• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Attack on Titan BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Nobody in the history of this website has ever been paid by an outside company to write positive reviews.

Some people have different opinions than you and it isn't because of some insidious outside force, it's because they don't agree with you.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
There is no way this show can have an "A" for the story, it has serious issues. The grade should be "B", or, if you really like it, "B+".
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Is it me, or does Hope Chapman get more weird bullshit thrown at her than the rest of the reviewers who write for ANN?

MaxSouth wrote:
There is no way this show can have an "A" for the story, it has serious issues. The grade should be "B", or, if you really like it, "B+".

There's no way this post should have been put up for public consumption, it has serious issues. It should have been kept in private consideration until its writers attained awareness of the assumed, implicitly asserted values that underlie it, but are not explained or used to actually engage the substance of what was written in the review.

Seriously, dude, are you an accounting program that attained sentience and went rogue by trying to post about anime? It's about the only way I can explain your absolute, weirdly mechanistic attitudes toward art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Eh, adding to the subjective opinions bit. Alot of your enjoyment of a series isn't whether a story is flawed or not. It's whether the strengths of series overcomes the flaws.

One of my favorite comics out there is a manga called "Eden: It's an Endless World". As a narrative I can make a giant list of where it goes wrong. It goes on giant flashbacks for minor characters, it has three separate plot-lines one which goes into quantum physics, characters awkwardly talk about religion and philosophy in the middle of the action. But I love it to bits. I love how it's a rant on everything wrong with humanity while celebrating the human condition. I love how it shows that every minor person has a history and importance. I love the story's portrayal of violence and how violence in the manga leads to Pyrrhic victories at best. It will get an "A" for me if I'd review it.

Now for the anime Wolf's Rain. Lots of great animation, lots of great themes. Great apocalyptic fantasy, I should love this. I could not get into any of the characters. They felt too flat, too cold. The pacing was also kind of dull and the whole series was a slog to get through. So despite everything it does right, it gets a C-.

So yes, I would completely understand people who found Eren, Mikasa, and Armin too archetypal and flat. Who were annoyed at the crazy melodrama, hated the pacing. Thought the build-up was uneven. Didn't feel the twists were foreshadowed enough, whatever. For me the strengths outweigh the flaws.

For you it's the opposite, and that's fine. That's great even. People should have diverse opinions and debate. As long as you realize that they're Japanese cartoons, and you're aren't an awesome badass rebel because you think it's over-rated. That's just... a bit pathetic...
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
The series had potential at first and I thought it would be something intricate and complex but it turned out to have little substance and plot. I dropped it after a few eps but got back to watch it because I heard about Rivaille so I skipped right to his entrance and only watched his bits because overall pacing was so slow.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'd give the dub a B and the animation an A. But other than that I actually agree with a review for once! Very Happy
Side note: I actually don't love AOT. I really like it but it's just not my taste. Didn't even bother to read the manga after watching the whole show thus far. xD
Preacherofdoom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
i believe it was an article on this very site comparing the dub script to the sub and defending it mostly. the dub is a perfect example of being pretty good, but they changed the meaning of certain lines so much too often that it's a failure overall. in my eyes, it only adds fuel to the hardcore sub only fans' argument: dubs at their best usually only equal the sub and most of the time simply fudge up what was originally done correct. the anomalies exist such as cowboy bebop that even the creator admits the dub is better than the sub. that's so rare however. titan should only be watched subbed first time round if you want to see the best version of it. the dub is an inferior version for those too lazy to read a few words of text every few seconds.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Is it me, or does Hope Chapman get more weird bullshit thrown at her than the rest of the reviewers who write for ANN?

No, it's something I've noticed, too, and it's a real shame since I find Hope to be a straight shooter.

As for the show itself, I have to say, I'm genuinely impressed. Since I prefer to watch my anime dubbed, it means that I come into most shows with hype behind them somewhat late, and a lot of times that hype can leave me expecting too much. But in this case, I'm actually just as excited after watching the first 13 episodes as I was going into it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

No, it's something I've noticed, too, and it's a real shame since I find Hope to be a straight shooter.

actually she hit the reviews right on the button. are they flaws?absolutely. but nothing too serious. besides eva had the same too and it was more controversial.

luckily eren is no shinji ikari , though he can act like an ass. especially when around mikasa. dont be surprised if she does get killed off in the near future to grow him off of the uber annoying child like stage cause even i admit from the way its going , i can predict a main player would bite the dust later on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
Preacherofdoom wrote:
i believe it was an article on this very site comparing the dub script to the sub and defending it mostly.

Do you mean this review of the first five episodes?

Everything in your post that is about the Attack on Titan dub was discussed in great detail in that review, and the thread for it.

