• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal 1st Promo Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the first few episodes of the original on Hulu, and I'm at least glad to see (rather, hear) that Usagi's voice doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard.

Hopefully the whole thing turns out well, as I've been a big fan of the show for decades now.
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Good to FINALLY see some animation for this! Overall, it looks good, but... I'm not really sure about the eyes and lips, the kinda look a little off... Fortunately, I can usually get over those issues rather quickly.

Anyways, looking forward to this, the English dub pushed my away from this and pretty much anything related to magical girls for years, however I eventually got to trying out the manga and enjoyed it. Hope it turns out well...
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I really don't understand where all of the complaints are coming from? It looks gorgeous; way better than anything you'd normally see from a Toei TV Series.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wish they would change Venus's weapon. Looks so sexual....lol
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I really don't understand where all of the complaints are coming from? It looks gorgeous; way better than anything you'd normally see from a Toei TV Series.

Agreed. They captured the manga's design pretty well and it looks lovely. Can't wait for the first episode to come out.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can see they're putting the extra week for each episode to good use.
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
The eyes just don't... they just don't look right. Confused

Still very excited for this, though. Animation is a lot better than what I expected.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
The eyes themselves look fine, but in a few frames, the distance between them is far too close and makes them look pretty awkward. And Sailor Moon was always known for having long legs, but LOOK AT THOSE CHARACTER DESIGNS. I'm comparing them to the manga re-release that I have on hand right now and the new anime's design's legs are longer than anything even CLAMP might do. The proportions are really crazy... though, to be honest, while it's still an exaggeration, a lot of older manga/anime had that kind of long-leg style with exaggerated features--something PReCure somehow makes modern, I've noticed. And this certainly looks very Toei to me.

The only thing that worries me, apart from the eye thing, is how the frames are pieced together. They look really smooth in a few scenes, but there are some scenes in the trailer that look like typical Toei low frame count stuff. I watch a ton of children's anime of lower budgets, so I feel like I've grown aware and accustomed to it, but in something that looks this pretty, it really stands out...
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
DEM LEGS!
Zygarde

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
It looks so horribly generic. Super generic. Not even a little bit generic. It doesn't look much like the manga art..the 90's one fits better! I don't know. So much hype and then we get this. They should've had another studio have at it..Madhouse. Yea, the HunterxHunter people do an outstanding job at it.

Oh well, at the very least they're putting up the older series on Hulu.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I kinda wish they would change Venus's weapon. Looks so sexual....lol

It's kinda odd, because Venus's Love-me-chain is more like a bracelet in both the 90's anime and manga.

Wonder what they're trying to imply here.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well finely getting a PV after all that long of a wait and it looks weird but good

Still wont get hopes up tell the first epsoide is out
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
So Fox McCloud is Tuxedo Mask. This will be interesting. I know Nojima's performance as Kongwai in Tales of Innocence R made him a hit with female fans, so let's see how he does as our favorite rose-flinging caped hero.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
T Sailor Moon was always known for having long legs, but LOOK AT THOSE CHARACTER DESIGNS. I'm comparing them to the manga re-release that I have on hand right now and the new anime's design's legs are longer than anything even CLAMP might do..

LOL, I don't think any anime could beat out CLAMP's designs. Holy cow, they all look like giraffe neck looking arms and legs.

PipingHotTea wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Agreed. They captured the manga's design pretty well and it looks lovely. Can't wait for the first episode to come out.

I also concur. I think that I have to get used to the fact that the anime updated and personally, I think it looks better than the design that they may have gone with in the 90's.

Letthemeatraep wrote:
What the hell is up with that hair design?

o_o;; what you mean? I don't get the initial problem. Looks like the (art style of her) manga to me. Mad
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
What the hell is up with that hair design?

o_o;; what you mean? I don't get the initial problem. Looks like the (art style of her) manga to me. Mad[/quote]

I think the complaint here is that she has a lot of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8