/watch?v=QLjS8D7t7J0
My anime collection 2014 youtube.com/watch?v=28seY4FOBFI

I had the same problem. They did the same thing with the Shangri-La SAVE set around a month ago. I ripped the artbox taking the stickers off. Luckily, Amazon was kind enough to send me a replacement. Then, when the new copy arrived, I literally spent 20 minutes carefully removing the stickers. It worked out ok, but no way in hell Funi should make someone have to do surgical-level removal of these stickers. I also got the Shiki set a few days ago, and I did the same extremely careful removal and it worked out fine.
bhl88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Any issues with the Collector's Edition?
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I got the LE release (not CE). The Blu-rays were fine, but the first DVD does indeed have two scratches on it; when I popped it into my Blu-Ray Player, it started up on the first go no problem though. I haven't watched any of it yet, so no word on whether the episodes are skipping. It looks like it was likely an error when the discs were created as opposed to a problem with the design of the packaging.

Personally I'm not going to hold Funimation responsible for this one; I'd say it's infinitely more likely it was a problem on the disc production company end. Let's be honest, they're not going to sit back and do nothing about it.

Doesn't really matter in my case as there's no point in my using the DVD when I've got a Blu-ray player. Even then, I'll probably hit up RS to get a replacement disc.
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Funi has been dropping the ball lately. I bought the 2nd season of haganai few weeks ago, limited edition, and the disc 1 bluray was cracked on the edge. Someone just doesnt like their job.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
It looks like it was likely an error when the discs were created as opposed to a problem with the design of the packaging.

Personally I'm not going to hold Funimation responsible for this one; I'd say it's infinitely more likely it was a problem on the disc production company end.

Funimation is not to be blamed? Seriously? I have a lot of respect for Funimation as a company and want them to do well, but it is on them to make sure the discs are error free and/or create packaging that protects the content.

Every time other companies (Sentai most of the times) screw up, they get crucified. Funimation should not get a pass simply because it is everyone's favorite company.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And ANN, this news is a big deal; do not bury it in the daily briefs.

THE CONSPIRACY IS VISIBALE TO US ALL NOW! Twisted Evil

ANN must be licking Funimations boots to keep there QC publications in the daily breefs while Sentai Filmworks QC reports are posted on the main page with visible links and pics! For newcomers to have a propogandus view of Sentai Filmworks as the plague of anime when they are saints!

Shocked NOW THAT I HAD SAID IT! IT MUST BE CANNON!

But in all seriousness, I'am ashamed. I was gonna spend on the collectors pack. But now maybe not until Funimation actuallys posts about this instead of Rightstuf.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
Any issues with the Collector's Edition?

Nope I haven't anyways, but the collectors edition is just the limited edition with an envelope holding the extra items. I wonder if the difference is where it's shipping from. Not that rightists is to blame but I wonder if the shipments they got weren't handled properly by the shipping company or something.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Mine didn't ship yet so I ended up switching to the regular edition to be on the safe side.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
guess i got lucky with mine. no disk errors and since it came wrapped in about 6 feet of the brown paper they use, nothing was broken
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Funimation is not to be blamed? Seriously? I have a lot of respect for Funimation as a company and want them to do well, but it is on them to make sure the discs are error free and/or create packaging that protects the content.

Every time other companies (Sentai most of the times) screw up, they get crucified. Funimation should not get a pass simply because it is everyone's favorite company.

When you're dealing with a large sample size as they are, things are bound to slip through the cracks from time to time. And no, I'm giving them the exact same pass I would for any other company; please don't put words in my mouth.

People are overreacting; what's going to happen? They'll get a replacement disc for free and everything will be right with the world. They'll have to wait an extra month; big deal, life will go on.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
@MacAttack270

It obviously is not a big deal for you, but it is a big deal for many others.

Things also may not flow as smoothly as you think it will. We really don't know how big in numbers the problem is, and Funimation certainly is not talking about it. If this is a design issue or a manufacturing defect and there is no recall, you replacement copy could be damaged also.

Sending returns, waiting for replacement copies, and dealing with customer service are all pains in the neck, which all take up your time.

Funimation's silence on the matter, makes me wonder if I should wait before purchasing, for a comment from Funimation or RightStuf on just how bad the problem is.
Ertxz18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Collector's edition, they sent me two duplicate pins, so I'm missing two pins, and the DVDs (both) were scratched, the blu rays made it safely but still.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Things also may not flow as smoothly as you think it will. We really don't know how big in numbers the problem is, and Funimation certainly is not talking about it. If this is a design issue or a manufacturing defect and there is no recall, you replacement copy could be damaged also.

A good point; after a second look, it does appear I'm being a bit optimistic in my assessment.
Quote:
Funimation's silence on the matter, makes me wonder if I should wait before purchasing, for a comment from Funimation or RightStuf on just how bad the problem is.

Couldn't hurt to wait. I'd say that's the best course of action until some sort of explanation is given.
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
It's crazy pacakaging. I order discs from Japan that come in their own Blu-ray cases in perfect shape and extras inside and outside the blu-ray case but within an outer case. Funimation make a box that could fit a regular Blu-ray and have space for artbook, extras(replica swords), soundtracks or whatnot. I missed the days where you would get the box, a shirt, a manga, a CD soundtrack and maybe stickers or a cool toy and the DVD would be fine. Nowadays with regular blu-rays not even a insert, for shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4