• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Online Store (sales & rentals) Reviews/Feedbacks

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
For figures and the like, I'd recommend going to the source and importing straight from Japan. I always used AmiAmi due to the lower price of items and shipping, but there's also HobbySearch, which offers a more generous points program and (machine)translations of item descriptions, but has fewer shipping options and usually higher prices. One last option is HobbyLink Japan; while their prices tend to be higher, they do offer a "Private Warehouse" feature that lets you wait sixty days to ship an item, letting you combine the hell out of shipping and last I checked they also had some of the less common types.

Also, this is all my second-best recommendation. Number one, as any past or present figure collector will tell you, is to Just Say No.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Mandarake is my shop of choice. Most stuff is 2nd hand, but I haven't gotten anything that hasn't looked brand new.
jenb1a

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
hey! I have been looking at www.boxanime.com. are they real or a fake?

I have been very careful in my buying. I want to know.

thanks

jen
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
jenb1a wrote:
hey! I have been looking at www.boxanime.com. are they real or a fake?

I have been very careful in my buying. I want to know.

thanks

jen

I know this thread is old, but if anybody still cares, no. It's not fake per se, but it's really sketchy. I mean just check the bottom of the website, it says copyright 2010.
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I am looking for a reliable website to buy Code Geass. I tried asking people on anime-planet but they all said that nobody likes Code Geass. Am I the only one left?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass is currently out of print, so Amazon and ebay are probably your best bets. Amazon has the first season relatively cheap - $50.

Funimation has rescued the license but has not yet indicated when it will be releasing the title. That will certainly be your cheapest option, if you are prepared to wait.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Best off to wait until FUNimation releases a new set. Everywhere else is pretty much bootleg central.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Code Geass was licensed by Bandai of America which closed its doors at the beginning of 2013. With that, the Code Geass DVDs that they released are out of print.

Funimation did announce at Otakon 2013 that they had licensed it and would release it on Blu-Ray. However, there is no set date for its release yet. They definitely will release it someday, that you do not have to worry about. But it will take some time

If you want them right away, you can try checking ebay periodically to see if someone will sell them at a good price. As of now, the sets on Amazon of the sold-out DVD are incredibly expensive
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
Thanks. I hope funimation releases it soon.
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I have some lists of anime that I want to get. I only go to amazon.com and rightstuf.com to compare prices. Is there a trustworthy store that I can go on and has great customer service and possibly a chat?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
chrissycrbn wrote:
I have some lists of anime that I want to get. I only go to amazon.com and rightstuf.com to compare prices. Is there a trustworthy store that I can go on and has great customer service and possibly a chat?

You've already listed the two most reliable stores, but you also might want to try out www.animecornerstore.com and www.rakuten.com as well. They're both known for having really good deals on anime every now and then. And yes, both stores are legit.
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks SpacemanHardy.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
So I've decided to expand the subject of this thread to include rentals -- in addition to locking the "Anime Online DVD Rental Outlets" thread. Therefore, I pose the following question: Does anyone rent anymore? (I don't, as I'm a broke college student.)

Last edited by nobahn on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
chrissycrbn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Not that I am aware of nbahn. Sorry. Did you try googling it?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
@nbahn
I can't speak for others, but my last rental of anime was on VHS from Blockbuster. Neither of which are available anymore. All the rental outlets here have gone out of business. I think streaming has more or less killed rental unless an area doesn't have the bandwidth to carry streaming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 29