Everything in your post that is not about the show is just another "subs are better than dubs" argument, which is pointless and would be out of place here even if there was a point to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
IZFSLE wrote:
Zac wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Doesn't Armin always sound like a sissy either way?

Yanno, the super self-serving "I'd be an emotionless badass making super-logical perfect choices in this fantasy situation where giant gross monsters are constantly eating my friends and family alive" response to this show that I see over and over again says a whole lot about the people saying that and not very much about the show or the characters.

Yes, we understand, in this situation where you're watching everyone you care about get brutally slaughtered and every sliver of hope for a future is taken from you at the last minute, you'd be a flawless superhero using perfect reason to solve every problem in the smartest possible way and would never have foolish things like "feelings" about what's happening around you. It isn't a particularly strong criticism of the show, though, or its characters, or how it's written.

Attack on Titan is overwrought but that's part of the charm; I don't get why pointing that out always has to turn into "these characters are such pansies! I'd be a super badass if it were me!" thing. Such ego.

For some reason, anime fans tend to love the characters like Kirito from Sword Art Online and Izayoi from Problem Children. The characters who are perfect badasses. I honestly cannot wrap my head around why people love these type of characters so much. I've heard them be called "wish characters", supposedly because people wish they could be like them. Really, is that what it is?

I'm serious, if someone right now can give me some insight on why you love a character like that, please tell me. I might be missing the reason why people love them, so enlighten me.

As for me, I love characters with flaws. Characters that develop. Case and point why people like Tomoya Okazaki, Kyon, and Daikichi Kawachi from Usagi Drop are some of my favorite characters.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but it's probably because the viewers can easily see themselves inserted into the character (or, to make it simpler, the viewers wish to be big, strong and courageous and the near-flawless character represents and fulfills that wish.).

I contribute this to the reason perfectly flawed (and written) characters like Sansa Stark (from Game of Thrones), Korra (from The Legend of Korra) and Renton Thurston (from Eureka Seven) get/got a lot of hate. These characters tend to remind the viewers of what's real (or the kind of personality traits the normal viewer has) and it greatly upsets them.

Or something. I don't know Laughing
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I found this to be one of the best reviews I've ever read on this site. Really, it rose above being a review and became a critical analysis which I think was pretty accurate. I was looking for points to disagree on, but really found nothing but an interesting and thoughtful write-up.

Anyway, I really just came in here to say that after 20-some years of watching anime while my anime-hating husband would walk by and make sarcastic comments, he finally sat down next to me and started watching at the end of episode 5. Last night, when we sat down to watch some TV and I asked what he was in the mood to watch, he said, "Is there any more of that Attack on Titan recorded?" There was, and by the end of the second episode we watched he was on the edge of his seat wanting more.

I asked why he liked that and not other animes. He said

1. There was a lot of mystery to it that made him want to find out how things got that way. He likes stories with puzzles, like Lost, or Rendezvous with Rama. And he thought the mystery seemed intelligent, like there was a plan to it.

2. He liked how the characters were determined to fight even when it seemed inevitable that they'd lose (he loves Walking Dead also). He also liked the characterizations and the way they were drawn ("no big eyes").

3. He thought the Titans were hysterical for all that they were monsters. Kind of like kaiju, which are cute and terrifying at the same time. (Actually, Godzilla and Pacific Rim may have paved the way for him in this.)

4. There "was no cute anime girl ****, and were no stupid fights calling out super powers". So, not his idea of typical moe and shounen they show on TV.

5. It was exciting, and it was geared more toward adults.

What he didn't like: The use of stills (he doesn't like this about anime, can't blame him).

So there you have my husband's couch review. It wasn't anything deep that pulled him in. I think it reminded him of Walking Dead, except with giant silly-looking monsters with mysterious pasts. He was entertained. And he's broadened his horizons a little. Now to find something else he'd like...
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Preacherofdoom wrote:
the anomalies exist such as cowboy bebop that even the creator admits the dub is better than the sub. that's so rare however. titan should only be watched subbed first time round if you want to see the best version of it. the dub is an inferior version for those too lazy to read a few words of text every few seconds.

Watanabe has never, ever, ever said the dub was better. Where is this interview? I have yet to find an interview of Watanabe saying the dub was better or even mentioning the dub. Why would he care? Anyway, I personally thought the CB dub was above average at best, but compared to newer dubs, it's eh. It's heavily overrated by those who saw it first on Adult Swim. Also, CB's dub adds talking where none of it exists and in a lot of scenes, so I wouldn't use a dub like Cowboy Bebop to attack other dub scripts. The movie dub is as liberal as many dubs of Funimation. Also, why is the dub for lazy people? People who aren't lazy wouldn't need subtitles either, since they would be able to understand it anyway, but whatever, I suppose that "laziness" theory only works one way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6