• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Sinks! Author Sakyo Komatsu's 1st Manga Discovered in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow.

This is quite something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
That manga belongs on display in a museum, maybe the University has a museum to put this on display.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
That manga belongs on display in a museum, maybe the University has a museum to put this on display.

It wouldn't particularly do any good to be in a musuem. Plenty of college/libraries have old and notable books in their collections. They do more good there than they would at some musuem where access to them would be significantly more limited.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Given the age of this I don't think the original document should be handled much, Creating a digital version seems a much more sensible choice if peoople want to read this.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
This is an interesting find. It always surprises me what someone will find when not looking. Whether it's the Unicorn Tapestries in someone's garage or a lost painting. Now that we have been looking into manga and publishing old works now people are keeping their eyes open. I find it interesting that I just finished reading that column on Tezuka and Sugiura and now look what we found? Another piece of history.

I wonder if anyone will try and publish it like Mysterious Underground Men or Last of the Mohicans. Chances are that book looks very delicate and they might not let anyone touch it. But great news.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:
Given the age of this I don't think the original document should be handled much, Creating a digital version seems a much more sensible choice if peoople want to read this.

Certainly, a digital distribution would be the practical way to give the most people easiest access to the work, but a publication from 1948 is probably not going to crumble to dust in one's hands: I pick up all kinds of books at library sales that were printed in the 1880s-1930s, and they're readable enough.

I remember how much I enjoyed the visits to my university's old and rare books collection—we signed in, we couldn't take the books out of the building/reading room, so they limited the handling that way (which is wise). But we got to hold and read them, see up close how they were printed, and there's something wonderful about the experience that you don't get from reading it digitally (or even in a reprinted edition). So I'm thankful for institutions that have these kind of book collections and no, I wouldn't put it in a museum behind glass.

(it could just be I'm an old-book (and old-things-in-general) enthusiast... okay, I know that much is true :) )
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

It wouldn't particularly do any good to be in a musuem. Plenty of college/libraries have old and notable books in their collections. They do more good there than they would at some musuem where access to them would be significantly more limited.
[/quote]
That would be the case, I went to my town's art museum a while back and thought of that as I passed by several display cases of books that were basically opened to a certain page and left there behind encased glass. It doesn't serve much purpose if you couldn't see the entire thing (which a thorough scanning of each page and placing it up online someplace would do a better job of).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1