• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal 1st Promo Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
I want to see this so bad now. We might have a Sailor Moon "Sisterhood" in our hands.

Nah, the "sisterhoods" are still watching Frozen--
What we're hoping for with the new and old show is to catch all those future Bronies in time, and let them watch a show whose "girliness" they can comfortably deal with, without making a socially franchising song and dance out of it.
Y'know, like we did back then. Very Happy

zeo1fan wrote:
Quote:
The hair also kinda plays a minor role in the early chapters spoiler[Usagi turning into Princess Serenity for the very time made her hair grow longer and she has to get it trimmed by one of the senshi (forgot which)]

I just looked. It was Minako. So, they pretty much turned that scene into an episode of the original anime. Anime hyper

Which episode was that? I don't remember. Confused
(I remember the time Usagi was captured, and Minako spoiler[had to use Moon's disguise pen to disguise herself as a decoy Sailor Moon to protect Usagi's identity....Only, she couldn't quite get the two hair tails quite right.]
Which also leads me to the worry that we're going to get the "serious" Minako out of manga faithfulness, and the overconfident but misquoting Froot Loop may not be coming back.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Quote:
The hair also kinda plays a minor role in the early chapters spoiler[Usagi turning into Princess Serenity for the very time made her hair grow longer and she has to get it trimmed by one of the senshi (forgot which)]

I just looked. It was Minako. So, they pretty much turned that scene into an episode of the original anime. Anime hyper

Which episode was that? I don't remember. Confused
(I remember the time Usagi was captured, and Minako spoiler[had to use Moon's disguise pen to disguise herself as a decoy Sailor Moon to protect Usagi's identity....Only, she couldn't quite get the two hair tails quite right.]
Which also leads me to the worry that we're going to get the "serious" Minako out of manga faithfulness, and the overconfident but misquoting Froot Loop may not be coming back.)

It's episode 38.
Pangea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Still can't get used to Usagi's face. It looks f*cked up.
ki_881

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Those.....beads....
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

So agreed. I love anime 'Fruit Loop' Minako. The manga version was kind of unmemorable.
This trailer looks gorgeous - it's making me even more excited to see the new series. Flowing hair, everywhere...I'm...I'm so happy.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:

Her face is ok, her legs and those of her companions definitely are not.
Me thinks these animators should follow a basic course on human anatomy. Rolling Eyes
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Pangea wrote:

Her face is ok, her legs and those of her companions definitely are not.
Me thinks these animators should follow a basic course on human anatomy. Rolling Eyes

...or maybe they're sticking closer to the manga designs that had very stylized (or honestly, broken) anatomy. I'm pretty sure the animators have had to take many courses in human anatomy in order to get their jobs.

Last edited by Quark on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

So agreed. I love anime 'Fruit Loop' Minako. The manga version was kind of unmemorable.
This trailer looks gorgeous - it's making me even more excited to see the new series. Flowing hair, everywhere...I'm...I'm so happy.

I like serious Minako from the manga. At least she has to act serious the first time she shows up because she's spoiler[ pretending to be the moon princess. ] She can't act like a goofball when she has a princess to protect. And if I recall she doesn't stay serious so I think it'll be fine. I especially hope Rei's manga personality is in this new anime. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
My only problem with the character designs is that the poor dears need some sandwiches or something. They're rail-thin and stereotypical shoujo-ish, looking a lot like The Rose of Versailles. Or, you know, like the actual Sailor Moon manga, but a tad exaggerated, with those pouty lips.

I love the hair motion. And Mitsuishi can still belt out when she needs to.

Of course it's not going to look just like the previous adaptation. The whole point is for it took look and be more like the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

lol

Naoko is still pretty for her age too.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
Quark wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

I like serious Minako from the manga. At least she has to act serious the first time she shows up because she's spoiler[ pretending to be the moon princess. ] She can't act like a goofball when she has a princess to protect. And if I recall she doesn't stay serious so I think it'll be fine. I especially hope Rei's manga personality is in this new anime. I'm looking forward to it.

Hmm, you make a good point. She's not second-in-command in the anime, so that would explain why she's more relaxed and goofy. I did enjoy the flashback to Silver Millennium and how aggravated Venus got by Princess Serenity's flightiness.
I wasn't able to get a really good grasp of the girls personalities in the manga, whereas in the anime, their personalities came through pretty clearly. Either it's because the manga pacing is fairly fast, or because I read it in Japanese and my Japanese is...not good.

Edit: Love that Naoko meme.

Last edited by Quark on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
T Sailor Moon was always known for having long legs, but LOOK AT THOSE CHARACTER DESIGNS. I'm comparing them to the manga re-release that I have on hand right now and the new anime's design's legs are longer than anything even CLAMP might do..

LOL, I don't think any anime could beat out CLAMP's designs. Holy cow, they all look like giraffe neck looking arms and legs.

To be perfectly honest, Production I.G. is the one mostly guilty of making them look like they have giraffe neck limbs. Their manga style is what I was talking about, which tends to be much more proportionally realistic, but still skinny enough to make them seem really exaggerated.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
That animation is really nice. I really like the coloring and shading. Nice to see Toei make an anime that actually looks like it has a good budget. The main girl's eyes (Usagi, right?) are a bit strange, but everyone else so far looks good. Can't wait.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
My only problem with the character designs is that the poor dears need some sandwiches or something. They're rail-thin

Yep the word is anorexia. These poor girls are paperclip thin.
Not even in the original SM anime series they were this thin. Stylized as crazy yet they maintained a definite humaneness about them. That's all lacking in this "preview".

Quote:

and stereotypical shoujo-ish, looking a lot like The Rose of Versailles. Or, you know, like the actual Sailor Moon manga, but a tad exaggerated, with those pouty lips.

Not at all. I don't know what kind of shoujo anime series you've seen but these modern characters have nothing, nothing in common with how "classical" shoujo characters are drawn.

Quote:

I love the hair motion. And Mitsuishi can still belt out when she needs to.
Of course it's not going to look just like the previous adaptation. The whole point is for it took look and be more like the manga.

The animation seems to be very good. But I still cannot wrap my head around why the characters have to be drawn so badly as in the manga. Maybe Takeuchi doesn't want to be reminded just how shitty/bad her drawings really are. Hence the diktat "don't draw them better than the manga version".

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8