• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extravagant Excitement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Sony didn't have much and MS wasn't too impressive this year. All their goods will be coming out later in the year. Nintendo def did better but it was a digital event. They phoned it in. How disappointing. Hopefully the booth swag and the bootleg hallway fared better.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
That's why I feel Nintendo is the strongest, usually. It's pathetic to see Sony and Microsoft brag about something like Call of Duty when it's available for the other console as well. They have zero to do with that game so why are they bragging about it like it's some selling point for their console when you can just get it for the competition instead? Anything that isn't an exclusive is worthless to talk about and is just wasting time. Let the third party companies talk about that game at their own booths. Nintendo's the only company that actually focuses on exclusives, because exclusives are all that you can judge a console on in the end.

No, that doesn't really make sense. It would make perfect sense if the 3rd party games in question were actually on all consoles. Then they wouldn't really be a selling point for any one console over another. But they're not on all consoles. The Wii U still lacks them. You're certainly correct in that a 3rd party game being available on PS4 as well as XBO means it isn't really a selling point of XBO over PS4 or vice versa. But obviously, by virtue of it not being on the Wii U, it will still be a selling point for one of those things over the Wii U. You can't just write them off as not exclusive when they essentially are still "exclusive" to PS4 and XBO and absent from Wii U.

sfried wrote:
Its too bad, really. Nintendo's always damned no matter what they do. "Haters gonna hate" as they would say. And if there's one thing I learned about this E3, like Reggie says, "Not my problem." (To hell with the Nintendo haters essentially)

Yeah...no. It has nothing to do with "haters". Honestly, you're being completely ridiculous. Everyone who points out a problem with or otherwise doesn't like the Wii U is a "hater"? Please grow up. People like you give Nintendo fans a bad name. No, in reality, this won't particularly change their situation because most of what they announced will just appeal to the same niche of people who already like Nintendo. Most of whom have already bought a Wii U. Even most of their new IP here is still going to appeal to the same people who like classic Nintendo stuff. And while Bayonetta and Xendoblade X and maybe Devil's Third will help a bit, they're still pretty much stuck in the same little corner they've painted themselves into which the bulk of the market will ignore. Believe it or not, it is possible to be a Nintendo fan (as I said, I was thrilled with their presentation) and still recognize that.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Sorry thats how I feel. I don't care if Nintendo was the one that saved the game. I was there day one to support Bayonetta and loved the game and now I have to buy a $200 system I don't want just to play it's sequel. It's annoying and I don't like it.

Well I don't think anybody is saying you can't find it annoying. I'd be annoyed too if a franchise I liked wound up moving to a system I don't own. But that said, its completely absurd to frame the situation as it being "held hostage". It's being released exclusively on the Wii U because Nintendo funded it. It wouldn't exist without them stepping in.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'mma jump on the bandwagon and say that Nintendo definitely won E3 this year because they focused entirely on Nintendo platform-exclusive content, not to mention that said content continues to attract the family-friendly crowd while catering just a little bit to the "hardcore gamer" crowd. The Wii U and its gamepad are finally gaining focus as a unique duo of hardware and peripheral, and they sent that message by demonstrating games that make use of it, rather than beating us over the head with it via some long, drawn-out press conference. I had a feeling that I was not misplaced in hyping the Nintendo presentation over the rest, though I'll admit that that might have more to do with Nintendo being inseparable from my childhood and gaming whimsy, no matter how good some offerings from Sony and Microsoft are (I always end up getting the Nintendo console first).

Zelda is obviously the IP I'm most clamouring for, and seeing such a vast and beautiful world in a Zelda title has helped me to finally decide to pick up Skyward Sword once I'm done with my 100% playthrough of Final Fantasy XIII (only three more hunts to go!). I never did get around to playing it, even though I pre-ordered the limited edition bundle with the golden Wii remote. Might have been extremely depressed at the time, I don't know.

I'll definitely be picking up Hyrule Warriors. I don't expect it to be a blockbuster spinoff, since the Dynasty Warriors formula has been repeated ad nauseum with slight variations for years now, but I do see the amalgamation being the most unique rendition we've been offered for quite a long time now.

