• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal 1st Promo Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:
According to someone at SailorMoonForum/Genvid, we at ANN are all "idiots" for not liking the trailer. :-/ What a horrible site.

To be fair, a lot of people here don't seem to grasp this isn't a remake of the old anime it's an adaption of the manga. If people's complaints about the trailer are "it doesn't look like the 90s anime at all" then they're missing the point entirely on what Crystal is supposed to be.

-Stuart Smith

I guess the folks at SailorMoonForum are the know all on SM huh? I guess they appreciate it more than folks here. Well, goody for them.
The whole matter is almost similar to the whole GSG deal. Madhouse made it kicka$$ but yet it strayed from the original source in design and story. But still managed to give you some of the source material. When S2 came along folks complained that it didn't look like Madhouse. Yet forums had to point out that the designs had to match the artists and direct the some of the story as told in the books. You don't here folks talk much about that series anymore. I was looking at the new Rozen Maiden and I was surprised this time they adapted the style of Peach-Pit. I'm sitting her right now with the manga at my desk and I can see the differences. I haven't even read the damn thing fully yet. I doubt they would have been able to get this type of line work at that time. But I understand, the old show has a place in people's hearts and it's been placed so high on a pedestal that anything trying to unseat it would cause massive destruction. Folks really need to calm down. The show isn't even out and we're making judgments.

I guess when my niece starts watching the show the first thing that's going to come out of her mouth is that she liked the old on better and the new one is "ugly". Because I've countered this POV before. And her aunt will have to explain it whether she accepts it or not. But she gets a pass because SHE'S GODDAMN 12.
ZackDeMars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I was [expletive] pissed about the design but it grows on me so i'm rather ok right now I mean it's cool to have some relevant changes especially if they follow the manga ART and STORY !
But the change of voice actors is a CRIME for me coz they could make it right ! I really think i'm hallucinating how there is this dictate of youth and appalling business of half seiyuu half idols !

I'm complaining coz the dubbing was good and because .. per say, Toru Furuya said he would LOVE to be part of the new show and they did not even cast him back oO'' !? WTF ?
So all the "they didn't want to do it again" thing was BULLSHIT !!

I am definitely signing this useless petition ! If I knew then I would hav done it wayyy before . .
http://twitition.com/i3399

You could have change the villains seiyuu, side characters or outher senshis even ( Ogata, Katsuki, Minaguchi were fabulous though) but don't you DARE messing with my inners senshis !! ToT

シクシク
mdreura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Does the preview video strike anyone else as a tad too stoic and serious? When I think of Sailor Moon I basically think of the crybaby heroine with the heart of gold who oversleeps, eats too much, trips over her own feet, and bawls her eyes out in the face of the enemy, but stands by her friends and somehow at the end of the day seizes victory from the jaws of defeat.

I see plenty of the cool heroic stuff in the preview, but none of the comedy. That's a little disappointing. I really hope that isn't a reflection of how the new series is going to be. Confused
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Manga's WAY more serious than the old anime. You might not like it
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Fans that would argue that the adaptation was great because it was different from the manga. They are definitely going get adaptation burn.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
As someone, who enjoyed the manga and PGSM ten times more than the first anime adaptation, this new adaptation based closer to the manga, is a big welcome to me. Well, I really do hope it is closer. Manga!Usagi wasn't so much a cry baby and a klutz. That was a good thing. PGSM put a slightly sadder effect on serious manga!Minako and that was refreshing.

Time will tell....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I was right my niece found the new designs because that kids who have access to the internet. She hates it. Just like I predicted.

As far as seiyuu's yeah it does kind of suck that many of them are not coming back. It would have been nice if many of them were able to reprise their roles. Especially for a 20th Anniversary. I mean hell, if you can get all the people back for Eva why not SM. But these are things you have to deal with and sometimes it can't be helped. But I hope that the new show will be able to pace itself out using the actual source material. But I'm curious to know how much of the series will they be able to cover in 26 episodes? Will they be able to cover much of the story arc up to the point where Uranus, Neptune and Saturn make their appearance. Well, we will just have to see. Looks like I'll have to start reading the books.
JohnATLUS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
You're Just My Love and Sailor Stars Opening Theme, The Two of the Best Sailor Moon Songs, Hope this New Remake keeps the same loving songs.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Clyde_Cash wrote:
However, PLUTO! IS! STILL! A! PLANET! Earth, Mars, Jupiter, and Neptune don't "clear their neighborhoods"! Why is Pluto-Charon any different? It's a binary planet with an ice composition; let's just leave it at that. Ditto Sedna, Quaoar, Eris, Makemake, and all the other little ice worlds beyond Neptune's orbit.

