• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Obscure Anime Series Lost in Time

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
6? There's 7, there has always been 7. Count them, there's 7.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
6? There's 7, there has always been 7. Count them, there's 7.
#2 is so obscure it actively resists being discussed on the Internet.

[edit: since it's fixed now, the original list started at 7 and skipped 2.]

Last edited by Mikeski on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
To me there is the one that I always wanted to see:

Shinkai Densetsu Meremanoid
anime#7082

Even had a game made for it but no ones knows about it.

Quote:
it would have been right at home on U.S. TV as a younger version of Conan the Adventurer, He-Man, or The Pirates of Dark Water.

Though I love Pygmalio. That was a great series. Though I wonder how they would have edited the scene where someone murders a princess and uses her face as a mask .... younger ... Huh?
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The semi-biographical anime series is named after the well-known tune by Stephen Foster, otherwise regarded as "the father of American Music"

Wouldn't believe everything you read on Wikipedia mate. Foster sure contributed to the American folk repertory, but not many musicologists regard him as "the father" of American music (indeed, such a notion is quite backwards and misses the point of how music develops in a socio-historic sense).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
I know #4! When I went to Istanbul in 2005 for vacation, the hotel I stayed at had this 24-hour cartoon network on one channel. During mornings, Pygmalio aired, along with Cat's Eye right after it. They were both French dubbed, but thankfully all the French I took in high school way back helped me to understand what was going on. Incidentally, they changed the name of the title to Pygmalion, the main hero was called Carral instead of Kurt and the little dragon was called Leo instead of Leon. I managed to watch a few episodes of both before returning home to the States.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
I came expecting to be an anime hipster, saying I'd heard of these, but I only have heard of one. Schooled.

While we're throwing out obscure anime, I can't help but to plug "Domain of Murder," an obscure OVA that CPM brought over but nobody cared to buy. It's an expertly crafted work of animation, with a compelling central mystery, great dialogue, and some of the best Japanese voice acting you'll ever hear. No exaggeration. I feel like nobody else has ever seen it, but I swear, it's a wonderful little piece of anime.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I have never heard of any of those shows. But I guess that is kind of the point, isn't it.Smile

Forcing me to choose only one work by Rumiko Takahashi is cruel. Cruel I say.Wink
I want with Inuyasha, but it was a very difficult decision. And I might have a different answer tomorrow.

Why is Moeyo Ken on that list?
Are you testing us to see if we are really paying attention?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
According to its ANN Encyclopedia entry, Lun Lun is the sole anime on this list to get a legit English release.

The UK site Anime Bargain Bin has reviews of this and other obscure anime titles that might please Land of Obscusion and Mike Toole. Lun Lun's review said that there were several English releases.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Probably because she's the original character designer for it.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Touma wrote:

Probably because she's the original character designer for it.

So she is.
I did look at the encyclopedia page before I posted, but I missed that. Embarassed
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
For the list, yup, they're obscure. Do they deserve it? Don't know, can't watch everything, won't watch everything. Sorry, series, lost to time...

For the poll, I picked the one I can never remember how to spell so I just shorten it to UY.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
How about Corrector Yui? Only 18 of 52 eps. were released on DVD by Viz. They're not impossible to find (although overpriced because out of print), but there are no fansubs either, so you'll have to learn Japanese to watch the whole series.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. Oh man, thank you for this article.

One of Watts' riddles in the original Japanese version of Breath of Fire 2 was like, "When I say 'Saru', you say...?" And the answers were all sports. I knew "golf" was the correct answer, but I didn't know why until right now. Anime hyper
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
But if you don't like Rumiko Takahashi? Because, i . . . I don't like her work. Heh, heh. Yeah. Anime smile + sweatdrop

runs away, back to the corner from whence he came
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I know about Jeanie with the light brown hair when I was reading about Nippon Animation. I could list more obscure anime that are lost in time:

Attacker no.1 (this anime was shown and was very popular in Europe, never been seen in the US. The same for Attack on Tomorrow and Attacker You!, all shown in Europe but never been seen in the US. IMO, we will probably never see this release in the US)

Bosco Adventure aka Bosco Daibōken-released in Europe and elsewhere in other part of the world, never got a US release and I doubt we will see it on US TV or Hulu.

Nippon Animation's Alice in Wonderland-shown in Europe, and elsewhere. Never seen a release in the US and we will probably never see this getting picked up.

Candy Candy-I think most of you know how popular this series was outside of Japan, it got a limited broadcast in North America. But because of a very long lawsuit between Mizuki and Igarashi and the 2000's lawsuit, I doubt this will ever see the light of day outside of Japan again.

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3