I'm on the fence about Super Smash Bros, but not because of any shortcoming it has; rather, I've just been out of touch with the franchise since the original on the Nintendo 64. Maybe it's time to jump back in. Smile

I'm sold on Yoshi's Woolly World. It screams childhood nostalgia in the form of Yoshi's Story throwbacks, but in yarn form. Quite excited for it, actually. Very Happy I feel like I should play Kirby's Epic Yarn first though.

I'll agree with the general sentiment that Devil's Third seems an odd addition to the Wii U-exclusive roster, being more up Sony's ally. Whether or not I pay it any more attention will depend on whether or not I ever get in the mood to play an action-packed, ultra-violent first/third-person shooter hybrid starring Russian Vin Diesel. It looks fun, though. Might be worth a try.

Bayonetta 2, on the other hand, is finally looking interesting to me, now that they've announced its predecessor to be bundled with it for free. I can feel good about it, too, since I'll finally be expanding my Wii U catalogue beyond strictly Nintendo titles. I guess it's also a form of brand loyalty: supporting Nintendo is good in my book.

Similar idea with Xenoblade Chronicles X. I wasn't won over by the previous entry, but this one has intrigued me, after I saw the Treehouse presentation. I'm not certain it's a buy, exactly. I have to be mentally prepared for big RPG's. It'll be a hot dilemma for me, though.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a "might" for me. It looks like a secondary title, though, and thus, my partaking in it will probably depend on its price tag. Since it's a Mario-related spin-off, though, I'm not holding my breath for it to be cheap.

Splatoon, I have mixed feelings about. I am happy that Nintendo have finally unveiled a new IP, but at the same time, it still feels like a secondary minigame title for its sole purpose as a multiplayer experience. It doesn't help that, so far, we have but one stage to look at, and though the concept is creative, the landscape isn't terribly interesting. I just don't see the concept bearing the weight of a whole game. I'll definitely need to see more, but I doubt I'm picking this up.

Was only disappointed at the lack of Metroid. I reside in the crowd who loved Prime and appreciated Other M, for all its narrative shortcomings. I'm up for another console title, so I can finally see it in HD. Existing statements about Retro Studios again being a very likely developer candidate only thickens the hype.

2015 is going to be a very good year. Smile
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
What about how comfortable and durable the controller is, how powerful the hardware is, longevity of the console's components, the amount of power the console uses, quality of the console interface, online service preference, how well multi-platform games run and variety of features?

Those are all still things specifically about that console, though.

ParaChomp wrote:
Still complaining about Other M...I'm tired of seeing dead horses beaten over and over until the've become carcasses. Every chance you get you'll go and kick it just because watching it bleed satisfies you.

For some reason there's this vocal minority of people who dislike the Wii iterations of a lot of these franchises. I also see bashing for Skyward Sword as well and it being called the worst Zelda game. It's really peculiar. I thought they were both great games myself and moved both franchises forward in both storytelling and narrative. I'd say people disliked them for being different, but then I see hate for New Super Mario Brothers being more of the same, so I suppose people will complain no matter what you do.

ikillchicken wrote:
No, that doesn't really make sense. It would make perfect sense if the 3rd party games in question were actually on all consoles. Then they wouldn't really be a selling point for any one console over another. But they're not on all consoles. The Wii U still lacks them. You're certainly correct in that a 3rd party game being available on PS4 as well as XBO means it isn't really a selling point of XBO over PS4 or vice versa. But obviously, by virtue of it not being on the Wii U, it will still be a selling point for one of those things over the Wii U. You can't just write them off as not exclusive when they essentially are still "exclusive" to PS4 and XBO and absent from Wii U.

They may not be on the Wii U, but they are on both the Xbox One and the PS4; that is my point entirely. If Microsoft chooses to brag about a game when it's freely available for the Playstation 4 as well, then I question why they do that because it's not selling me on an Xbox One, it just tells me another option I have for the PS4 since those tow consoles are interchangeable as far as that game is concerned. Now, if I wanted Sunset Overdrive that would be difference and I would have to pony up cash for an Xbox One.

