• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extravagant Excitement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A new Metroid that opens with Samus Aran blearily rising from bed and remarking that she just had the strangest dream where she wandered a space station, turned into a scared little girl, and babbled on and on about “the baby.”
I laughed heartily.

Even though theirs is the only next-gen console I don't own, I thought MS had the best conference mainly because they just stuck to games. I'm so sick of the nonsense that these companies get into that does nothing but waste time. The only 2 games they showed that I'm really interested in are the 2 indies: Ori and Inside, but I can get them elsewhere, so I still have no reason to get the system.

Sony and Nintendo had plenty of offerings to make my purchases of their systems more justified; the fact that most of them are so far off means I'll still have plenty of time to work through my massive backlog of PS3 games.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I really wanted from this E3 was nintendo announcing a Wii u bundle for 100$ less without the gamepad (could even ship with those just release GC style controller). But that didn't happen : (

The only thing the wii u is offering me is the ability to play nintendo game. For 3-4 game per year, it's just cost too much, especially when I'll never use the gamepad anyway, so I'll have to buy a classic controller or GC adapter in addition.

I guess if I had to call a winner for me I'd be sony just cause of bloodbourne, but that's hardly worthy of an entire event.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
dang it, Nintendo, slow down with the reveals!:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230649-codename-s-t-e-a-m-roundtable-live-blog

Barely give us a moment to breath.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Microsoft showed a few things. It was mostly a mixed bag though. Very little that actually got me excited. Scalebound's hero is trying waaaay to hard to be cool and I didn't care for the art design overall. D4 looks really interesting or at least really weird but any focus on Kinnect makes me immediately skeptical. I'm also undecided on Sunset Overdrive. Nice colorful aesthetic and a fun, self-aware trailer but could get old fast. Phantom Dust looked at least interesting though and Ori looked really great.

I'm pretty disappointed in Sony too though. Perhaps even more so. Their conference left me completely cold. A couple cool indies but little else, especially in terms of exclusive content. Bloodbourne and Let it die both looked like terribly generic gorefests at this stage. I never really got into the whole Dark Souls phenomenon and Suda 51 hasn't made a good game in a decade but at least their usual output has personality. Both these lacked that completely. I'm pretty let down too that we're getting another bloody Uncharted game. I mean, Naughty Dog is pretty consistently one of the best developers out there. Don't waste their time with pumping out samey sequels. In general, I'm just really disheartened by the lack of new IP from Sony. What happened to a new console being a reason to launch some new next gen IPs?

On the bright side, Nintendo really knocked it out of the park. They showed so much amazing stuff. Going into E3 I was only really looking forward to X. Other than that the Wii U had little on the horizon. (I'm kinda over Mario Kart and Smash Bros). But now, there's all kinds of stuff. I won't bother going through it all game by game as I already did in another thread but suffice to say it looks great. And Project Steam which they just announced sounds fantastic. Sadly, little of what they announced will likely change their situation. They're mostly just preaching to the choir with most of this stuff, great as it may be. Although maybe the likes of Xenoblade X and Bayonetta 2 will finally get a few of the more fringe Nintendo fans to buy a Wii U. In any case, as a Wii U owner I'm thrilled.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Quote:
A new Metroid that opens with Samus Aran blearily rising from bed and remarking that she just had the strangest dream where she wandered a space station, turned into a scared little girl, and babbled on and on about “the baby.”
I laughed heartily.

Either you haven't avidly followed The X Button, don't hold your cursor over the article's images to read the captions, or are any/all of the above and just like that joke... 'cause he's made variations of this joke several times now! Razz Am honestly a bit sad to see it yet again, but them's the breaks I suppose. spoiler[M:OM was the first and one of two Wii games I ever bought at launch, which I actually mostly liked, so I'm still defensive about it 'kay]

Anyway! I'm surprised how genuinely excited, or at least kind-of-interested, I've ended up becoming for this E3. Was mainly concerned with the new trailer that'd show for MGSV: The Phantom Pain, and I was pleased for the most part. Almost wish it hadn't been leaked beforehand, though. And while I loved the use of Mike Oldfield's "Nuclear" in the trailer, I think it could've benefitted with a more diverse range of imagery and a bit less gore. (For instance, did we really have to have Snake blow some guy's brains out onto the screen? And he and those other guys whom Snake was fighting in the end were spoiler[MSF soldiers], weren't they? Wonder what the heck that situation was all about...)

But then my horizons broadened out a bit as the week got started. Barely paid any attention to Microsoft's conference, firstly-- didn't watch the stream for any of it, and the only news I cared to pay any real attention to afterwards was the reboot of Phantom Dust, which I never heard of before. I paid discernibly more attention to what came out of Sony's event, but the only thing from it that would've made my evening was anything more on The Last Guardian, so I became easily disappointed by its being a no-show (though No Man's Sky, Bloodbourne & Far Cry 4 look to be pretty neat). Then, on the next day, BAM I giddily bathe in all these Nintendo megatons as if I have a Wii U or 3DS. The Smash Bros stuff was exciting (the invitational-tourney streamed last night really helped accentuate it!); Xenoblade Chronicles X seems more readily on-track for an American release than its predecessor based on its good publicity already; The Legend of Zelda Wii U looks beautiful and promising; even Hyrule Warriors looks cool, and having Midna playable helps! Just as it was with the Wii last gen, I expect that the Wii U is going to be the first purchase I'll make this new generation of consoles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Quote:
I laughed heartily.

