• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
For some reason, anime fans tend to love the characters like Kirito from Sword Art Online and Izayoi from Problem Children. The characters who are perfect badasses. I honestly cannot wrap my head around why people love these type of characters so much. I've heard them be called "wish characters", supposedly because people wish they could be like them. Really, is that what it is?

I'm serious, if someone right now can give me some insight on why you love a character like that, please tell me. I might be missing the reason why people love them, so enlighten me.

As for me, I love characters with flaws. Characters that develop. Case and point why people like Tomoya Okazaki, Kyon, and Daikichi Kawachi from Usagi Drop are some of my favorite characters.

you know, it's just a matter of preferences, if you like some kind of character it's ok, if others like another kind it's okay too

people can like "perfect" characters and that's totally fine, you can like character with flaws and that's totally fine too

PD: and why would anyone have to defend their preferences in the first place? why would they have to "enlighten" you? if you don't like a character just ignore it, it's not like people ask you why you like certain type of characters and makes you defend your reasons for why you like them so much right? then it's the same for others
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:

For some reason, anime fans tend to love the characters like Kirito from Sword Art Online and Izayoi from Problem Children. The characters who are perfect badasses. I honestly cannot wrap my head around why people love these type of characters so much. I've heard them be called "wish characters", supposedly because people wish they could be like them. Really, is that what it is?

I think you actually highlighted a good distinction by comparing Kirito and Izayoi. There is a difference between the two of them. Kirito is a fully idealized "wish character," whereas Izayoi is not. Yes, they are both badasses, but Izayoi is portrayed in a much more negative light than Kirito.

Kirito is portrayed as the perfect gentleman/innocent/chick magnet/caring/friendly/helpful/handsome guy who is supremely skilled in everything from sword swinging to computer hacking. He is essentially the best human being on the planet, in every way conceivable. (Even in being "too naive" to understand his sister's affections).

Izayoi is portrayed as, essentially, the loveable bastard. He's overpowered, but not a gentleman/caring/friendly type person. He doesn't even seem to be a chick magnet in the show, as I didn't see girls fawning all over him. The only girl who seemed interested in him the whole time was Black Rabbit. He's a very good human being when it comes to heroics, but his personality is very rough.

Kirito has virtually every girl in the entire gameworld drooling over him and trying to get in his pants, just so that he can reject every one of them in turn. Izayoi didn't have that aspect to him at all.

Contrary to a previous responder, I actually think Izayoi is the one who is shown to have more flaws. Yes, he's powerful, but he's not an idealized person. He does the right thing, but he is excessively dominating in how he goes about things. He also seems somewhat like damaged goods from a mental aspect.

I don't think the use of the Izayoi character is evidence that viewers have to have perfect wish-fulfilling characters. Kirito... yes... but Izayoi is not the same type of "perfect boy next door." He's someone you want to have on your side, but don't necessarily want to deal with on a daily basis.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ladies and Gents, I won't lie.

I love Attack on Titan. I love it. I freakin love it. I enjoy it so much, that even some of its flaws are endearing to me.

I love how it made anime seem cool again. I love how it actually realized a breathing world. I love how Eren, despite being criticized by some as as a stereotypical lead character, has very human and very vulnerable moments. spoiler[As well as a few very inhumane moments....]

On the subject of pacing, which is a very subjective thing to judge, I would like to point one thing out I think worth mentioning. Attack on Titan is not a straight action show.

It's not. And if you look for that, you're gonna be disappointed. Granted, that might be the fault somewhat of the creators with the trailers they showed.

It's very much a horror show, and not horror as we've come to know it. Attack on Titan operates on a sense of dread, a sense of dread that most shows can't even come close to.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Everyone who doesn't like this show is such a hardo. I wish I could be as cool as you guys.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
Everyone who doesn't like this show is such a hardo. I wish I could be as cool as you guys.

Errr....no one is saying you can't not like the show.
If anything, you seem to be making fun of the people who do like it.

It's the same shit, I swear, regardless of whether you like videogames, comics, movies, anime, freak all. Why do people have to defend what they like? Especially in a hobby as niche as this?

If you don't like it, fine. Make a comment explaining the problems you had with it, or note where you disagree with the review.

No need to be a dick about it.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

I'm still waiting for my copy of the LE BD to arrive. I caught an episode on Toonami when I was in the States a couple weeks ago. Yeah, not a fan of the dub, but of course I'm also biased. Armin sounds like such a sissy when he yells/screams.

Doesn't Armin always sound like a sissy either way?

Yanno, the super self-serving "I'd be an emotionless badass making super-logical perfect choices in this fantasy situation where giant gross monsters are constantly eating my friends and family alive" response to this show that I see over and over again says a whole lot about the people saying that and not very much about the show or the characters.

Yes, we understand, in this situation where you're watching everyone you care about get brutally slaughtered and every sliver of hope for a future is taken from you at the last minute, you'd be a flawless superhero using perfect reason to solve every problem in the smartest possible way and would never have foolish things like "feelings" about what's happening around you. It isn't a particularly strong criticism of the show, though, or its characters, or how it's written.

Attack on Titan is overwrought but that's part of the charm; I don't get why pointing that out always has to turn into "these characters are such pansies! I'd be a super badass if it were me!" thing. Such ego.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Armin's dub voice is ear-grating, especially when he screams/yells. I know Armin is more brains than he is brawn, and that's totally fine. He's not one of my favorite characters, but I don't dislike Armin at all. Imo he sounded alright in Japanese, even when screaming in fear. I just didn't like how his dub voice portrayed those same emotions and find his voice hard to listen to.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with AoT is that Eren and Mikasa's flaws seem to overtake them as characters. Eren's eternal rage against the titans and Mikasa's deep-seated issues don't leave much room for color, as far as characters go.