Obviously companies tote third parties to make up for the lack of exclusives. Just because it's not on the Wii U does not null the fact it's also available for the PS4. Sony and Microsoft are not competing with just Nintendo, but with each other. So saying a game doesn't exist on the Wii U doesn't change the fact it's also available on a competitor's console. It may sell you the XBone and PS4 over a Wii U, but it doesn't sell you an XBone over the PS4. And at the end of the day that's what Microsoft obviously wants to do. Sony as well for their multi-platform showcases.

ikillchicken wrote:
No, in reality, this won't particularly change their situation because most of what they announced will just appeal to the same niche of people who already like Nintendo.

I'm not so sure about that. Ever since Mario Kart 8 their sales have been noticibly picking up. Last week in Japan it was #2 behind the 3DS. I'd say Nintendo games are a valid way to sell a Nintendo system. And there's always new people getting into gaming as well

-Stuart Smith
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The Splatoon thing just seems epidemic of Nintendo being portrayed as a kid's toy. Whether they like it or not, this is supposed to be a rival to Titanfall, but it is portrayed as non violent paintball. I'm not going to fault them for wanting to make a Titanfall competitor, just that the one they made worsens stereotypes about their target audience.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Those are all still things specifically about that console, though.

But, you said "exclusives are all that you can judge a console on in the end" so why would things being "specifically about that console" be consistent with your statement?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
The fact that crappy FPS,zombie, and "dark n gritty" games are what's considered mainstream & Nintendo is considered niche just goes to show how backwards people's views on maturity are and pathetic modern gaming/media is.

Games should be about fun & creativity, not super macho bro dude dark/grit/sex/violence/cursing people out on your Xbone/Playstation when playing online.

But yea, Nintendo has lots of fun stuff this fall/holiday season and into 2015, hopefully it will get more people to buy a 3DS/Wii-u and remember games should be about fun, not some false sense of accomplishment/glory.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
The fact that crappy FPS,zombie, and "dark n gritty" games are what's considered mainstream & Nintendo is considered niche just goes to show how backwards people's views on maturity are and pathetic modern gaming/media is.

Games should be about fun & creativity, not super macho bro dude dark/grit/sex/violence/cursing people out on your Xbone/Playstation when playing online.

But yea, Nintendo has lots of fun stuff this fall/holiday season and into 2015, hopefully it will get more people to buy a 3DS/Wii-u and remember games should be about fun, not some false sense of accomplishment/glory.

That could not have come across any dumber or more fanboying. The medium advancing in what it can do is not a bad thing. Trying to rewind content to the days of the Nintendo seal of quality is.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Those games aren't crappy. They are extremely fun. Just because you don't like them dosen't mean they are crappy. Now you just sound like a fool, putting every game into one corner so you can right them off. Just because western games have guns or about action dosen't make them less, but of course posters like you just like to write them off all us bad. It's impossible to argue with you because of narrow minded you are.

This is why Nintendo fans are the worse.

Nintendo is'nt considered niche. Nintendo is one of the most mainstream game companies out there. Besides, there is nothing pathetic are backwards just because people don't subscribe to whatever games you like. How much of an egotistical ass can you be?

Quote:
More generalizations. Great. Never get mad when people generalize Nintendo as kiddy because your no better. First, you don't get to tell me what games should be. 2nd, if a game decides to go for a more mature angle that dosen't mean it can't be creative or fun. Of course Nintendo fan ignorance would be narrow minded not to think so. 3rd, there is nothing wrong with having different types of game. Not everyone wants whatever the hell you think games have to and should be.

Quote:
and remember games should be about fun, not some false sense of accomplishment/glory.
The first part is stupid. As if other games aren't fun. Are you just dense? Do you think people play the games you have narrow minded scorn for because they aren't fun to them? A big scorn.

