• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blessing of the Campanella Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This is among Funimation's longest delays releases between licensing and release dates. On Campanella's ANN Encyclopedia entry, they have a press release about the license dated July 30, 2010.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I actually have a big soft spot for this series (it helps that I really love the OP). It's laid back and doesn't pretend to be anything other than an RPG in anime clothing. It also has possible the hottest mum in all of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
@Kadmos1
This isn't from Funimation. It is from Nozomi which is a subsidiary of Right Stuf!. They announced the acquisition of the title back last July according to the Encyclopedia. Apparently Funimation released the rights if they had them.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
It took me half a year to watch the first four episodes of this series and it wasn't really worth it in the end. It's nice but it's like if someone tried to turn A Channel into a fantasy harem - nothing looks right and more time's spent being cutesy - not even cute as they never made it that far- than in the genre of their choosing.

It's doesn't even rate fluff, it's froth. I have to say the C is very generous; I never saw the OVA but is it really good enough to push it past a D+ rating?
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the plot in the later episodes that actually had some drama with Minnette the nature of automatons and why she was captured, her origins and her creator, the meteors, the sacrifice she wanted to make, etc, etc. Of course, as mentioned, it was like nothing happened, then suddenly everything escalted in the last couple eps.

I do enjoy the cute girls not doing much and light fanservice (the OVAs were nice, I just wish they weren't CG) but since it actually did have what could've been a meaty story to tell at the very end, I wish used the earlier episodes to expand and build on it, mixing it up with harem and fanservice instead.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
This is among Funimation's longest delays releases between licensing and release dates. On Campanella's ANN Encyclopedia entry, they have a press release about the license dated July 30, 2010.

FUNimation only simulcasted this show. Right Stuf released this on DVD via their Lucky Penny label. It's also not the first time a FUNi simulcast got released on home video by someone else, as FUNi simulcasted House of Five Leaves while NIS America put that out on DVD.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I remember thinking I might watch this when it was first simulcast but saw that the reviews for ANNs season preview showed bad scores across the board.

Good to know that it doesn't really get much better in the end. Avoided!
Janitor Tzap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
It kinda reminds me of Aria, or Escha and Logy no Atelier, or even Tanken Driland.

Not heavy on action, and low keyed enough for teens and younger.

As for the OVA, and the little 2-3 minute challenge specials.
I saw them as just the staff at AIC wanting too breakout of the goody-goody format,
and do something more adult and ecchi with the characters. Rolling Eyes

But for the story rating of C, I feel is to generous.
A C- would be more my rating. Wink

Artwork is generally good for the backgrounds and the characters.

The Sub was alright.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1