Either you haven't avidly followed The X Button, don't hold your cursor over the article's images to read the captions, or are any/all of the above and just like that joke... 'cause he's made variations of this joke several times now! Razz
I present you with a third option: I have a truly awful memory. However, I will never forget just how much I truly hate that game. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are both in my top 10 games of all time, but I hated Other M right from the start, forced myself to keep playing it for a couple of hours which only resulted in more things for me to hate until finally I had to give up and sell it (and I never sell games as evidenced by my copy of that terrible Magna Carta game that's still sitting on my self).

I'm happy that you and many others enjoyed the game, and would not want to take that joy away, but there has never been, and could never be, another game that I was excited about so much and then disappointed in so much resulting in so much unbridled hatred.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The one thing I really wanted from this E3 was nintendo announcing a Wii u bundle for 100$ less without the gamepad (could even ship with those just release GC style controller). But that didn't happen : (

Learn to love it! Miyamoto's new IPs does show promise. I can see that Project Guard to get really nuts with a good number of people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIESRZro84s
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I'd be happy if a new Metroid game was a Metroid game. There's nothing really more to say about Other M and its depiction of Samus - all people on both sides have heard the other's arguments and have refutations for each and every one and debate on the subject goes nowhere - but it's also worth noting that it strayed very, very far from the gameplay that makes Metroid, Metroid, to the point of being basically the opposite.

And so you know what I want? A game that allows you explore an alien world that opens up as your explore and gain abilities, and that tells its story primarily through the environment. Starring Samus Aran. I'd even be okay with Sakamoto being on the title, so long as he doesn't have any control over plot or (especially) dialog. He had his chance and got his big-budget to show his vision of Samus; now let's get back to what made the series popular in the first place. Other M has been dividing the fandom for too long.
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
At this point, I'd be happy if a new Metroid game was a Metroid game. There's nothing really more to say about Other M and its depiction of Samus - all people on both sides have heard the other's arguments and have refutations for each and every one and debate on the subject goes nowhere - but it's also worth noting that it strayed very, very far from the gameplay that makes Metroid, Metroid, to the point of being basically the opposite.

And so you know what I want? A game that allows you explore an alien world that opens up as your explore and gain abilities, and that tells its story primarily through the environment. Starring Samus Aran. I'd even be okay with Sakamoto being on the title, so long as he doesn't have any control over plot or (especially) dialog. He had his chance and got his big-budget to show his vision of Samus; now let's get back to what made the series popular in the first place. Other M has been dividing the fandom for too long.

The most amusing part is your post is the attempt of trying to sound fair and neutral to 'both sides', but every other line is dripping with contempt and shoehorning words in people's mouths. Your post is incredibly transparent in what it's trying to accomplish.

I hate to break it to you, but Metroid was never popular. Neither was Star Fox either, while we're on the subject. People love to act like these tertiary franchises are popular simply because they carry Nintendo's brand name on them but that couldn't be further from the truth just by glancing over sales numbers. You don't really get to arbitrarily decide "what made the series popular in the first place", as if it's some objective attribute that doesn't differ from person to person. If people actually are 'divided' over an installment of a franchise, that is their problem. And I always say the insecurities of a small minority should never be heeded.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It's clear that he meant "what made the series well liked". What made it memorable and well loved. He didn't mean popular as in it sold 50 million copies.

But sure jump down his throat because you need to be absolutely literal with words.
Quote:

If people actually are 'divided' over an installment of a franchise, that is their problem. And I always say the insecurities of a small minority should never be heeded.
Jesus christ, you need to get out of here with that crap. Are you a robot?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:

And I always say the insecurities of a small minority should never be heeded.

Tell that to Bayformers.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Not sure why people seem to think the "Not Link?" speculation came from rumours: it came from the mouth of Aunuma himself...

And man, E3 has been dull to me for years, but dear lord did Nintendo bring a show this year, especially through the live Treehouse stream. From the the jaw-dropping Zelda trailer to the originality and humour of Splatoon and Project Giant Robots... or the gorgeous extended gameplay for Xenoblade X, to the pure whimsy and utter charm of Yoshi's Wolly World and the new Kirby title... and then the intense Smash Bros. tournament, and those character reveals... I don't think I've ever experienced such a concentrated period of being excited about games.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
The most amusing part is your post is the attempt of trying to sound fair and neutral to 'both sides', but every other line is dripping with contempt and shoehorning words in people's mouths. Your post is incredibly transparent in what it's trying to accomplish.

[...]

You don't really get to arbitrarily decide "what made the series popular in the first place", as if it's some objective attribute that doesn't differ from person to person.

Lord, you're antagonistic. The very first thing I wrote was "I'd be happy with..." and later I say "you know what I want?" I never pretended it was anything but my opinion, and while I didn't outright say it, I also didn't really try to hide that I don't much care for Other M and its enormous stylistic departure from the rest of the franchise.

However, there are three facts here: that Other M eschews the Metroidvania structure of all (major) previous games in the franchise, that it places a much greater focus on cutscene-based storytelling than all previous games in the franchise, and that it's the most divisive game in the franchise by a HUGE margin. Surely it's not too radical a suggestion that a more traditionally-styled Metroid game could help to bridge the rift a bit?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I might have an Xbox One, but Nintendo has definitely got my attention and I am pretty sure that I intend to get a Wii U now, it really seems that it will be worth it soon.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Bayo 2 because it's being held hostage--

People are still saying this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6