Oh no your 2nd part makes sense now. You think people just play them for some false sense of accomplishment. Not only does this make you sound like an arrogant ass because you think thats the only reason people play games, but also makes you seem kind of foolish. As if people haven't been playing games sense PONg for the feeling of accomplishment that comes from beating a game, attaining a high score. defeating someone ect ect ect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Yeah, I don't get why people have been trying to demonize Nintendo's brand being associated with more family-friendly fare. It reminds me of how American comic writers and fans became really insecure over the medium and started making it solely for "hardcore" audiences only to have the entire industry implode due to short-sighted goals. If nobody else is going to try to get new generations on board SOMEBODY has to pick up the slack. Plus considering how much variety was in Nintendo's lineup, I doubt anyone would have trouble finding something they liked.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The new generation of kids are growing up on tablet and mobile games. Not Nintendo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Anyone who dismisses either of those things out of hand or presumes to speak on what all games should be is a damned fool. Writing off every colorful, family friendly Nintendo game is just as inane as writing off all that isn't. Whether you're whining about "kiddie stuff" or "stupid gritty FPS" you're basically the same insufferable person just with different tastes.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The Splatoon thing just seems epidemic of Nintendo being portrayed as a kid's toy. Whether they like it or not, this is supposed to be a rival to Titanfall, but it is portrayed as non violent paintball. I'm not going to fault them for wanting to make a Titanfall competitor, just that the one they made worsens stereotypes about their target audience.

No one's made Splatoon out to to be a rival to Titanfall. That's absurd. They have nothing in common. Where on Earth did you get this insane idea from? Unless you're so new to the industry you think Titanfall is the first shooter ever.

Splatoon doesn't really have a rival because it's a pretty unique game. If Nintendo just made "Call of Duty with Nintendo Characters" then yeah, I could maybe see comparisons. But between the paint mechanic, the transformations, and the lack of being kill focused it couldn't be any further from Titanfall or other typical shooters. Not to mention Splatoon has an actual personality to it, something Titanfall lacks.

Maybe you got Splatoon confused with Sunset Overdrive? For that one the trailer goes out of it's way to make fun of typical shooters, then the gameplay kicks in and.. it's a shooter focusing on killing zombies and is the exact same thing it made fun of other games for. Only it has an insufferably smug Dreamworks-y protagonist. Yeah.. I'd rather play Titanfall too in that case.

But as for Splatoon, if you're going to avoid that game just because 'it's like, all colorful and stuff' well, that just reflects how insecure you are in your hobby, and a big problem with a lot of modern gamers and why we're stuck with game after game of generic, white male, middle aged, brown haired protagonist filled shooters so we can appeal to those people.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Sunset Overdrive is just a typical shooter. Complete with the generic Jet Set Radio visuals and incredible free movement in how you interact with the environment. So generic and a typical shooter with platforming elements. Totally like Gears and CoD.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The new generation of kids are growing up on tablet and mobile games. Not Nintendo.

And you don't see the irony in that statement of Nintendo focusing on a mobile console and console with a tablet controller?

I am in a couple minds here about how you guys are talking about Nintendo games. And I really don't think the family friendly part of Nintendo is a bad thing, it has a place within many older gamers, for starters it is something everyone in their family can enjoy and play together "and" it is usually something you can not get on a competitor.

I play a lot of fairly violent games, things you tend to think of as mature on Microsoft consoles, my 360 games are MA or higher, and 2 of the 3 XBONE games I have a physical copy of are R. But the real mature thing is to allow my inner child to enjoy something, my joy of Pokémon has not waned, I'll play Zelda games, and Smash Bros is my favourite fighting game franchise. I think that Kid Icarus Uprising was one of the funniest and interesting games I have played, and Fire Emblem Awakening also had an engaging story with interesting characters and obsessive gameplay. And I really have no interest in racing games, they tend to be rather uninteresting, but I bought a Wii U yesterday and had some fun on Mario Kart.

I am not a general Nintendo fanboy, I barely played Wii, and even GameCube, but it feels like Nintendo stepped up their game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6