Hello there! A resident astronomer speaking.
Well, it is a dwarf planet. Really just a matter of semantic and definitions, actually. You know, for the longest time we didn't have a definition of a word "planet"? And now that we are discovering so many different things around other stars as well as in our own solar system, a consistent definition is good to have. Also, because of the lack of the definition prior, we had a very fluctuating number of planets. As such, long time ago when people were just discovering asteroids, everyone called them planets, too, and the number was in hundreds. Very mean to school children to make them memorize all of them. But then we realized that they actually special things that are more similar to each other than to anything else.

Same thing right now. Pluto is much more similar to various objects in the Oort cloud (of which there are a lot). I can assure you that a) it makes sense to group it together with them and b) Pluto itself doesn't really care if we call it a planet or not. It is still there. We aren't blowing it up or anything of that sort. In fact, we are honoring it by not lumping it together with gas and ice giants. Rather than being the wimpiest and the most awkward step-child of the solar system it is now a big sister of a giant family. Isn't that nice?

All of which ignores the fact that generations of children were taught that Pluto is a Planet. Understand the changes of classification, change is the norm in the various fields of science, but the astronomical community could have left Pluto an honorary planetary status. Instead of doing that, they decided to rub our noises in it.

Pluto's demotion is a slap in the face to its discoverer, who has now lost the honor of discovering a planet. Pluto was never the wimpiest or awkward planet as you say it was. It was a place of wonder and mystery, a planet lost in the outer reaches of the solar system. Many are looking forward to New Horizon's arrival to Pluto.

The Solar System is a much larger and interesting place now, than when I was a kid, but that is not an excuse for the astronomical community to trash a classical planet, and then paint it's action as some glorious thing.

Pluto may not give a damn what we call it, but the generations that grow up with it do. That understanding is the astronomical community's biggest failure.

Hopefully, Sailor Moon and friends will rescue Sailor Pluto from the evil clutches of the astronomical community.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:55 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
rainbowrabbit wrote:
According to someone at SailorMoonForum/Genvid, we at ANN are all "idiots" for not liking the trailer. :-/ What a horrible site.

To be fair, a lot of people here don't seem to grasp this isn't a remake of the old anime it's an adaption of the manga. If people's complaints about the trailer are "it doesn't look like the 90s anime at all" then they're missing the point entirely on what Crystal is supposed to be.

-Stuart Smith

I'm trying to understand and relate to those particular fans. But I just can't. And this is coming from someone who had his fair share of complaints in regards to a change in animation. Specifically, Tenchi Muyo! And not just the Tokyo series, that awful, awful, AWFUL movie where Tenchi got kidnapped by the ghost of his grandfather's ex. But then again, my dislike for that movie probably had more to do with the rape instead of the new animation. Unfortunately, this is just one of those things that will continue to keep the Sailor Moon fanbase divided. Right now, it's old anime vs new anime. Back then, it was dub vs original. And with an upcoming redub in the mix, it's more fuel to the fire since there are DiC fans who won't accept anything other than "Serena" and "Darien."
junmaedaisjesus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I personally welcome the introduction of new seiyuus. They may share similarities and basic character traits, but there were a lot of differences between the characters in the anime and manga. The senshi from this new series likely won't be identical in behavior/personality as the original anime, so it kind of makes sense that they would like to get new people to voice a lot of characters. I'm assuming this show will be marketed moreso towards people who were familiar with the original show/manga and not children like it was back then, so safe to say, it should be pretty different from the original anime. I don't know how many of you have recently rewatched monster-of-the-day shows, but MAN does that get tiring, even from nostalgia-gold like Sailor Moon. It might have worked when we were 7 and just needed a half-hour of colors, pretty shoujo style, and minor plot to stay entertained, but the manga is about more than that.

As for the art style, I used to consider highly-stylized art like Naoko's or someone like Arina Tanemura's to be very difficult to translate into actual, moving animation, so it's amazing to see that they have gotten so close to the original medium. I think it's beautiful and will look even better after the first episode and the introduction of more senshi.

Anyway, very eager to see how this turns out and it already looks very promising. Also anxious to see how the English-dub will be/who they might recast/how much censorship there might or might not be. Oh, and an OVA/OAD/ETC about Sailor V (from the original manga) wouldn't be just the most awesome thing ever.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote
This will probably be my last comment on this story. But the reaction among English speaking fans is pretty much divided. What about the fans in Japan? What's their response to the trailer? I'm curious because it's their opinions that really matter since ratings and merchandise sales will determine whether or not Crystal goes past one season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8