• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure [Part 3]: Stardust Crusaders (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 10: spoiler[Manly tears were shed for Avdol. I'm gonna miss him...]

I had just seen the OVA version of this story last week; it's about the same, but without the pig. Looking forward to the conclusion of this adventure next week--it's a good one, going by the OVA. It amazes me how the author keeps coming up with all these stands. They're so creative, and I like how strategy is a big part of the battle; it's not just a contest of who can scream loudest/glow brightest.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Glorious episode. I'd like to say that spoiler['Payback's a bitch' fit well for this episode as The Hanged Man finally falls against some clever strategy. Great action and overall execution.]

With that cliffhanger, I'm even more excited to see what's to come. Hol Horse's reactions was priceless this episode btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that mirror stand is troublesome.
At this rate, they don't stand a chance.
So far, that stand seems rather invincible.
spoiler[Those two needed a clever strategy and fast!
Glad they managed to rise to the challenge.
Centerfold]
sure was a smart one, yet very repulsive.
So spoiler[Polnareff finally got his revenge.]
Great episode!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
I tried to skim to see if anyone had already asked, but does anyone know why the subtitles changed Captain Tennille and J. Giles names? Yeah, I get the jokes in the new names, but it's weird to hear them saying (or reading in the eyecatches) J. Giles, and reading Centerfold.

(ep 11) Anyway, I guess spoiler[Centerfold's an angel] now (if they can be that lame, so can I). Razz
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
Aw yes, this is the good stuff. Actually threatening opponents, bizarre abilities and battles that require thinking and tactics to win, rather than just Jotaro going "yare yare daze, I WIN".
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I tried to skim to see if anyone had already asked, but does anyone know why the subtitles changed Captain Tennille and J. Giles names?

I don't have any insider knowledge, but I'd imagine it's pre-emptive self-censorship, on the off-chance that Captain and Tennille or the J. Geils Band might complain about the use of their names. I doubt they contacted any of these bands to try and clear permissions...

Did they use Cars, Wham, Santana, and AC/DC in the previous season?

"Dio" is generic enough to fly under the radar.

"Robert E.O. Speedwagon" may be pushing it, though...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I guess that makes sense, except that you can't copyright names, and I don't see a case for trademark infringement here. I haven't watched the previous season yet, but as for Speedwagon, they could just say they named him for the truck like the band did.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Did they use Cars, Wham, Santana, and AC/DC in the previous season?

"Dio" is generic enough to fly under the radar.

"Robert E.O. Speedwagon" may be pushing it, though...

The non-legit fansub I watched did, no surprise. I'd be willing to bet CR's official subs won't. And yes, I'm sure it's to stave off the potential of a legal hassle. If you use somebody's real name in a fictional work you need to get their permission to do so. That's why all productions do what's called an "errors & omissions" report. Even if you make up a name like, say, Steve Harpin, someone has to make sure that there isn't a real Steve Harpin out there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Well replacing Tennille with Dragon is just as bad then, maybe worse, since "Captain" Dragon is a real person.

But I don't think that's true for every character. Some real person is bound to have that name somewhere. I think you just can't use real people's names along with characters that are fictionalized versions of those people. You can have the name without the real person, or the real person under a different name, but you can't have both.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
It's a bit more complicated than that. Let's say you set a film in New York City and you have a character whose name is James Grady and he's a fire fighter. You'll want to make sure there are no fire fighters in NYC called James Grady, and in fact, you're best off making sure there are no fire fighters with that name period.

If you call a character John Smith chances are you'll be okay because there will be a ton of John Smiths, but to be on the same side, you still wouldn't want to have your fire fighter called that if there is a real John Smith who is a fire fighter.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that what I said? "you just can't use real people's names along with characters that are fictionalized versions of those people." If you have a NYC firefighter with the same name as a real NYC firefighter, there's room to argue that he's a fictionalized version of the real guy.

But I still think there's a lot of leeway offered by the "no persons living or dead" disclaimer, not to mention parody, or they would have made a different joke than Captain Dragon, since they can't hope to convince anyone they weren't referring to Darryl Dragon when the original name was Captain Tennille. But since they weren't trying to present the real Darryl Dragon as a murderous Stand-using sea captain, I think it falls under parody.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
No offense, Gina, but it doesn't really matter what you think. You're kind of talking out of your butt without any real world experience in these matters. Companies usually take a very conservative stand on using real names or of real groups. If you use them without getting clearance, you can run into legal difficulties. Even if a case never goes to court, companies want to avoid any potential hassles. I work for a film and TV production company so I know a thing or two about this stuff.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Then explain why they're using a real person's name, with a direct reference to that person?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Then explain why they're using a real person's name, with a direct reference to that person?

On the Japanese side, it's probably because no one at Shuueisha in the 1980s would have ever dreamed that Jojo would end up being a TV show released in the USA, where the silly names might be noticed by the people named. I don't know how Japanese law deals with this kind of thing, but clearly they felt safe in doing what they did domestically, and weren't worried about being noticed from overseas.

On the US side, though, companies clearly do not feel safe. "Dragon" and "Centerfold" are an attempt to keep a flicker of the original references in, while making them low-profile enough that only fans will make the connection.

I mean, if a Hollywood movie came out with superheroes randomly named DiCaprio, Timberlake, Disney, Beiber, and Leia D. Gaga, you can bet the people named would be banging down the doors for a cut of that pie, on the grounds that their fame was being exploited to promote someone else's work.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I was describing the situation in North America to explain why CR isn't following the Japanese source material. For the Japanese original I have to assume they either got clearance to use the names or, more likely, they don't care because they think it unlikely that the people named are going to make a fuss in Japanese courts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10