I like to put it this way: when the camera's not rolling, we can imagine what the cast is doing while not on their Survey Corps. missions: Sasha's stealing food, or Connie's being a jerk to Jean, or Annie's off training. What the heck do Eren and Mikasa do with their spare time? They don't seem to have much outside of each other and their hatred for titans: it's like Eren spends his free time sitting in a dark room grunting "I hate titans!" while Mikasa responds with a robotic "Eren, remember that you need to hate the titans."

I'll admit, it's a little fanfic-y, but I just can't latch on to Eren for that reason. Honestly, I'd have preferred it if spoiler[he stayed dead when the Titan swallowed him]--give spoiler[Armin] a chance to spoiler[be the protagonist. He actually grows over the course of the series.

Eren never stops being an angry teenager. That's a flawed character that, I agree, we should see more of. When it's played this close to the hilt, though... well, I can't help but latch onto that other flawed and scared teenager that is Armin.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I see nothing wrong with Erin and Mikasa's characterizations.

If I saw my Mom eaten alive like that, I would be full of rage and single minded determination.

Erin is the red hot poker, that humanity needs to kick itself in the butt.

As to Mikasa, her actions are quite understandable, and one wonders if there was more to her flashback than we have figured out.

Erin and Mikasa are my favorite characters.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
On the subject of pacing, which is a very subjective thing to judge, I would like to point one thing out I think worth mentioning. Attack on Titan is not a straight action show.

It's not. And if you look for that, you're gonna be disappointed. Granted, that might be the fault somewhat of the creators with the trailers they showed.

It's very much a horror show, and not horror as we've come to know it. Attack on Titan operates on a sense of dread, a sense of dread that most shows can't even come close to.

Sorry, but that isn't at all the nature of most of the pacing complaints that have cropped up. It's much more about how the series has a tendency to drag out both action and non-action scenes in its middle and last third. Granted, it doesn't do this to anywhere near the degree of, say, a DBZ or Naruto, and it hardly does this all of the time once episode 9 hits, but the series does still at least occasionally do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:42 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

I like to put it this way: when the camera's not rolling, we can imagine what the cast is doing while not on their Survey Corps. missions: Sasha's stealing food, or Connie's being a jerk to Jean, or Annie's off training. What the heck do Eren and Mikasa do with their spare time? They don't seem to have much outside of each other and their hatred for titans: it's like Eren spends his free time sitting in a dark room grunting "I hate titans!" while Mikasa responds with a robotic "Eren, remember that you need to hate the titans."

(Tried to keep those spoilers as neutral as possible, but anime-only fans, consider yourselves warned!)

I can get on board with that. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Eren or Mikasa, but yeah, I can see those as legitimate frustrations against the characters. I kind of get the feeling that the manga will start to dwell on giving the main trio some more development, especially seeing how Armin spoiler[seems to be heading down a slippery moral slope recently]. If Hope's interpretation of Eren's worldview is more or less correct (humans = always good; Titans = always bad), I think we'll see quite a lot of Eren coming to grips with spoiler[himself.] Especially given how spoiler[Titan-shifting] works in-universe, and how later chapters seem to substantiate a certain fan theory about spoiler[how Eren met the requirements to become a Shifter.]
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
IZFSLE wrote:

I'm serious, if someone right now can give me some insight on why you love a character like that, please tell me. I might be missing the reason why people love them, so enlighten me.

As for me, I love characters with flaws. Characters that develop. Case and point why people like Tomoya Okazaki, Kyon, and Daikichi Kawachi from Usagi Drop are some of my favorite characters.

you know, it's just a matter of preferences, if you like some kind of character it's ok, if others like another kind it's okay too

people can like "perfect" characters and that's totally fine, you can like character with flaws and that's totally fine too

PD: and why would anyone have to defend their preferences in the first place? why would they have to "enlighten" you? if you don't like a character just ignore it, it's not like people ask you why you like certain type of characters and makes you defend your reasons for why you like them so much right? then it's the same for others

Because I want to know the reasoning behind why people like them. It's not a negative question, it's something I want to know.

And how about you contribute something instead of doing the classic "people can like what they like" deal.

I obviously know that. I asked a simple question so you don't have to be the mediator.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
And how about you contribute something instead of doing the classic "people can like what they like" deal.

I'm way too neutral in this kind of stuff to do more than the classic "people can like what they like"deal

and furthermore that's how I genuinely feel about this so I'll keep with my attitude, happy or not!
spinja446

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:

If something get's popular and is critically acclaimed it's bound to have haters and they'll justify why they think it's bad. These haters are of a higher species of sorts. The internet is they're playground. They'll nitpick just about anything and everything.

Dragon Ball Z
Call of Duty
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Family Guy
Minecraft
Dubstep
Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

I could go on and on but you get the idea.... I say like whatever you enjoy and who gives a crap about other people's opinions. Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
@ROYCE'

Again you make accusations without any proof.

That makes them false accusations, and you a liar.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
I had a lot of fun watching Attack on Titan. I don't think it is quite as good as its reputation and I felt there were certainly better shows the season it came out that didn't get the same recognition but well that's life

As for characters it is the case where I found the side characters more interesting than the main ones. Eren & Mikasa are the two worst characters in the show but they are tolerable and don't detract from the series. They are just kind of one note after awhile. My personal favorites were Armin, Jean, Levi, and Annie.

As for pacing issues the only time I felt this was a problem was during the "move the boulder episodes" that was definitely the worst arc of the show but luckily it picks up after that and never drags again for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6